Stuck Auger Removal

ghuns

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Though I'd drop this long PSA here since it will apply to most RecTeq products.

For anyone who has experienced pellets getting wet, then drying like concrete around their auger, you know what a major PITA it is to unstick that auger. I experienced this early on with my Bullseye. We were on vacation and my Bullseye got drenched in wind driven rainstorm. I didn't have a cover then, didn't know I needed one. The pellets in mine were still a little wet when I got home and discovered the problem. I was able to brute force it out of the tube by prying on the motor end while my dad tapped on the fire pot end with a hammer/long punch. It sucked.

My son's Bullseye is under a covered patio at his apartment. I encouraged him to get a cover, but he believed it was positioned so it couldn't get rained on. He was wrong. His ordeal was worse than mine because he didn't discover the problem until the wad of pellets had dried like concrete in the auger tube. It was also complicated by the fact that him and his roommate are not all that handy when it comes to fixing things. They tried to pry/hammer the auger out but it wouldn't budge.

While he was home for Christmas, we took my Bullseye apart and made sure he understood exactly how to remove the auger. He was sure he'd done everything right.

I have said before that it would be super handy if RecTeq put a hex on the end of those augers. Those dried pellets in the auger tube are effectively a nut. With a hex, you could put a socket on the end of the auger and simply unscrew it. Some have had luck just tightening a cordless drill chuck on the auger and doing this.

Starring at the end of my auger shaft, a lightbulb went off. The end of the auger, at least in a Bullseye, could have a 1/2" socket slid over it. I took a 1/2" socket and ground a slot across its face using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder. I found a allen wrench that fit through the cotter pin hole in the auger and cut off a short piece of it. Allen wrenches, at least a quality set, are very tough. Even ones this small. I put the piece of allen wrench through the cross hole in auger and slid the socket over the end so the slot engages the allen wrench. Voila, now we had way to unscrew that thing...

oiLJqmul.jpg

k7xQZVhl.jpg

My son happens to sell Hilti power tools for a living, so he has a truck full of cordless impacts in both 3/8 and 1/2". I went ahead and made a socket for each size. I told him to try the 3/8" first, only go to the 22 volt, 1/2" drive impact gun as a last resort. The torque that thing has will break your arm if you're not careful.

When he got home he tried with the 3/8" drive and nothing moved. He called to report progress and I told him to alternate between forward and reverse. Still no movement. I told him to go ahead and get the big dawg, 1/2" impact out but set it to LOW. Again, no movement. I was really afraid he'd break something if he set it to a higher torque. Another light bulb went off, I had him pour a bottle of water into the hopper and take a break until all the water was soaked up, took about 15 minutes. He put the impact back on and hit the trigger. That auger came FLYING out. The pitch of the auger makes it so a little rotational movement results in A LOT of lateral movement. Luckily, he was still set on low so it was manageable.

With the auger out, he was left with a perfect wooden nut in the auger tube that he managed to chisel out with a combo of tools he had available. A tire iron, a flag pole, some PVC pipe, etc. 😅

I should have had him video the process but hopefully you can get the gist of it from my overly verbose description.

Last edited:
Made a profile just to come back here and say thank you! I have an RT-1070 that had a stuck auger. Followed this guide loosely and my grill is working again!

Here are a couple of things I did differently:
Used hot water from an electric kettle to free up the compacted saw dust.
Did not need a torque wrench, ratchet worked just fine.
Removed the fan next to the feed tube.
Used a long, thin water hose attachment to break up the coagulated saw dust with a shop vac in the hopper.
Once about 3/4 of the way through I was able to punch out the rest with a long pole into the fire pot.
There was quite a bit of water left in various parts of the grill when done. A towel and the shop vac on blower mode worked fine to dry everything out before reassembly.
THIS WAS A PROCESS BUT I CANT THINK OF A MORE PAINLESS WAY.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

- one very happy, albeit exhausted, recteq owner

Last edited:
Made a profile just to come back here and say thank you! I have an RT-1070 that had a stuck auger. Followed this guide loosely and my grill is working again!

Here are a couple of things I did differently:
Used hot water from an electric kettle to free up the compacted saw dust.
Did not need a torque wrench, ratchet worked just fine.
Removed the fan next to the feed tube.
Used a long, thin water hose attachment to break up the coagulated saw dust with a shop vac in the hopper.
Once about 3/4 of the way through I was able to punch out the rest with a long pole into the fire pot.
There was quite a bit of water left in various parts of the grill when done. A towel and the shop vac on blower mode worked fine to dry everything out before reassembly.
THIS WAS A PROCESS BUT I CANT THINK OF A MORE PAINLESS WAY.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

- one very happy, albeit exhausted, recteq owner
Interesting. I was wondering if there was some kind of liquid solution to break up the compressed sawdust thats stuck in the auger tube. Did you just pour it in- maybe tip the entire smoker so gravity works or how did you get the water into the tube? I punched through from the end of the auger (after removing the motor ) but all I did was create a nice hole down the center.

Though I'd drop this long PSA here since it will apply to most RecTeq products.

For anyone who has experienced pellets getting wet, then drying like concrete around their auger, you know what a major PITA it is to unstick that auger. I experienced this early on with my Bullseye. We were on vacation and my Bullseye got drenched in wind driven rainstorm. I didn't have a cover then, didn't know I needed one. The pellets in mine were still a little wet when I got home and discovered the problem. I was able to brute force it out of the tube by prying on the motor end while my dad tapped on the fire pot end with a hammer/long punch. It sucked.

My son's Bullseye is under a covered patio at his apartment. I encouraged him to get a cover, but he believed it was positioned so it couldn't get rained on. He was wrong. His ordeal was worse than mine because he didn't discover the problem until the wad of pellets had dried like concrete in the auger tube. It was also complicated by the fact that him and his roommate are not all that handy when it comes to fixing things. They tried to pry/hammer the auger out but it wouldn't budge.

While he was home for Christmas, we took my Bullseye apart and made sure he understood exactly how to remove the auger. He was sure he'd done everything right.

I have said before that it would be super handy if RecTeq put a hex on the end of those augers. Those dried pellets in the auger tube are effectively a nut. With a hex, you could put a socket on the end of the auger and simply unscrew it. Some have had luck just tightening a cordless drill chuck on the auger and doing this.

Starring at the end of my auger shaft, a lightbulb went off. The end of the auger, at least in a Bullseye, could have a 1/2" socket slid over it. I took a 1/2" socket and ground a slot across its face using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder. I found a allen wrench that fit through the cotter pin hole in the auger and cut off a short piece of it. Allen wrenches, at least a quality set, are very tough. Even ones this small. I put the piece of allen wrench through the cross hole in auger and slid the socket over the end so the slot engages the allen wrench. Voila, now we had way to unscrew that thing...

oiLJqmul.jpg

k7xQZVhl.jpg

My son happens to sell Hilti power tools for a living, so he has a truck full of cordless impacts in both 3/8 and 1/2". I went ahead and made a socket for each size. I told him to try the 3/8" first, only go to the 22 volt, 1/2" drive impact gun as a last resort. The torque that thing has will break your arm if you're not careful.

When he got home he tried with the 3/8" drive and nothing moved. He called to report progress and I told him to alternate between forward and reverse. Still no movement. I told him to go ahead and get the big dawg, 1/2" impact out but set it to LOW. Again, no movement. I was really afraid he'd break something if he set it to a higher torque. Another light bulb went off, I had him pour a bottle of water into the hopper and take a break until all the water was soaked up, took about 15 minutes. He put the impact back on and hit the trigger. That auger came FLYING out. The pitch of the auger makes it so a little rotational movement results in A LOT of lateral movement. Luckily, he was still set on low so it was manageable.

With the auger out, he was left with a perfect wooden nut in the auger tube that he managed to chisel out with a combo of tools he had available. A tire iron, a flag pole, some PVC pipe, etc. 😅

I should have had him video the process but hopefully you can get the gist of it from my overly verbose description.
The augur on my Bullseye froze on the Friday before Christmas (don't leave open in rain Duh!). I found the youtube ling below and in less that an hour, Fixed. This is a method that is quick and works!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back