Bull About to Purchase the Bull. Accessory recommendations?

Patriot1968

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi Folks. I have the Bull in my cart at Rec Tec and wondering what accessories are "must haves"? I am getting grill grates for steaks and probably front folding shelf. Confused on pellets from all the reading I've done. Looking at griddles and such. Going to do mostly meat and chicken. Thank you in advance.

I’ve had the best luck with lumberjack pellets. The sear grates are good. Maybe the grill mats if you do veggies or small items like shrimp. The nitrile gloves are great.

I’ve had the best luck with lumberjack pellets. The sear grates are good. Maybe the grill mats if you do veggies or small items like shrimp. The nitrile gloves are great.

Thank you. I forgot about the gloves!

Hi Folks. I have the Bull in my cart at Rec Tec and wondering what accessories are "must haves"? I am getting grill grates for steaks and probably front folding shelf. Confused on pellets from all the reading I've done. Looking at griddles and such. Going to do mostly meat and chicken. Thank you in advance.
The Rec Tec pellets aren't bad there are just other options out there that are less $$, When buying the grill the pellets ship for free and I would recommend them. As far as other Bull must haves, front shelf, large interior shelf, Sauce and rub bundle, I went with the smoke box, didn't go for the competition cart as I don't really move the grill much and are in the process of making something much better. Rec Tec accessories are 20% off with the purchase of a grill.

Last edited:
I just got my Bull and added the cover. I wanted the sear kit and small interior shelf but both were out of stock. Does anyone know when they will be in stock again?

I use the front shelf every cook. Cover is also good... look up the modification on here about adding a zipper. Was a very nice idea to make it much easier to put on/off.

I might be the one guy who really likes the smoker box. I have seen a lot of guys say it doesn't serve its purpose. For me, i use it as a warmer more than anything. I have no idea how those short order cooks do it at those diners. Ha. I have a family of six and i never end up with a situation where all is done at the same time. So, throw things in there to keep warm and add a little smoke (veggies, potatoes, mac & cheese and some videos will show the resting of butts/shoulders happening in there). I have also used it for what has become a family favorite. Apple slices with caramel. Slow cook... get the caramel to melt just a tad but not warm enough to make the apples brown.

I agree with the first order do the full bundle with pellets and sauces, etc. A lot of fun to experiment.

I don't find myself using the interior shelf that much. Preference i suppose.

Gloves are a must. After watching 100 videos of the "pros" they all used the cotton gloves with nitrile as a cover and that is the right way. They are pros for a reason. ha. Trying to pull ribs off that after the foil part of a 3-2-1 or at the end they will fall to pieces. Two hands with gloves is a must. I used to use my hot mits, but they ended up greasy and nasty. I also use the nitrile for trimming before cooks, seasoning, etc. You name it!

I personally bought an extra light cover. They clean up better if you let them soak a bit. So, i do my clean, i pull it and have it soak and use my other. So, i can get my bull ready for operation while taking my time with light cover. Trivial but my thing.

You are going to love it. Your only regret will be you didn't get it in time for this weekend!

My Bull arrives on Friday. I'm wanting to purchase a cover but I read about what a tight fit the Rec Tec cover is and the likely hood of ripping it if you use the front shelf. I know people are adding a zipper to make it easier but I rather just buy a cover that is easier to take on and off. I read somewhere where someone bought a cover from Amazon that worked well but I can't seem to relocate the thread.

If you use an third party cover could you share your views of it and a link to where to buy?

Thanks all. I did buy the Grill Grates from Grillgrates as Rec Tec is out and that's where they get them from. I'm stuck on what shelving is best for Jerky? I've seen several videos and it varies so much it makes my head spin. Same with spices. I don't know where to even start.

@spartanhuntr: I really, really want that front shelf, but it's back ordered. I'm wondering if I should install after grill is here, or wait and do all at once? I'm not mechanically inclined :D

I've seen discussion of a smoke box. Not sure what that is. Can you post a pic or link? Thanks again!

@spartanhuntr: I really, really want that front shelf, but it's back ordered. I'm wondering if I should install after grill is here, or wait and do all at once? I'm not mechanically inclined :D

I've seen discussion of a smoke box. Not sure what that is. Can you post a pic or link? Thanks again!
I have the front shelf and the smokebox, I use them both. These Bull accessories items aren't difficult to install, Rec Tec has video's on YouTube on how to install them. Smokebox is the box mounted to tre righ side of the smoker.
20190721_124821.jpg

Thanks Mastertech for the pic. I've tried to find that smoke box without luck. Sad day, as I was supposed to be doing my first grill today but my Rec Tec didn't arrive as advertised. UPS states it was "hung up" in PA for some reason and now I won't get until possibly Tuesday . Very disappointed.

Thanks Mastertech for the pic. I've tried to find that smoke box without luck. Sad day, as I was supposed to be doing my first grill today but my Rec Tec didn't arrive as advertised. UPS states it was "hung up" in PA for some reason and now I won't get until possibly Tuesday . Very disappointed.
Shipping has been at best terrible lately due to the COVID-19, your going to love this grill so a few more sleepiness night will be worth it in the end. As far as the smokebox Rec Tec will honor the 20% discount but I would give them a call or email and put your name on one.

I'm stuck on what shelving is best for Jerky? I've seen several videos and it varies so much it makes my head spin. Same with spices. I don't know where to even start.

A jerky rack is on my list, too. I don't recall if it was inspired by this thread or elsewhere: https://www.rectecforum.com/threads/beef-jerky-racks.1176/#post-10739

But something, here, led me on a journey that landed this in my Amazon cart: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085ISSR6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Thanks all. I did buy the Grill Grates from Grillgrates as Rec Tec is out and that's where they get them from. I'm stuck on what shelving is best for Jerky? I've seen several videos and it varies so much it makes my head spin. Same with spices. I don't know where to even start.
For rubs, Rec Tec has their own that they sell, and I can personally recommend the Meat Church Honey Hog for ribs. I’ll have to give you an update on their Holy Cow & Holy Gospel rubs once this brisket is done. ;)

As for sauces, Rib Rack has a great sauce that is really good, and I just got some of the Meat Mitch Whomp! sauce that I’m going to be using on the burnt ends that’s excellent if you like that sweet heat flavor profile. I bought the 3 pack pack that comes with the Whomp!, Char Bar Table Sauce, and the Naked BBQ Sauce. Haven’t used the latter two yet, but Again, the Whomp! sauce is great, so I’m pretty sure the others will be great as well. Especially considering that they won awards for all three of them this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back