RT-1250 advice with new purchase - RT-1250 vs. Traeger 1300

rivahgal

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Camp Chef and could really use some advice. Was originally thinking of the Traeger 1300, as it is on sale at a highly discounted price of $1700. Still $$, but a far cry from the $2300 it was. However, my son-in-law suggested that I look at Recteq, and the RT-1250 caught my eye. I've looked at reviews, but most are addressing the 1300 as a $2300, overpriced grill compared to the RT-1250. However, as they're now essentially the same price, what are your thoughts? I fully appreciate that - as a Recteq forum - there will likely be bias, but I would still appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance :)

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Camp Chef and could really use some advice. Was originally thinking of the Traeger 1300, as it is on sale at a highly discounted price of $1700. Still $$, but a far cry from the $2300 it was. However, my son-in-law suggested that I look at Recteq, and the RT-1250 caught my eye. I've looked at reviews, but most are addressing the 1300 as a $2300, overpriced grill compared to the RT-1250. However, as they're now essentially the same price, what are your thoughts? I fully appreciate that - as a Recteq forum - there will likely be bias, but I would still appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance :)
My suggestion would be to spend some time on both forums and see what owners of the products have to say. There is a certain amount of bashing that goes on here, and in some cases, justifiably so.

However, at the end of the day, every consumer has to weigh as many of the pros and cons as possible to make the right choice.

IIRC, the 1250 has the same dreadful wheels/casters that my 700 Bull “has” (had, the stock ones are in a landfill somewhere. RT should be embarrassed for putting such absolute garbage on an upper end grill).

But, you’ll need to add up everything and see who comes out on top. I’ve never had a Traeger, but I’ve seen from people that have, the opinion that they aren’t what they used to be.

Assuming that you are pretty much locked into the $1700 price range, I’d say go with the 1250. If you are looking for a high-quality, solid-performing pellet grill with strong manufacturer support, I’d say “neither;” keep looking. :rolleyes:

Jim, I assume you're saying that it's worth bumping up to a Yoder if I can afford to do that and see value in it? Probably not willing to do that... even though I know they're excellent.

Greg, Ace has them on sale at the moment. I don't see them at that price elsewhere.

So, perhaps a better question would be "what would you purchase for under $2K?"... not limited to the two models I mentioned.

Your son-in-law is correct in my opinion.

I’ve never owned a Traeger. Lots of folks here came from an experience with Traeger that wasn’t positive. I don’t know the model numbers or names of the Traeger line, but the one that Matt Pitman from Meat Church uses with a built-in induction burner appears to be a very solid performer. You mentioned Yoder-I try to not make a big deal about them as this is a forum about recteq grills. As the owner of a Yoder YS640S and various recteq pellet grills, I can say that I haven’t fired up a recteq in about 6 months now. Hope this helps.

My son owns both A recteq RT700 and a Pro Series 575 Traeger. He says they both produce about the same end product but thinks the Traeger will end up in the garbage years before the recteq will. No comparison in quality of parts and warranty. As @Greg Jones mentioned some of the nicer models are better but $$$. My opinion is to go with your son-in-law’s recommendation. That way you have a scapegoat if you don’t like the grill.

Jim, I assume you're saying that it's worth bumping up to a Yoder if I can afford to do that and see value in it? Probably not willing to do that... even though I know they're excellent.

Greg, Ace has them on sale at the moment. I don't see them at that price elsewhere.

So, perhaps a better question would be "what would you purchase for under $2K?"... not limited to the two models I mentioned.
Not specifically a Yoder (though it is a nice grill), but I am saying that if I were in your position I would be looking beyond the two choices you proposed. Obviously, we all have our own budget constraints and need to find something that falls within them. Good luck on whatever you decide.

If you want American made, the choices are few, EXPENSIVE and far between. However I'd say go with the RT 590 over the other models, most sorted out of the RT line and has yet to not be enough cooking room for anything that I have cooked. Sometimes less is more IMHO, most here likely don't utilize half the cooking capacity of their grills regularly anyways.

My son owns both A recteq RT700 and a Pro Series 575 Traeger. He says they both produce about the same end product but thinks the Traeger will end up in the garbage years before the recteq will. No comparison in quality of parts and warranty. As @Greg Jones mentioned some of the nicer models are better but $$$. My opinion is to go with your son-in-law’s recommendation. That way you have a scapegoat if you don’t like the grill.
Thank you!

If you want American made, the choices are few, EXPENSIVE and far between. However I'd say go with the RT 590 over the other models, most sorted out of the RT line and has yet to not be enough cooking room for anything that I have cooked. Sometimes less is more IMHO, most here likely don't utilize half the cooking capacity of their grills regularly anyways.
I really appreciate your recommendation! The only reason I'm considering the RT-1250 is because we do entertain quite a lot.

I really appreciate your recommendation! The only reason I'm considering the RT-1250 is because we do entertain quite a lot.

I've done my share on the 590, never run into a limitation yet. Good luck man, so far my RT has been uber reliable and done all that I asked and expected. :)

I currently own the RT-700 and have owned a Yoder and a Traeger. The Yoder was a great smoker and was built like a tank, I live in a dry climate and the thing was rusting within 6 months, needless to say I got rid if that. The Traeger was owned before the Yoder and it was a much lesser smoker in all aspects, do not buy. For almost 3 years now, the RecTeq has been bulletproof. It is built like a tank (except for the wheels but I don't care about that as the smoker has not moved since it found it's home), I have not had 1 issue with it since I bought it. Are there better grills out there? Yes, but not at this price point. I did my research for a long time before I made the purchase, I wish the Yoder would not have had it's issues but in the long run, the RecTeq has performed flawlessly.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'd like to put my order in ASAP in the hopes I'll have it for a party in a couple of weeks. Now the question is... 700 or 1250? Is it accurate that the 700 has been updated to have the same augur as the 1250? It still lacks the extra interior shelf and front folding shelf, though. Are there any other differences?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back