Getting the timing right for a party... (Long smoke tricks and tips)

Took a peek... couldn't resist! :p
IMG_3609.jpg

Since the right side is hotter I swapped the butts halfway through. They had been 11 degrees off. That evened things out nicely. Just took them off the Stampede at 198 degrees IT, double wrapped in foil, tightly wrapped in towels, then filled the empty space in the cooler with more towels. planning on pulling at 5:30. Will put the shredded pork in a roaster to keep warm while serving. Thoughts on what temp to have the roaster set to?

Sounds like the stall will do what it does, and then you're off to a great day!!..goodluck, looking good !

Well for a LONG hold 6ish hours ... I use Food service clear wrap, then heavy foil, then Towel, then hold in a very good Ice chest . After 6 hours almost still to hot to handle....thou no hard bark, So when the meat is done, just pull off and use the correct amount and kind of wrap for needed time...also works well when I cook different meats and they do not all get done at the same time....

@Wooster ...soooooo???...are you the official neighborhood smoker now ? what were the reviews of "your peoples"? ...haha ? What's your review of your finished product?

Bringing this back up again. My experience is that pulled pork is the most versatile of the meats I bbq. That said, I have done it several ways out of either need or searching for a better or easier way.

The great thing about PP is that you can bbq it days before an event and heat it up. I use that to my advantage to reduce my workload immediately before an event I'm bbqing for so I can concentrate on the more demanding meats, usually the tri-tip for me. We try to keep vac-pak'd pulled pork in the freezer for many things, but mostly it gets made into the best tacos we've had.

I've also roasted the butts in foiled trays (sometimes without any seasoning so the dog can have some) in the oven, while at work. Then I come home and pull, pour a broth spiked with the rub over it and smoke the open tray. I also elevate the temperature and char some of the top for "bark". I've seen other people share their time saving techniques on various bbq meats. As they say; there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back