RT-1250 Two Turkeys

Dahbull

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hello everyone,

I'm new to smoking and purchased the 1250 for my ventures. Hosting thanksgiving this year and looking to cook two 22 lb turkeys on the 1250.

First question, is that to much meat in the 1250 to make it succcesful?

I've researched a couple hours on smoking a turkey with lots of varying suggestions. Looking for the best suggestions that seem to produce consistent results? Spatchcooking vs. filling cavity with onion and celery, brining or injecting, etc???

The time to cook, I was thinking at starting the cook at 225 and after 2-3 hours move up to 350. My hope is to smoke the birds a bit then make it more like an oven to get it done. I've read that you need to cook about 12-15 minutes a pound at 350. Does this change with two birds on the grill at the same time?

I'm excited and nervous for this cook as I don't want to dry out the turkeys for a large gathering and I want to impress the guests with the new smoker!!!

What flavor and brand of pellets are recommended for this type of cook?

Also with oven cooking, the drippings get collected to make the gravy. With smoking, is that still possible?

Thanks for any responses in advance!!

Dave

I did a 23# spatchcocked on my 700 last year. There would be just enough space to do two of them. I did 2 hours at 180 followed by 3 hours at 350. I don't think the second bird would push up your cook time too much. I brine my turkeys for 24 hours.

Last edited:
As long as you use your probes you shouldn’t overcook the bird. Just watch your temps and don’t rely on notifications ‘cause they probably won’t work on the holiday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back