Bull Tips for Getting the RT-700 Cover On/Off

sherman

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I like to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person. I run a business, do my own taxes, and I don't listen to drunks or politicians.

But I cannot figure out how to get the cover on or off efficiently. Sure I'll get it eventually, but it's a bit of a struggle.

Any tips on what works for you?

lol

Here is the recommended method from a couple R-T folks, using an older Bull for demonstration:

It's a custom fit cover (A step up). For that, you pay a small price (pun intended). The video linked above is the best way I have found to do it, and have tried many other ways, too.

... just crazy to me.

Given the physical properties of the smoker it seems logical to my feeble mind that it would be somewhat cumbersome to fit a cover over it. One could use a tarp if they didn't agree with the custom cover fitting process, I suppose.

Last edited:
They are pretty tight. I put it over the smoke stack first and then kind of lower it down and over the handles in the front (they like to grab), the back and then the other side. I have the competition cart and it flares out at the bottom so when you take it off, you have to lift the bottom of the cover over the flare so you get enough slack to lift it over the control unit shelf. A tarp would have been easier. We have a lot of rodents around here so the custom cover with some plugs for the stack and grease port seemed the most logical buy for me.

I do the same as Bif. Smoke stack first. For the price, they could have added an extra inch here and there to make it go on better! I'm pretty disappointed with the cover.
Yep, I put a small hole in mine from getting caught on a corner the first time I put it on.

I have the RT-700 with the Smoke Box. The cover is definitely snug. I have found that it is easiest to put on by starting on the back. If you start on the sides, the form-fitting nature of the smoke box and control shelve section of the covers are not forgiving enough to stretch the cover to get around the corners/edges. I sort of lift the cover over my head (imagine putting the cover over the grill like you might use a sheet to put a ghost costume on the grill). Toss the back end of the cover over the smoke stack first and then extend that to include the entire back length of the grill. This gives you enough slack in the rest of the cover to pull it over the tough corners without having to stretch and pull on the material. Starting from the back, and then from Smoke Box side towards the controller shelve tends to give you enough slack to pull the cover over the horns.

Last edited:
With a bad back... the cover is nothing short of silly stupid to get on and off! I bought a BFG cover for my 700 and sent the other one back.

Yeah, it does seem a bit involved, but also, there is a level of common sense Guys
Like Bif, Smoker and Donneub .... In putting it on .... I think I would start in the exact opposite order of the Video .... by just reversing the removal process, which looks rather simple !
Place it loosely over the Stack first, followed by the Hopper, followed by the Horns, THEN lastly Shelf
Then milk the rest down around the Legs
But #e[[ .... what do I know .... I don't even have my Grill yet ! ! !

It's the back corner of the hopper cover by the stack that is sharp and tight. Have to get around that without tearing it.

I have to go to confession every time I remove mine. I wish rec teq would add a zipper for the price but all in all it a small issue. Love the Bull. Start at the stack on and off for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back