What Happened?

MGS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
HI All
new here and looking for some sort of answer as to what just happened. So I bought a RT-340 in April and I've used it quite a few times. Ribs/pulled pork/chicken..... things that didn't take too long. Well family BBQ today and I figured I'd switch it up and do a nice slow and low brisket. I cleaned my Recteq and filled up the hopper with their premium blend. Set the cook at 200. Every was running as normal. Put the brisket on at 11:30 last night. Kept an eye on it and things are running along fine and I head to bed at midnight. I wake up at 6:30 to find my cook temp at 81degrees. The fan is running( i can hear it) but no fire/smoke. The hopper is completely full. The data read out on the app said it dropped to 140 degrees at around 2am then i got a 300 degree temp spike Then it falls down to 81 degrees. I just threw away my 12plbs brisket. I will be calling rector tomorrow at 8:00am. Any thoughts as to what might have happened?

I have found the Recteq Ultimate pellets to be very inconsistent in length; some measuring up to 2” in length. They can easily bridge and block pellet supply flow from the hopper. I have a half-dozen bags of them (that I got as a bundle when buying my grills) and I now only use them in my smoke tube. That should be about a two-lifetime supply.

Personally, I’m using Kingsford 100% Hickory, Bear Mountain Hickory or LumberJack Hickory pellets now. They are all more uniform in length, averaging about an inch, and I’ve had no bridging issues with them. YMMV

I have found the Recteq Ultimate pellets to be very inconsistent in length; some measuring up to 2” in length. They can easily bridge and block pellet supply flow from the hopper. I have a half-dozen bags of them (that I got as a bundle when buying my grills) and I now only use them in my smoke tube. That should be about a two-lifetime supply.

Personally, I’m using Kingsford 100% Hickory, Bear Mountain Hickory or LumberJack Hickory pellets now. They are all more uniform in length, averaging about an inch, and I’ve had no bridging issues with them. YMMV
I expect that it is also dependent as to who is supplying what at any point in time. I’ve found the recteq pellets to be stellar, but I haven’t bought any recteq pellets since December 2020. On the other hand, I had the new Costco pellets bridge in both my Bullseye and 340, yet work fine in the 700. I also had the LJ charcoal pellets bridge badly in the Bullseye, but others seem to love them. I have begun to believe that the pellet vendors decide where to source pellets on a daily/weekly basis, thus the inconsistency.

You'd think the there'd be a wayfor the makers to to sort the pellets out by length, ie: break the long ones. I have an idea for it but it would probably fall on deaf ears.

I use the Recteq ultimate blend exclusively, and have never had an issue in the last 3 years. That being said I do pay attention to my cooks and have alarms set if temps fall. Meat is too expensive to waste!

Welcome to the Forum
Sorry to hear your first attempt at a Brisket had an issue
You didn't waste the Meat, just cook it another way until you get the RT issue sorted out
Yeah, check-out the Fire Pot for excess Ash or "Clinkers"
And empty the Hopper to check for any blockage there
Also, check to see if the Auger is turning

This happened to me once. I emptied my hopper and there was a ton of dust. I vacuumed really well and now I sift my pellets really quick through a strainer to remove dust. No issue since.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back