advice on chest freezer alarm

wexplorew

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
  2. Bull
  3. RT-300
My old, junk Whirlpool, chest freezer had one thing nice on it and that was the built in temp alarm to left me know how often it died.

After nearly losing hundreds of pounds of meat I purchased a new Frigidaire, but sadly it does not have a built in temp alarm so I'm looking for something to alert me when the inside temp of the chest freezer reaches a certain temp.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

My old, junk Whirlpool, chest freezer had one thing nice on it and that was the built in temp alarm to left me know how often it died.

After nearly losing hundreds of pounds of meat I purchased a new Frigidaire, but sadly it does not have a built in temp alarm so I'm looking for something to alert me when the inside temp of the chest freezer reaches a certain temp.

Anyone have any good recommendations?
Yep

I'm using YoLink for temp monitoring of my 3 fridges & 1 freezer.

This is a good starter kit that includes 2 temp/humidity sensors. You will get alerts on your phone anywhere you are, e-mail setup and texts (that is limited in the free plan). The hub talks as well so if you are sitting near it you will hear the alert spoken out at the time it is received. It also retains a history.

Plus, there are many other available sensors/devices you can build on.

Edit: There is also a $5 off coupon available

I'm using YoLink for temp monitoring of my 3 fridges & 1 freezer.

This is a good starter kit that includes 2 temp/humidity sensors. You will get alerts on your phone anywhere you are, e-mail setup and texts (that is limited in the free plan). The hub talks as well so if you are sitting near it you will hear the alert spoken out at the time it is received. It also retains a history.

Plus, there are many other available sensors/devices you can build on.

Edit: There is also a $5 off coupon available
Nice system. Wish they made a smart plug with a battery backup that would alert you if the electricity goes out. My freezers are in the garage and are on a GFCI plug so there is always a chance it will be turned off. Unfortunately it is connected thru several GFCI plugs so if one of them is thrown they all go dark. I found this out when I didn't have any power in my garage and finally figured out the GFCI plug by the front door had gotten wet and turned off.

We, too, use YoLink and have been using a number of sensors and switches for 2 years.

A little outside the box, but I have a chest style freezer on my back porch that my ex-girlfriend’s dad rigged up for us when we moved in together. He has a thermostat wired to an old school bell that he mounted to the front of the freezer. He put the thermostat inside of an old cookie tin and used an adhesive to stick it to the bottom of the freezer. When it goes off the whole neighborhood will know something is wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back