Bone in Rib-eye Roast

Thanks for all the great tips! I purchased a 7lb bone in rib eye roast as well and will utilize these tips on my cook tomorrow. I’ve rubbed oil, binder, and my beef rub on it and intend on doing about 35 min/lb until I hit about 130. Aiming for a medium rare.

my main question is will an extended rest period cause any issue to my cook? I plan on bringing it to a friends house so it would be about 3 - 4 hours from off the grill until it is cut. Should I take it off sooner and do a short bake when we get there? Wrap in butcher paper and place in a cooler with towels?

thanks!

I would say use the 35 min/lb as a guesstimate. It's close, but all meats act differently. If you are wanting a medium rare of 130 and you have several hours to go until it gets onto the table, I would shoot for 120 or there abouts, wrap it good in paper or foil and towels to keep in the heat. Once you get to where you are going, I would plop it into a screaming hot preheated oven at 500 for about 8-10 minutes to get a good crust on it and get it a little warmer, but not restarting to cook it.

Convection probably would be best. I would bring along a temp probe to monitor the temps as you do this to make sure you don't go past where you want to be. Others may chime in differently, but that's what I would do in this case.

The other option is to get there earlier and cook it there and be done with it. Either way, I think you would be fine.

Grill Bretheren, I posted this in another thread. I’m hitting the Egg Nog so excuse any typos.

I realize it‘s getting late in the cooking game and I certainly appreciate the feeedback that was provided to the OP‘s question. I can’t wait to try some of the suggestions. One thing I have learned about large beef, turkey and pork cooks is that it all starts with a binder. I’ve tried many (e.g., mustard, mayo, and a plethora of infused olive oils, butters, and miscellaneous sauces), but for your application (beef) I recommend Minors Au Jus Beef Prep or Diamond Beef Base without MSG. Their viscosity allows for great coverage of your meat and when properly applied act well as the “glue“ for applying the various spices and seasonings identified here and on other pages. One thing I especially enjoy about the beef base is its‘ ability to blend with the natural beef fragrances and how it can assist in creating the “right color” for the finished item. Like always, just my opinion and I certainly appreciate any improvements anyone can add so I can continue to improve my “grilling game”

For reference I smoked a 10.72# standing rib roast yesterday.
300F dome temp (Big Green Egg) manual - no stoker.
pulled at 124.3F
3hr 18m (18.37 min/#)
Let it rest 15 min- cut off ribs
Ribs went back in at 310F for 48 minutes. Pulled them at 193 and wrapped/rest.

Family ate like little piggies

Don't know where I have been but obviously not seeing this thread. So here's my two cents worth, late as it is. This cut of meat is incredibly tender. It is not like any other roast that you would do on a smoker other than a tenderloin. It does not require a long cook to break down and render fat. With that said, it can go low and slow, but by low and slow I mean 150° in an oven until it reaches a temperature of about 115°. That can take 7-9 hours depending on size. At that point you would take it out of the oven, get the oven to it's hottest temperature (550), and sear the outside. That is an amazing cook. But it's not done on a smoker.

I made my first prime rib on the smoker yesterday. I did one for us and I did one for a friend. You can't get a smoker to 150 or 175 degrees. So basically you're cooking it at 225. If you go to 180 (lo), you're going to get too much smoke. This meat has amazing flavor on its own. So the smoke should be subtle (my personal opinion).

My 8 lb, 3 bone prime rib took 4 hours at 225. I always allow 30 minutes per pound. My goal was 115 degrees and then reverse sear to a temperature of 130. We like our meat medium rare.

I salted it in the morning and let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator. And used a savory rub (unsalted).

This is the first time I've ever tried this but I do a lot of reading and experimenting. I removed the entire fat cap. There's a layer of silver skin under the fat cap that cannot be penetrated with spices or salt. So before I salted the meat, the fat cap was removed. As far as meat prep I followed Meatheads (amazing ribs) prime rib recipe. It was a little scary to cut away that fat cap but it made sense to me. I don't eat the fat anyway. I'd much rather have more crust.

I didn't remove the bones but I think I might try it next time and cook them separately since they basically are my favorite part.

I tried using the bullseye to sear the roast although I have to say it really didn't need too much searing. It actually had developed a slight bark. I just did not like the way it's seared up. Nor did I want to deal with fire and prime rib at the same time. So for the second roast, I basted it with melted butter after it came off the smoker, and put it into a 550° oven for about 7 minutes. I'm not sure that made a difference or not. But everything's better with butter 😉

We were both really happy with the results. And as you can see, from the photos, there's definitely a crust that formed.

I was very pleased with how this came out. I still have another one in the freezer I might play with for New Year's.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• PXL_20201226_005237126.jpg
    PXL_20201226_005237126.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20201226_010255421.jpg
    PXL_20201226_010255421.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20201226_011451848.jpg
    PXL_20201226_011451848.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20201226_011545950.jpg
    PXL_20201226_011545950.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 121
Hey all, I just bought a 5 lb ribeye roast and wondering if anyone has smoked one with good results? If so do you mind sharing your process? Or would it be best just to use the oven?
Thanks
I'm a bit late to the conversation...busy time of year...but I've got a 6 lb bone-in prime rib aging in the refrigerator right now for New Year's Day, our traditional prime rib day. I plan to use Susie's recipe from Hey Grill Hey for a garlic butter encrusted prime rib. Another forum member gave a link to her personal web site, but she has quite a good channel on YouTube as well. Here is the video of her cooking the roast with her recipe:

You may not want these flavors but she steps you through the basics of a prime rib cook, just substitute seasonings as you see fit. Note she cuts the bones off once the cook is done. My only other comment is cooking to 145º internal is really well done...if that is to your tastes so be it, but I will not subject our $75 roast to such abuse. 😏 Also, as Susie and her husband demonstrate, I see no need to cut the bones off and then put them back on the grill...whatever level of doneness meets your standards for the meat should be fine for the bones as well. Then the bone chewers can enjoy a bone and the free standing roast can be cut in less-thick slices for serving for those wanting a more controlled portion. Good luck.

I have cooked several always at 225. The last one was Wednesday. Time depends on size and outside temperature. I use horseradish mustard for the binder and one of several beef rubs-Ben's Hefer Dust is good. I'm hungry right now.

Thanks all, I smoked my roast yesterday and it turn out excellent. Used beef concentrate,Kosher salt,PG 24 hrs in the fridge. Pulled out of fridge 4 hours prior to smoke at 300* then pulled at 133* internal temp (I meant to pull at 130). Rested in foil for 30 minutes. It was not overcooked IMO and plenty juicy. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks. Was a 6.5# (2 bone) semi-boneless roast. Coat with beef base, sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs, dust with rub, and into the RT-700 at 300°F until 130°F internal. Plus some roasted baby potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, and a horseradish sauce.

I'll need to eat again later this week...

Thanks. Was a 6.5# (2 bone) semi-boneless roast. Coat with beef base, sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs, dust with rub, and into the RT-700 at 300°F until 130°F internal. Plus some roasted baby potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, and a horseradish sauce.

I'll need to eat again later this week...
What rub did you use?

I am doing a rib roast tomorrow and came across this thread while researching. The link is this post recommends searing before cooking in the oven or smoker. Won’t that keep the meat from absorbing any smoke?
I have never seared before smoking one. I just season, toss on at 225 and go to desired temperature. I will remove the bones and toss them in a hot oven while the roast is resting. I have found they need a bit of extra time and heat to finish.

20211224_170711.jpg

20211224_170704.jpg

I've started low for a bit to put some smoke on the meat, then crank up to finish the cook. I may have to try this method.

I'm really only posting because I was in awe of @MikeK 's piece of meat. I'd love to be able to justify purchasing something like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back