Stampede Swapping pellets

Marshall

Military Veteran
How do you guys swap out pellets? Scoop and dump and keep repeating that? Vacuum or some other way?

Also after swapping pellets how long does it take before the pellets left in the auger are gone and the auger is delivering new pellets to the firebox? I figure if I switch pellets the old ones still in the auger channel will be gone by the time the pit gets up to the selected cooking temp but I want to confirm that.

My plan is to use Pitboss Competition Blend for most of my cooks but I want to switch pellets for Brisket and PorkButts.

You could run the auger in test mode for a minute or 2 to clear the old, personally I wouldn’t worry about it. I can’t see 5 or so minutes of he “wrong” smoke making any difference to the finished product.

I've never "swapped" pellets, if I ever wanted to use different pellets, I just run them low, then add the different ones on top of the previous ones. Unless you're using some unique pellets, like mesquite, it's going to be hard to tell any difference in food taste between the various pellets. out there. In the end, I have better things to do with my time than removing pellets to swap to different ones that end up giving the same taste 🤷‍♂️

I don‘t typically swap but if I do, a good old red cup does the trick. I wouldn’t worry abut the remaining pellets in the hopper as they will be consumed as you bring the smoker up to temp before you start your cook. Worst case scenario, they won’t be burning long enough into your cook to change the flavor profile significantly. Even when I am switching from Mesquite to a fruit wood pellet, I cant’ tell the difference if there are only a scoop or 2 of pellets left.

I've never "swapped" pellets, if I ever wanted to use different pellets, I just run them low, then add the different ones on top of the previous ones. Unless you're using some unique pellets, like mesquite, it's going to be hard to tell any difference in food taste between the various pellets. out there. In the end, I have better things to do with my time than removing pellets to swap to different ones that end up giving the same taste 🤷‍♂️
AMEN......

I bought a miniature shop vac for pellets. I vacuum out pellets easily for using a different type of pellet. Works great for me.

Just scoop out what's easily removed, pour in your new pellets and, if you're still concerned, stick your hand down there and mix them up a little bit. And as you do that, it would probably be a good idea to unplug your smoker first.
You have better things to worry about, like, Why did my last smoke come out better than this one? I've had to ask myself that a timer two. And speaking only for myself, I've decided the answer is that smoking is like baking, and art, not so much as science.

Just scoop out what's easily removed, pour in your new pellets and, if you're still concerned, stick your hand down there and mix them up a little bit. And as you do that, it would probably be a good idea to unplug your smoker first.
You have better things to worry about, like, Why did my last smoke come out better than this one? I've had to ask myself that a timer two. And speaking only for myself, I've decided the answer is that smoking is like baking, and art, not so much as science.
Like a easy bake oven for men 🤔

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back