Excessive smoke problem

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Mods can delete this if inappropriate. But I met my neighbor today. Offered to bring him some ribs and he said his son gave him a smoker. He has tried to use it three times and each time he thought he would have to call the fire department because it put out so much smoke. He did not mention Flames but I'm assuming that was actually the problem. So his son said it needs to be vacuumed but he does not think that is the problem. Any suggestions as to what I might be looking for when I go over there? And I may get kicked off for this, but it's a traeger. That's all I know about it at this time, just the brand.

Mods can delete this if inappropriate. But I met my neighbor today. Offered to bring him some ribs and he said his son gave him a smoker. He has tried to use it three times and each time he thought he would have to call the fire department because it put out so much smoke. He did not mention Flames but I'm assuming that was actually the problem. So his son said it needs to be vacuumed but he does not think that is the problem. Any suggestions as to what I might be looking for when I go over there? And I may get kicked off for this, but it's a traeger. That's all I know about it at this time, just the brand.
Make sure he is keeping his lid open until it starts smoking (Traeger calls for the lid to be open during startup). At that point see how much smoke is being generated, if a lot wait a few minutes with the lid open and see if it starts operating normally. Also, with the lid being kept open during startup he will see flames if that is happening, but once the fire starts raging the smoke will almost completely disappear. If the startup looks good, then close the lid and see what happens.

Make sure he is keeping his lid open until it starts smoking (Traeger calls for the lid to be open during startup). At that point see how much smoke is being generated, if a lot wait a few minutes with the lid open and see if it starts operating normally. Also, with the lid being kept open during startup he will see flames if that is happening, but once the fire starts raging the smoke will almost completely disappear. If the startup looks good, then close the lid and see what happens.

BTW, vacuuming out the fire pot if there is any ash in it is a great first step before he fires it up again, even if he does not think that is necessary!

BTW, vacuuming out the fire pot if there is any ash in it is a great first step before he fires it up again, even if he does not think that is necessary!
That's the first thing I'm going to check when I go over there this weekend. I can't imagine why he would have excessive smoke and or grease fire if the unit is clean

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back