What’s everyone smoking for Christmas

Smoking a ham with some green pecan pieces on the heat deflecter and some in the smoke tube!
I use COOKS brand ham it’s injected with something like 23% brine water so you can smoke it at about 250° for 3 1/2 to 4 hr. Until you get internal temp. Of about 150°. Then glaze! It’s Pre-cooked, so you can use your own judgment.

We're smoking our first prime packer brisket. Wish us luck!
Welcome to the Forum CAT
LO and Slow .... this works for us:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic Onion Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4 hrs+/-
Brisket.jpg

Works like a charm 🤗

For Christmas, we'll smoke a couple Rib Eye:
MEATSMOKER TEMPMEAT TEMPMISC INFO
Beef (Ribeye) Steak400R=120-125MR=130135M=140-145 MW=150-155 W=160-165On Sear Kit
(Labor Day's Rib Eyes)
Labor Day Rib Eye.jpeg

But on the 31, I'm smoking Prime Rib (16 - 20lbs)
We'll cut it into 4lb Roasts:
Prime Rib2754.5 - 5 hours135 - 140 (MR - M)1 tbs of Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt and Thyme in a cup of Butter per 8 lbsLet rest 0.5 -1 hour

Last year's 16 pound of Prime Rib(s)
Catherine's Birthday Prime Rib on the Bull.jpg

Catherine's Birthday Prime Ribs.jpg

Catherine's Birthday Prime Rib.jpg

Happy Holidays Everyone

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum CAT
LO and Slow .... this works for us:
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic Onion Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 4 hrs+/-
View attachment 13918
Works like a charm 🤗

For Christmas, we'll smoke a couple Rib Eye:
MEATSMOKER TEMPMEAT TEMPMISC INFO
Beef (Ribeye) Steak400R=120-125MR=130135M=140-145 MW=150-155 W=160-165On Sear Kit
(Labor Day's Rib Eyes)
View attachment 13922

But on the 31, I'm smoking Prime Rib (16 - 20lbs)
We'll cut it into 4lb Roasts:
Prime Rib2754.5 - 5 hours135 - 140 (MR - M)1 tbs of Garlic, Pepper, Rosemary, Salt and Thyme in a cup of Butter per 8 lbsLet rest 0.5 -1 hour

Last year's 16 pound of Prime Rib(s)
View attachment 13919
View attachment 13920
View attachment 13921

Happy Holidays Everyone
They look great, question about your seasoned butter, you list one tbs garlic, is that powder or the real thing? As far as the rest go the same quantity or just your own taste? Thanks, I have been waiting to do prime rib but never had a good recipe for the rub and I like the way yours is put together.

This weekend's menu will include prime rib, tri tip, armadillo eggs, wings, twice baked taters, and green been casserole smoked on my son in law's 590, searing will done on a good ole Weber.

The family has voted. They prefer prime rib slow roasted (200 degrees) in the oven rather than smoked. However, there is no better tool for searing the beast than our RT590 cranked up to 500+ degrees. The Recteq puts a lovely crust on the roast before we finish it in a low oven. Then we do Mac & cheese in the Recteq, so I still get to play with the toy.

My kids demanded lamb, so I'm smoking a boneless leg of lamb with a curry rub that I'll figure out tonight. I haven't decided if I'll glaze it with some South African chutney that will definitely be served along side, or if it'll stay bare for the entire cook.
GBC, and sausage dressing will also be cooked on Reqs, not quite as an afterthought, and brussels sprouts on the EVO.

We may have a change in plans here. Was going to do prime rib on the RT-340 Christmas Day, but it is snowing here right now and forecast to have about 8 inches on the ground by tomorrow, coupled with 25-30 mph winds. The wind chill is supposed to be in the single digits. While I’m not a “fair weather griller/smoker,” I’m not sure the weather conditions will let us do our thing tomorrow.

Backup plan is to do the prime rib in the oven; 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then finish at 325 degrees. It is not smoked, but is quite tasty that way.

I have used my 340 in zero degree weather. The machine can handle it if conditions allow for the cook to perform his duties

I have used my 340 in zero degree weather. The machine can handle it if conditions allow for the cook to perform his duties
Yes, “the cook” is definitely the problem! He doesn’t much care for working outside in single-digit wind-chill weather, not to mention standing calf-deep in snow while doing so. Guess I’m getting soft in my old age. 😉

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back