1st Rack

Blues1

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
1st attempt at ribs. Did them naked. Bite tender is what I aimed for and hit the mark. I will, however adjust my seasonings a bit. All in all, pretty happy!

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 107
I used Killer Hogs then added Jeffs. Wasn't really the flavor, rather me putting way too much on. Again, good but not quite there. That's OK...half the fun is learning what NOT to do :)

They sure look good.

I'm sure your choice of rubs is great. Adjust, quench thirst, BBQ some more, quench thirst, eat BBQ, quench thirst, repeat.

They sure look good.

I'm sure your choice of rubs is great. Adjust, quench thirst, BBQ some more, quench thirst, eat BBQ, quench thirst, repeat.

Exactly! I won't make the same mistake twice. One of my favorite sayings...Don't practice 'til you get it right, practice 'til you can't get it wrong.

1st attempt at ribs. Did them naked. Bite tender is what I aimed for and hit the mark. I will, however adjust my seasonings a bit. All in all, pretty happy!
Ribs look good. How long did they cook?

Thank you. Took 9 hrs. Started at 225. Left closed for 3 hrs, then spritzed every 45-1 hr. Bumped to 250 for last 1-1/2 hrs.

Thank you. Took 9 hrs. Started at 225. Left closed for 3 hrs, then spritzed every 45-1 hr. Bumped to 250 for last 1-1/2 hrs.
9 hrs? That’s a long cook. Did that include the shopping for the ribs ?

I know, right? Every cook has taken much longer than I thought. Never thought ribs would take that long. Started to pull them sooner, but glad I didn't. I did check temp gauge with another thermometer to be sure I wasn't cooking at a much lower temp. May check it again.

I know, right? Every cook has taken much longer than I thought. Never thought ribs would take that long. Started to pull them sooner, but glad I didn't. I did check temp gauge with another thermometer to be sure I wasn't cooking at a much lower temp. May check it again.
I would definitely check. 9 hrs for ribs is way high. At 225 should be 4-5 hrs. Maybe a touch longer but 9 is big. I’d recheck.

Ordered temp probes today.

Ordered temp probes today.
Same here. My first cook today...results were over the top. However my cook times were waaay longer than I anticipated. Checked / verified the temp with a probe I used for my stick burner and it was within 1-2 degrees of the rec-tec. I’m mystified...don’t quite know what to think. Ribs took over 7 1/2hours @ 225.

I'm with you. We'll get it figured out...

Not cold at all...70-75 degrees. I'm assuming probes are off. Most all of my cooks have been waaay longer than expected. Took15 1/2 hrs for a 3.5 lb brisket. Turned out great, but had to eat fish for dinner :)

Not cold at all...70-75 degrees. I'm assuming probes are off. Most all of my cooks have been waaay longer than expected. Took15 1/2 hrs for a 3.5 lb brisket. Turned out great, but had to eat fish for dinner :)
We have all been there for the alternative dinner. Not fully cooked, burned, too whatever. Once your probes are working thing will be better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back