Bull Thinking about building my own interior second shelf

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am thinking about building my own interior second shelf. "Just thinking about it".

Maybe on each side wall about midway way up between the chimney outlet and level to the opposing side mount (2) approx 1.5" pieces of stainless angle (3/4" x 3/4" maybe 1x1") on each side to hold the shelf up. Yes this would require drilling into the side of the smoker body.

The shelf would be either stainless rod (like the grates) or stainless expanded metal or perforated metal. The shelf would be framed at least on the long sides with the same 3/4"x 3/4" angle. If made of rods it would be fully framed in angle steel. The angle stainless 304 would be about 35$ and the perforated 16g stainless 1" by 4 ft would be about 80$ or rods and expanded about 20$ cheaper. All metal and bolts would be 304 stainless.

I know there might be issues with air flow.

I can cut and make this myself. I am not trying to be cheap, i just don't like that the Rec Tec upper shelf has legs using up space on the lower shelf surface.

Again just thinking about this, What do you guys think?

I just posted if this was possible to do.. Did you end up doing it??

I am thinking about building my own interior second shelf. "Just thinking about it".

Maybe on each side wall about midway way up between the chimney outlet and level to the opposing side mount (2) approx 1.5" pieces of stainless angle (3/4" x 3/4" maybe 1x1") on each side to hold the shelf up. Yes this would require drilling into the side of the smoker body.

The shelf would be either stainless rod (like the grates) or stainless expanded metal or perforated metal. The shelf would be framed at least on the long sides with the same 3/4"x 3/4" angle. If made of rods it would be fully framed in angle steel. The angle stainless 304 would be about 35$ and the perforated 16g stainless 1" by 4 ft would be about 80$ or rods and expanded about 20$ cheaper. All metal and bolts would be 304 stainless.

I know there might be issues with air flow.

I can cut and make this myself. I am not trying to be cheap, i just don't like that the Rec Tec upper shelf has legs using up space on the lower shelf surface.

Again just thinking about this, What do you guys think?
I think you are right. There cold be air flow (deflection) issues. Maybe try something temporary to see how it effects the air flow. I know that foil over the edges changes
the flow. ??

I have not done this but might do soon.
In days pre-covid, you could just go to Home Depot Or local hardware store and browse til you find things that you think you could put together to make a shelf or whatever. Now, with the stores limiting access, on-line is what is left. Almost impossible to find just what you need online unless you already know exactly what you need. I ordered nitrile gloves online, 6 weeks ago, still waiting. I’m the kind of builder that strolls and finds things that might work. The times they are a changing. ??

In days pre-covid, you could just go to Home Depot Or local hardware store and browse til you find things that you think you could put together to make a shelf or whatever. Now, with the stores limiting access, on-line is what is left. Almost impossible to find just what you need online unless you already know exactly what you need. I ordered nitrile gloves online, 6 weeks ago, still waiting. I’m the kind of builder that strolls and finds things that might work. The times they are a changing. ??
[/QUOTE
My mind works very similar I come up with the plans as I locate the items I think that will work.
Home Depot is the last place I would get items needed to make a second shelf, if you have a welding or steel shop near by there going to have what you need and it will cost less too.

jpeg
of my crappy drawing, for idea only

Attachments

• rectec.jpg
    rectec.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 123
Using stainless angle pieces to support the shelf is a good idea, providing sturdy support. Stainless steel materials are durable and perfect for this kind of application.
The airflow concern is valid, especially with modifications. You might want to consider creating gaps or vents to ensure proper air circulation and heat distribution within the smoker.
If you're confident in your fabrication skills, this could be a great cost-effective alternative to pre-made options.
I have a couple (3) "second shelves" for my 590. They all are about the same height but vary in length and width. The 590 has smoke vents all along the barrel so the airflow will be different from a chimney smoker. That being said, I have smoked briskets and ribs on the second shelf in order to avoid the radiant heat from the flame pot, and drip pan. What I found was the heat at about mid barrel is closer to the measuring point for the 590 installed heat probe but with less radiant heat things take a bit longer.

I don't have the skills or tools to build one of these things but if I did I would use sheet stainless or stainless rod to make the legs, being mindful of the directions of the rods on the smoker's grill grate (I know this as I purchased a shelf with folding legs that fell between the grate rods). I would make it as long as I could in order to make room for other items under the shelf if needed and as wide as possible so large briskets didn't hang over the edge.

I guess making a resting "rail on both ends of the barrel that a grate would sit on would be a good option, but see the "I don't have the skills or tools..." problem for me.

I also considered the custom or kit build units but the cost of 1 large and 2 small RT shelves gave me the flexibility I needed without getting the grinder and welder out. For complicated cooks I use my Offset that can hold 20 Briskets and 10 Pork shoulders simultaneously or other available devices.

If anyone is interested in making a shelf like mine i believe the side slides are 3/4in angle iron 1/8in thick welded like LL with an 1.5in wide 1/8in flat on top to cover the gap. Also the angle closest to the grill body had stainless 1/4 20 nuts welded to it for the bolts to come through the sides.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back