How long to smoke a bone in ribeye roast.

Steves55

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is going to be an odd one. I have 2- 5 lb rib eye roasts- fat cap on- my wife won in a contest at local grocery store. Dinner is Sunday but I'll be smoking Saturday. The plan is to dry brine with kosher salt in refer for 24 hours. Leave the fat cap on but score it with a knife. Remove from refer Sat, let it rest for 1.5 hrs, season & into the smoker fat cap up. Smoke at 220 with a smoke tube. When probe hits 105, remove- let sit a bit & vacuum seal. Put into a cooler packed with towels. The next morning, drive to son's house, remove meat from cooler, reinsert probe & put on a gas BBQ for a sear until internal hits 120. My question is how long will it take to hit 105 @ 220? I want to start this as late tomorrow as possible. The meat quality is choice but hell- it was free! And no- I don't have a Sous Vide :(
I'm getting google searches of 2-4 hours on smoker to hit 120 but I don't want to cook to 120. I can smoke at 200 if the meat will be more tender.
Tips? Time?

I'm no expert, but I have done an hour of smoke at 180 - 225 (I've experimented with both temps), then crank up to 375 to cook in a method similar to roasting in an oven.

My record keeping wasn't very good in the past so I don't have cooking time or the weight of the roasts.

You have a few more wrinkles in you plans, but they sound okay to me.

I'm no expert, either, p but I would Imagine the time to get to 105 would have variables. The 1st one that comes to mind is, what is the temperature of the roast before you put it on the smoker? Is it just coming out of the refrigerator? Have you let it sit out for half an hour? Is it at room temperature? These are going to Greatly affect the time it takes to get to 105. I would be less concerned with a few minutes of cook time and just estimate it and enjoy myself. Good luck!

Well, I got voted out of the cook. Wife is going to oven cook early tomorrow morning at 5am, wrap & take it with us for Christmas dinner. Probably easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back