RT-1250 advice with new purchase - RT-1250 vs. Traeger 1300

The Traeger Timberline all day long. I had the 850 and 1300 and never had an issue. Far more reliable and safer than what I have experienced with my 1250. Do a search of smoke explosions or lid pops here. They're pretty prominent. So much so that RT customer service has an automated email they send out when you report one in which they gaslight you and try to downplay what actually happens by calling it a "pop".

Eight months in and this is the only speck of rust on my Yoder. I’m in SE Kentucky, so not arid but not seaside either. The grill has cooked in the rain, been left out to cool in the rain, so It’s no stranger to moisture. Even if it was showing rust on the cooking chamber, etc., not sure what impact that might make. There are tons of mild steel offset smokers that have never see an indoor home or a cover (mine from a previous time included), and those folks apparently don’t have a major issue with it not being stainless. Now in full disclosure, I did buy the stainless grates for the Yoder because all grills I’ve owned with mild steel, chromed or not, grates eventually have an oxidation problem with the high heat.

IMG_1616.jpeg

A little bit of rust killer and a dab of black Rust-Oleum paint should solve that problem, @Greg Jones. :rolleyes: Let us know when you actually experience a problem with the Yoder.:ROFLMAO:

200.gif

In the meantime, we could talk about my PK grill-great things are happening!
Ok, my better judgment says I should just hit "Like" and move on.

Now that the disclaimer has been made, I'm pretty sure I need that for my PK. Is that "build" or "buy"?

Ok, my better judgment says I should just hit "Like" and move on.

Now that the disclaimer has been made, I'm pretty sure I need that for my PK. Is that "build" or "buy"?
A little of both. Not shown is the rotisserie, which is optional. The Burn Shop sells the pre-cut Kit the user assembles it. I also bought their ash basket last year-well made stuff.

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Camp Chef and could really use some advice. Was originally thinking of the Traeger 1300, as it is on sale at a highly discounted price of $1700. Still $$, but a far cry from the $2300 it was. However, my son-in-law suggested that I look at Recteq, and the RT-1250 caught my eye. I've looked at reviews, but most are addressing the 1300 as a $2300, overpriced grill compared to the RT-1250. However, as they're now essentially the same price, what are your thoughts? I fully appreciate that - as a Recteq forum - there will likely be bias, but I would still appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance :)
I have had several Traeger’s over years. Was happy with all of them. Then went to a 590 about 7 years ago. I like the build quality better and the contoller has been spot on.
If I had to buy again I would go Reteq.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'd like to put my order in ASAP in the hopes I'll have it for a party in a couple of weeks. Now the question is... 700 or 1250? Is it accurate that the 700 has been updated to have the same augur as the 1250? It still lacks the extra interior shelf and front folding shelf, though. Are there any other differences?
There are a few additional differences. Such as the auxiliary plug and I think removal of the light. Overall, I would recommend you not look at the base packages for comparison but include key upgrades such as the Competition Cart and Front Shelf being factored into total cost for the RT700 versus the basic 1250. Especially if you plan to move your smoker around on anything other than smooth level pavement. I have the RT700 and use it with either the internal big shelf or 2 small shelves and get greater flexibility for my cooks that I would have with the RT1250, which is what smoking is all about, having choices!

There are a few additional differences. Such as the auxiliary plug and I think removal of the light. Overall, I would recommend you not look at the base packages for comparison but include key upgrades such as the Competition Cart and Front Shelf being factored into total cost for the RT700 versus the basic 1250. Especially if you plan to move your smoker around on anything other than smooth level pavement. I have the RT700 and use it with either the internal big shelf or 2 small shelves and get greater flexibility for my cooks that I would have with the RT1250, which is what smoking is all about, having choices!
Unless something has changed the 1250 comes with the same legs/cart as the 700. I wish it would have came with a standard comp cart. Already had to replace the casters once and am currently looking into upgrading them.

Chevys…
You are correct. The basic package for each exclude the C-Cart. If I had a choice, I would pick the RT700 with the c-cart and shelf and it would be a better value proposition than the 1250 basic for around the same price point. YMMV and perhaps the second shelf has value to some but my Bull loves to roam the property and I wouldn‘t feel comfortable with the standard stand and wheel assembly if I had a choice. This is especially true since the auger motor and internals have been updated on the RT700 to match the RT1250s internals. Thanks for the response.

Chevys…
You are correct. The basic package for each exclude the C-Cart. If I had a choice, I would pick the RT700 with the c-cart and shelf and it would be a better value proposition than the 1250 basic for around the same price point. YMMV and perhaps the second shelf has value to some but my Bull loves to roam the property and I wouldn‘t feel comfortable with the standard stand and wheel assembly if I had a choice. This is especially true since the auger motor and internals have been updated on the RT700 to match the RT1250s internals. Thanks for the response.
For full price to full price that completely makes sense. Right now there is a $92 difference since the 1250 is on sale so at that price I would go with the 1250 and get the front shelf and the interior shelf.

I got my 1250 when it was released so it was the interior shelf, front shelf, auger, controller, cast iron deflector, front drip edge, wire protection and outlet that were all different. So there was a considerable difference. Not so much anymore.

I still love having the outlet on the back though.

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Camp Chef and could really use some advice. Was originally thinking of the Traeger 1300, as it is on sale at a highly discounted price of $1700. Still $$, but a far cry from the $2300 it was. However, my son-in-law suggested that I look at Recteq, and the RT-1250 caught my eye. I've looked at reviews, but most are addressing the 1300 as a $2300, overpriced grill compared to the RT-1250. However, as they're now essentially the same price, what are your thoughts? I fully appreciate that - as a Recteq forum - there will likely be bias, but I would still appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance :)
I have two residences; one has a Traeger and the other a RecTeq. I had initially purchased a second Traeger but the food was coming out undercooked even though I used the same recipes as my older Traeger. Called their Customer Service and was informed that Traeger does not guarantee you will achieve a specific temperature, and that the temperature RANGE could vary from the proposed setting by as much as 50 degreesF. That meant in my opinion that I had a 'lemon'. I took it back and bought an RT-590. They take a bit longer to heat up than a Traeger, but those stainless steel grates are so easy to wash. Very happy with my choice.

The only thing I like about Traeger is the heavy aluminum tray liners that I co-opt for my 590 instead of using aluminum foil. Not a perfect fit but close. Wish someone made some that fit better.

I own both a bullseye and a 1250 but had a grilla grill before the auger went out and I switched to req tec also depending on where you live drive to req tec showroom and you would be disappointed very impressed with service and quality also every year they have a festival on their grounds and watch the YouTube videos on cooking different things

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'd like to put my order in ASAP in the hopes I'll have it for a party in a couple of weeks. Now the question is... 700 or 1250? Is it accurate that the 700 has been updated to have the same augur as the 1250? It still lacks the extra interior shelf and front folding shelf, though. Are there any other differences?
Twin 590's are in order !

I have had the 1250 for about 2 and some change years and love it. But honestly I would go between the new flagship and the 1250. 1250 can fit 3 spatchcocked chickens on top. The new flagship is a little smaller but I believe it has higher clearance for the top shelf. Plus the new legs look nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back