Bone in Rib-eye Roast

cjrazus1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey all, I just bought a 5 lb ribeye roast and wondering if anyone has smoked one with good results? If so do you mind sharing your process? Or would it be best just to use the oven?
Thanks

I have done two or three on our Bull and been quite happy. For one that size I would do about 3.5 hours at 225 degrees to hit 145 degrees internal temperature. My last one was about 9.5 pounds and ran for 7 hours. I keep it pretty simple, just a light coating of canola oil and rub of your choice. Our favorite for beef is the Recteq Heffer Dust.

145 is hella done

I pull at 125, wrap and rest for at least an hour.

don’t forget to debone after cooking and throw the bones back on until they are done.

Attachments

• 2C3B2BE5-D4E9-49FD-855E-10D2DFFCBEF9.jpeg
    2C3B2BE5-D4E9-49FD-855E-10D2DFFCBEF9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
Looks delicious. I picked up a prime boneless 5lber today. Planning on smoking until 125° and then searing in a cast iron skillet tomorrow.

Moonkusser2k that looks nice.
To specify I have a bone in Rib-eye Roast. Thank you all for your input

PS I know what binder typically means, but for smoking? I am assuming beef broth makes the rub stick? Also, do you mind sharing your rub? For now I am leaning to traditional mustard, salt and pepper?

PS I know what binder typically means, but for smoking? I am assuming beef broth makes the rub stick? Also, do you mind sharing your rub? For now I am leaning to traditional mustard, salt and pepper?
Yes, binder is something to help the rib stick. For pork I often use yellow mustard. For the rib roast it was beef base, not broth. You can find some in most supermarkets, the Better Than Bouillon brand is one. Other folks might go with olive oil. For the rub I just used some SPOG but go with what you like.

My wife swears by Better Than Bullion. I may give that a try. My main concern is hot and fast or low and slow?

145 is hella done

I pull at 125, wrap and rest for at least an hour.

don’t forget to debone after cooking and throw the bones back on until they are done.
Are you saying to put the bones back on the smoker/grill for a bit? Do you just go 225 for another 30 minutes or so for the bones?

Is it better to seperate the bone before cooking and tie it back together, or remove after cooking?

I did one that size a week ago. 225 for about 2.5 hours until it hit 125. Put it in the oven at 400 for ten minutes to get a nice crust. Tented with foil to rest for 20 minutes. Tasted incredible and doing another for Christmas the same way.

Last edited:
Beef base/concentrate in general is a good thing. Easier than keeping cans of broth around, and I hadn't thought of using it on meat before. We liked the effect - felt like it actually added something, unlike other binders.

Thanks for all the replies. A few good ideas. I am excited to try mooncusser’s first. Much appreciated.

Is it better to seperate the bone before cooking and tie it back together, or remove after cooking?
Do not remove the bones u til it is done cooking. You buy a bone in standing rib roast for the flavor the bones impart while cooking.

Do not remove the bones u til it is done cooking. You buy a bone in standing rib roast for the flavor the bones impart while cooking.
Thanks. I picked up a smallish 4-bone 9.5# prime rib. I saw a couple vids where they would slice the raw meat down along the bones, making a “hinge” and then onto the grill it goes, typically cook til 122-125 & pull from grill, then possibly sear for a few more minutes...then when cook is complete after resting, finish cutting through the hinge, then finish cooking the ribs. I think I’ll try a similar approach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back