Bullseye Freeing a stuck auger with science

Arjay

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey folks, I just had gone through my first winter with my Bullseye covered up and was surprised to find the auger had stuck when I went to use it a few months later.

I mistakenly figured that I didn't need to remove the pellets since the grill was covered but apparently the pellets need to be removed for the dampness of a PNW winter.

At any rate, I read up and watch a few RecTec YouTube videos on using a couple of claw hammers to pry the motor up to remove the auger.

It didn't take me long to realize that if I were to put any sort of force on the claw hammers, I would ruin the auger. I could just picture those swelled up pellets in there all glossy-like and acting like ceramic. That auger wasn't going anywhere.

I recently had some good luck using aluminum sulfate to remove a broken tap from an aluminum part, so I figured I'd apply the 'science' approach to attempt to remove the auger.

I needed something that will dissolve the wood fibers but not damage the steel. Long story short, I did a little research on the internet and found that Potassium Hydroxide should do the trick, so I purchased a 2lb container on Amazon for about $20. Note: Potassium Hydroxide is used in the paper mill industry to dissolve cellulose/wood fibers. It's also used in food prep, but I'm not sure what for.

The plan for auger removal is to pour the potassium hydroxide into each end of the auger to let it work its magic to soften up the pellets.

Grill Prep:
1. Follow the RecTec instructions to remove the shroud and auger motor {you've probably already done this if you're trying to remove a stuck auger).
2. Cover the electronics and blower motor with plastic to keep it from getting wet.
3. Remove any existing pellets from the hopper.
4. Vacuum any remaining loose pellets from the hopper and fire box.

Potassium Hydroxide Prep:
1. Follow the warnings on the potash label (use gloves and goggles)
2. Boil about 1 quart of water in a glass Pyrex bowl.
3. Slowly pour a small portion of the Potassium Hydroxide into the water (CAUTION: pour in small amounts because it will react and cause the water to violently boil)
4. You'll notice the potash will dissolve completely in the hot water.
5. Keep slowly adding more potash until the boiled water is super saturated (I used about 1/2 of the container in the quart of water - or about 1lb).

Applying the Solution:
1. Tip the grill up so the auger on the fire box side is near vertical
2. Pour some potash solution into the auger tube. Caution: do not pour the solution into the ignitor or thermistor tubes.
3. As the solution soaks in and drops down, keep refilling it (use about 1/4 quart, and save the remaining 1/4 quart for the other end of the auger)
4. After the solution has settled, flip the grill over with the opposite side of the auger is near vertical.
5. Pour the solution into the hopper so it goes down into the auger.
6. As the solution level drops, keep topping it off until you use up all the solution.
7. Let sit for an hour or so.

Auger Removal:
I was able to use a pair of channel lock pliers on the motor end of the auger and get it to rotate (before this was impossible even attempting to pry the motor with the claw hammers). I 'unscrewed' the auger until it came completely out and then screwed it in a about an inch or so, and then pulled up on the auger and broke the 'engaged' softened pellets and pulled the auger completely out. Then I dumped the debris, screwed the auger back in another inch, pulled, lather, rinse, and repeated until I was able to remove all the softened pellets. I then used a garden hose, some cloth packing and a stick to clean any of the remaining pellet debris and solution. After cleaning off the auger, I reassembled the grill.

This process worked well for me and I was able to remove the auger without it stretching. Hopefully, the process will work for you.

20220717_194852.jpg

I’m not sure I’d be very comfortable using Potassium Hydroxide for this purpose. It can be pretty corrosive to certain metals, plastics, rubber, etc. and requires very careful use. Here’s the MSDS data sheet on it.

https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1571.pdf

Glad it worked for you, but I think just using hot water and a little more time might be nearly as effective; and, a lot safer. YMMV

I'm with Jim on this one. Water will dissolve the pellets.

Edit : not dissolve but break them up.

Potassium hydroxide is used in all sorts of food. As a preservative, thickener, chemical peeling of fruits and veggies, softening olives, etc.

That being said, I’d just use water as it’s corrosive to skin, and can create irritation to the nose and throat if inhaled.

Hot water didn't work at all for me.

Yeah, potassium hydroxide needs to be used with a bit of care - just like other household chemicals like bleach, drain cleaner, ammonia, etc. Heck, I come from a generation that played with Lawn Jarts as a kid, so taking a bit of care when dealing with chemicals comes somewhat naturally.

I'm hoping some folks will benefit from this approach.

Last edited:
Potassium hydroxide is used in all sorts of food. As a preservative, thickener, chemical peeling of fruits and veggies, softening olives, etc.

That being said, I’d just use water as it’s corrosive to skin, and can create irritation to the nose and throat if inhaled.
Yep, I’m more worried about skin/mucosal damage than metal corrosion. It’s alkalinity works well with iron-based alloys. Carbon steel can have problems, though.

Last edited:
I have never had this issue. I guess I have been lucky the last little over four years now with a Bullseye exposed out on the deck with the OEM cover. It gets very humid here in the south. I use Lumber jack pellets. I also have a 700. Both can sit all winter through rain and some snow. Maybe they don't make these like they used to. A lot of jammed auger posts lately.

Mine is stuck currently. I can’t get the pin out that holds the motor to the auger so I have been dumping boiling water through for a couple of days and still Stuck. If auger jams are to be expected why not make it easier to get the motor off. I am not comfortable taking the whole thing apart for this. I’ve not even had the grill for a year and not I going to need to pay several hundreds of $ for repairs.

Mine is stuck currently. I can’t get the pin out that holds the motor to the auger so I have been dumping boiling water through for a couple of days and still Stuck. If auger jams are to be expected why not make it easier to get the motor off. I am not comfortable taking the whole thing apart for this. I’ve not even had the grill for a year and not I going to need to pay several hundreds of $ for repairs.
Where are you located?

Water and a reliable mechanism to turn the auger is all you need. RecTeq could make our lives easier if they just put hex on the end of the auger. In the absence of that, do this...

Stuck Auger Removal

Not sure why my images aren't showing up, but you'll get the idea.

My prevention method is using the Recteq every week including during the winter (also in PNW).
This is my method also. I live in Chicago burbs and it gets real cold here in the winter but still use my Bullseye at least once a week if not more.

However, I have gotten my auger stuck a few times b/c I didn't put the cover on the grill and then it rained. Thankfully, the pellets were still damp and never got to the concrete phase.

This is an interesting thread, thanks for sharing @Arjay.

I have been working on my stuck auger on my Bullseye for hours on end. rRecteq customer service won’t really help me. I was such a huge Recteq fan but now I think I might just throw this damn thing away and get a Traeger. None of my friends who have Traegers report this problem. This thing is still under warranty but all I get from tech support is advice to beat on it and if things break then they will replace those things. Clearly this is a problem and you’d think Recteq would create a solution. I am a very disgruntled customer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back