Stampede Unusual Problem - 340 not turning off

TomatoBob

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My last two cooks had the same unusual problem. I had just cooked a frozen pizza. (The pizzas turned out great when cooked on the Grill Grates at 400 degrees, crispier and more evenly cooked than in the oven). When the job was done, I pressed the power button and the cooling countdown began. Assuming that the thing would eventually shut off, I served dinner.

I was wrong... twice. In both cases, when I walked by the smoker the next morning, the fan was still running and the pellet bin was empty. The first time it happened, I assumed pilot error, meaning that I somehow failed to turn the thing off. The second time, I confirmed that it was in the cool-down cycle, although I did not wait for the cycle to finish and the fan to shut down. Next time, I will wait until the cooling cycle finishes and the fan turns off. I will probably unplug the unit as well just to be careful.

It appears to me that for some reason, the smoker restarted after it had cooled down. I am thankful that my unattended hot pellet smoker did not cause a fire overnight.

I have not yet approached RecTeq support with this problem. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

First I have heard of anything like this. I'd be on the phone ASAP with RT.

First I have heard of anything like this. I'd be on the phone ASAP with RT.

Yes.. very odd. Have not seen that one. Likely the controller.. can't think of what else could cause that. They should hook you up after a call.

I have heard of the shut-down failure on both the RT-590 and the RT-1250, but not on the RT-340 until now. I think the consensus for the cause has been a faulty control board. Neither of my 340s have had this happen.

It is definitely time for a call to Recteq to get the issue resolved. And, as has been mentioned by others, after shutting down my grill, I unplug it. I’ve always been leery of a fire source that can be activated by a wireless remote. :rolleyes:

I always unplug after it shuts down about a hour later.
Agreed, I never leave it plugged in if I'm not using it, or anything that generates heat for that matter...I use switches that plug into the outlet on many devices in my house, better safe than sorry. 🔥

outlet_.jpg

You guys are making my life difficult. I don't ever recall unplugging my 590. So now I have to do it. I have disabilities and it's difficult to plug in my 590. Not Quite so difficult to unplug it. So I will ask my wife to do it for me. You do not want to reckon with her. She is 100 lb of mean when she wants to be.

A couple of years back, I said I had never heard of problems with the RT-340 not turning off. Well, my education continues. Since then, I have had several instances where my RT-340 would not shut off via the app. In each case, it appeared to turn off, only to be found on a few minutes later. I attribute this to wifi connection issues.

As a result, all of my grills remain unplugged except when in actual use, i don’t trust the control board to function as claimed.

Mine too , unplugged .
The app , mine works some what , I found that if I swipe it off the screen , then bring it back up , I get a current reading :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back