Stampede Where to place 8 pound Boston Butt for a low and slow

Marshall

Military Veteran
I know the firepot is in the center of the 590, but is that the best lace to put a Boston Butt? I have modified my plans slightly. The butt will go on at 180 at 7:00 PM this evening then go to 225 about 4 hours later and stay there for the rest of the night. If needed (probably not needed) I will bump to 300 on Saturday morning to get my finish time where I need it to be.

My major question is where in the smoking chamber should I place the butt? Directly over the firepot? Off to either side of the chamber?

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I'm sure my confidence will be higher once I get my first long cook behind me.

180 is too low for most the cook time, I personally never do a cook less than 230F unless I want a bit more smoke flavor for a few hours. I typically do 1 butt right in the middle of grill, or on the right side.......don't over think this my friend. To really make this easy, put it on soon and smoke until done, give it a good rest and pull it, then warm back up "slowly" covered in oven at 170 degrees so the meat and temp will be perfect for when you wanna serve it. That's how I roll, been doing it this way for years and years and have cooked for many parties and gatherings.

☝️☝️ great advice ☝️☝️

I put mine centered front to back but to the right of the fire pot. But then, all my grills but for the 340 have the smokestack to the right. I certainly wouldn’t overthink this on the 340/590/1070 due to the exhaust arrangement on those grills.
Good point. The lack of a smokestack had me confused about how this thing will perform. I guess experience is the best teacher

They say the right side is hotter, so about half way through the cook I’ll turn what ever I’m cooking 180° so both sides can cook about the same.

They say the right side is hotter, so about half way through the cook I’ll turn what ever I’m cooking 180° so both sides can cook about the same.
That’s good to know. I’ll give it a try.

My old 590 and my current 1250 right side is most accurate temps.

There’s a knob on your grill that will adjust your cooking temperature. If it’s too hot, turn the knob to the left, if it’s too cool, turn the knob to the right. I’d be more concerned what gives me the most consistent temps and flavor that I’m looking for. And cook to probe tender on the longer cooks. If you are looking to make toast on your smoker, I can’t help you with that.

180 is too low for most the cook time, I personally never do a cook less than 230F unless I want a bit more smoke flavor for a few hours. I typically do 1 butt right in the middle of grill, or on the right side.......don't over think this my friend. To really make this easy, put it on soon and smoke until done, give it a good rest and pull it, then warm back up "slowly" covered in oven at 170 degrees so the meat and temp will be perfect for when you wanna serve it. That's how I roll, been doing it this way for years and years and have cooked for many parties and gatherings.
I'm three and a half hours into this cook. And I've placed things off to the side. Tomorrow I'm cooking a 9 pound brisket. I've only done one small 3 pounder that wasn't very good. I've read up a bit and hope for better luck with this one.

1694817169295964003714619675104.jpg

Last edited:
There’s a knob on your grill that will adjust your cooking temperature. If it’s too hot, turn the knob to the left, if it’s too cool, turn the knob to the right. I’d be more concerned what gives me the most consistent temps and flavor that I’m looking for. And cook to probe tender on the longer cooks. If you are looking to make toast on your smoker, I can’t help you with that.
That's the problem; it's new and this is the first long cook with the only other cook being a steak. I don't know what to expect. I know the basics as I had an older pitboss vertical smoker and a couple of Big Green Eggs. I don't know the difference that 4 hours at 180 vs 4 hours at 200 or 225 makes in the "smoke flavor".

I ended up just choosing some temps and going with it. I have to set a baseline and I will adjust for the next cook.

After this cook is done and I know how it turned out I will post a summary.

That's the problem; it's new and this is the first long cook with the only other cook being a steak. I don't know what to expect. I know the basics as I had an older pitboss vertical smoker and a couple of Big Green Eggs. I don't know the difference that 4 hours at 180 vs 4 hours at 200 or 225 makes in the "smoke flavor".

I ended up just choosing some temps and going with it. I have to set a baseline and I will adjust for the next cook.

After this cook is done and I know how it turned out I will post a summary.
I’d start with the same process you used for the BGE and tweak it from there. What I would not be concerned with at this point is smoke. Find a process that results in good food that you and the people you share it with enjoy. Then look at ways to add more smoke flavor to your cooks (smoke tube, etc.). Regardless of what you try, you will never get the same smoke flavor from a pellet grill that is possible on a BGE. I came to recteq after 15 years on a BGE, and the smoke flavor will never be the same. And I’m OK with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back