What Happened Here?

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I’ve had my Recteq RT-1250 for three years now. I had something happen today that I’ve never experienced before. I fired up my grill via the Recteq app and set it at 250F. I noticed it was taking much longer than usual to reach temp, so I went outside to check on it. There was a massive amount of light colored smoke everywhere! I opened the grill lid to expel the smoke. Besides the excess smoke, I noticed I did not hear the rushing air sound the grill normally makes when the lid is open. The fan below the hopper was running, but there was no air circulating inside the drum. Then there was a loud pop, followed by a quick flame and the drum started circulating air again. It finally reached temp and I was able to proceed with my cook. Anyone experience this?

IMG_4497.jpeg

I’ve had my Recteq RT-1250 for three years now. I had something happen today that I’ve never experienced before. I fired up my grill via the Recteq app and set it at 250F. I noticed it was taking much longer than usual to reach temp, so I went outside to check on it. There was a massive amount of light colored smoke everywhere! I opened the grill lid to expel the smoke. Besides the excess smoke, I noticed I did not hear the rushing air sound the grill normally makes when the lid is open. The fan below the hopper was running, but there was no air circulating inside the drum. Then there was a loud pop, followed by a quick flame and the drum started circulating air again. It finally reached temp and I was able to proceed with my cook. Anyone experience this?

View attachment 19269
This is the result of too many pellets in fire pot. 40 seconds after shutdown and added pellets during startup. Check igniter, make sure it extends out and not recessed. Start the grill with lid opened so it doesn't go boom boom

This is the result of too many pellets in fire pot. 40 seconds after shutdown and added pellets during startup. Check igniter, make sure it extends out and not recessed. Start the grill with lid opened so it doesn't go boom boom
I’ll check the igniter, thanks. Traeger says to leave the lid open during startup, but Recteq says leave it closed. I’ve often wondered about that. Do you leave your’s open? I vacuum out the fire pot every 3-4 cooks. Should I be doing it before every cook?

I’ll check the igniter, thanks. Traeger says to leave the lid open during startup, but Recteq says leave it closed. I’ve often wondered about that. Do you leave your’s open? I vacuum out the fire pot every 3-4 cooks. Should I be doing it before every cook?
Yes, I leave it opened during start.

I'm working on a retrofit to eliminate the pellet feed during the shutdown cycle.

How does everyone not get that beautifully creepy smoke (I know it's bad smoke) - more often if it's just due to the shutdown/startup process built into the pid? I've only had the pop once.

Just to be a contrarian, I’ve never started it open and vac the fire box about every other cook depending on what the last cooks were. As far as I know I’ve not had smoke like yours or had the pop, although I do not watch it. My smoker is not near any structure so I don’t worry about it.
If I had smoke like you did I’d do the open lid start, looks like it was about ready to do the pop when you caught it.

Im pretty sure the heavy smoke culprit is a full fire pot when the grill is started. I am one of those that vacuums every, or every other time. I have only had the thick smoke once, and it was because I got lazy and didn't vac after an all night cook.

View attachment 19269
Happened to me with my Stampede. You may have a faulty fan, Recteq sent me a new fan and, lo and behold, when I opened up the cabinet I found my original fan was never plugged in at the factory! The electrical connectors were just not connected. Now it works fine. Hope this helps!

Happened to me with my Stampede. You may have a faulty fan, Recteq sent me a new fan and, lo and behold, when I opened up the cabinet I found my original fan was never plugged in at the factory! The electrical connectors were just not connected. Now it works fine. Hope this helps!
Great response. That would explain the “hovering” of smoke that seems to be in the picture.

The hovering of smoke will also occur when the air from the blower cannot circulate through and around the fire pot due to it being full of pellets, and or so much ash buildup. There is no doubt when the blower is running, and I NEVER start up my grill unless I am in front of it to ensure all is safe and well "just common sense". There will be barely any smoke on a clean and successful ignition, any white/greenish thick smoke is gonna cause a potential KABOOM or a flame out. ;)

Now that's some impressive "Quality Control" right there, huh ? :eek::rolleyes:

It's the fan, just happened to me, the fan "stuck" randomly, which then overloads the chamber with pellets which smoke, not burn due to no fan air. Then, when the fan starts, yikes, big fire. They replaced it free and super quick shipping, RecTec rocks. Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back