Thermoworks...then this happened

Pacman

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I suspect I crimped or broke a probe wire. It was super interesting when the two chickens I cooked this weeked were reporting an internal temp of like 75 on one and 17 on the other. I didn't know Recteqs had dual climate control settings!

I swapped for another probe and life returned to normal, but pretty sure I killed a probe/wire. I always thought the Thermoworks wires looked a little "delicate". Now I know.

Hey @Pacman Thermoworks sells a ton of products. Which one did you have an issue with? Have you reached out to Thermoworks?

Yeah, it was one of the Pro probes. I'm going to do an ice water test and confirm I've got a bad probe. If so, then I'll contact them. My post was mostly to have fun with the fact that I had a chicken cooking at 17 degrees. I wish I had taken a screen shot.

I have been through 2 Ink bird probes and 1 Recteq probe in two years

Pretty much any wired probe can fail. One of the killers is if the wire gets kinked and you don’t notice it. If you happen to pull it straight without unkinking, it can damage the small wires inside the sheath.

That’s why I like to store my probes wound a storage device; either the one offered by @Hilbe on this forum (my preferred) or the one offered as an accessory by ThermoWorks. I have some of both and prefer the one @Hilbe sells via Etsy as it is a bit more compact and has a better connector storage method.

hopefully thermoworks can get you fixed up. i have terrible luck with probe wires. lost 4 last year alone. im using the recteq upgraded probes now, not made by recteq thats just how amazon advertises them. so far they have been good. i have definitely seen frozen well done food also.
44A498BB-B5C4-4D9D-A13A-963FA6DE39C0.jpeg

Yeah, thanks all. I'm sure I crimped/broke a wire. I actually already had Thermoworks replace another probe a while back...no questions asked. I also found out that if your air probe wire slips to near the fold up shelf on the 1250 , the shelf is a very effective wire cutter when folded back down. It sheared my air probe wire clean off. All I could do was laugh.

Again, I literally shared this because I found it hysterical that chicken in a 250 degree pit that had already brined and air cooled overnight was registering 17 degrees about an hour into the cook. I inadvertently set a low temperature alarm on the Signals for 32 degrees.

I have since bought the storage spools so most of my probes are working quite nicely. I even bought a "spare" probe with the pot clip and now use that when I'm frying chicken wings, French fries, etc. in the kitchen. It works as a very nice oil thermometer.

Yeah, thanks all. I'm sure I crimped/broke a wire. I actually already had Thermoworks replace another probe a while back...no questions asked. I also found out that if your air probe wire slips to near the fold up shelf on the 1250 , the shelf is a very effective wire cutter when folded back down. It sheared my air probe wire clean off. All I could do was laugh.

Again, I literally shared this because I found it hysterical that chicken in a 250 degree pit that had already brined and air cooled overnight was registering 17 degrees about an hour into the cook. I inadvertently set a low temperature alarm on the Signals for 32 degrees.

I have since bought the storage spools so most of my probes are working quite nicely. I even bought a "spare" probe with the pot clip and now use that when I'm frying chicken wings, French fries, etc. in the kitchen. It works as a very nice oil thermometer.
I think there may have been a bad batch of ThermoWorks high temperature probes somewhere down the line. I had 3 out of 4 of my Signals probes fail (all except the ambient temperature probe). The first one never worked and errored out immediately. The second read 217 degrees in ice water after 2 uses. The 3rd read 3 degrees in 90 degree weather after 5 uses.

I would accept responsibility, except that I babied those things beyond belief, stored them on ThermoWorks spools, and followed the instructions with an irritating amount of perfectionism (or so I was told).

The good news was that ThermoWorks replaced all three with no fuss, although they did have me send the 3rd probe back to them to see what went wrong. I never heard back from them about it.

I guess we’ll see what happens with the replacement probes, but I still really like the Signals.

hopefully thermoworks can get you fixed up. i have terrible luck with probe wires. lost 4 last year alone. im using the recteq upgraded probes now, not made by recteq thats just how amazon advertises them. so far they have been good. i have definitely seen frozen well done food also.View attachment 14255
I've been using two of these for over a year now and they are great. The wire is a bit longer than I would like, but they are a good replacement for the OEM's. I think a lot of the stock issues are from no strain relief on them. Sooner or later, that will cause signal issues.

I've been using two of these for over a year now and they are great. The wire is a bit longer than I would like, but they are a good replacement for the OEM's. I think a lot of the stock issues are from no strain relief on them. Sooner or later, that will cause signal issues.
they are good probes but i agree i wish they was shorter. probably could reach a side smoke box on a 700 or 1250 though

Yeah, it was one of the Pro probes. I'm going to do an ice water test and confirm I've got a bad probe. If so, then I'll contact them. My post was mostly to have fun with the fact that I had a chicken cooking at 17 degrees. I wish I had taken a screen shot.
The temps we've been having here lately, I would believe it. haha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back