Bullseye St. Louis Ribs

What kind of sausage is that on the side?
Just a plain sausage I buy from our little grocery store we have in the area. They have a great butcher shop. The sausage doesn’t have much flavor so you have to do a lot of doctoring up.
I always wrap, we like the fall off of the bone and it does keep them moist. Love to hear how they turn out! Just keep an eye on the Bullseye, not as stable as the other grills.
Almost 4.5 hours in. Wrapped in butcher paper for 1.25 hours. I’ve kept the temp at 225.

6E282D69-9B3E-40DC-80BE-0EAE1AA0F24F.jpeg

Just a plain sausage I buy from our little grocery store we have in the area. They have a great butcher shop. The sausage doesn’t have much flavor so you have to do a lot of doctoring up.

Almost 4.5 hours in. Wrapped in butcher paper for 1.25 hours. I’ve kept the temp at 225.

View attachment 17293

I’m doing St. Louis style ribs today myself. I’ve done the 3-2-1 method plenty of times with good results, but in the spirit of trying something new/learning I decided to not wrap at all today. Inspired by a recipe I saw on HeyGrillHey. Keeping them at 225 for the duration of the cook. I also put a foil pan with beer/apple juice in the Bull to help keep from drying them out (although with the rain we’re getting today in east-central MO it shouldn’t be an issue). I let them be for 90 minutes and have been spritzing with Dr. Pepper every so often (inspired by a post someone left on this forum recently). They look fantastic. I’m almost 5 hours in, so they should be getting fairly close. Hopefully they’ll be done in time for the Cardinals game tonight.

6A53B805-1E45-426B-94A8-E438D6E9E47F.jpeg

Brushed with Dijon mustard. Blues Hog rub on one, Heath Riles Honey Rub on the other.

832F9D73-A64E-4EF0-BC13-05316E05F9AA.jpeg

About 4 1/2 hours in. Looking good. I’ll update later once they’re done.

I’m doing St. Louis style ribs today myself. I’ve done the 3-2-1 method plenty of times with good results, but in the spirit of trying something new/learning I decided to not wrap at all today. Inspired by a recipe I saw on HeyGrillHey. Keeping them at 225 for the duration of the cook. I also put a foil pan with beer/apple juice in the Bull to help keep from drying them out (although with the rain we’re getting today in east-central MO it shouldn’t be an issue). I let them be for 90 minutes and have been spritzing with Dr. Pepper every so often (inspired by a post someone left on this forum recently). They look fantastic. I’m almost 5 hours in, so they should be getting fairly close. Hopefully they’ll be done in time for the Cardinals game tonight.

View attachment 17294

Brushed with Dijon mustard. Blues Hog rub on one, Heath Riles Honey Rub on the other.

View attachment 17295

Looks great!!

I always wrap, we like the fall off of the bone and it does keep them moist. Love to hear how they turn out! Just keep an eye on the Bullseye, not as stable as the other grills.
Almost 4.5 hours in. Wrapped in butcher paper for 1.25 hours.

End results. Butcher paper worked well. I feel I’m sold on that versus foil. I like that we had to bite into the rib and the bone didn’t fall out as I was cutting it up. Thanks gang for direction and responses.

View attachment 17300

View attachment 17303

View attachment 17304

View attachment 17305

View attachment 17306

View attachment 17294

View attachment 17295

E06BB803-2A88-4912-B1EA-8D6FFD473E36.jpeg

Pulled them at about 6 hours. They passed the bend and split tests. Sauced one and left the other plain at the girlfriend’s request. Not dried out at all - had to wipe my hand off after cutting the thicker side of the ribs because they were so juicy. Can’t say that the Dr. Pepper added a whole lot to the overall flavor, but the pan of liquid did wonders in keeping the moisture inside the cooking chamber.

8C40F6AF-6E94-4BA6-AC20-7E47A056A1F2.jpeg

Nice smoke ring, not dried out. Will definitely do them this way again.

I apologize fellas! I didn’t take pics of the end result. I pulled the shoulder at 190. I double wrapped it in foil and let it cool. I took it to the station the next day. Preheated the oven to 250. Unwrapped the roast and cooked it at 250 until the internal was 205. Pulled it and let it sit for about 2hrs. I had 1 small layer of fat that I pulled out. The bone came out clean. I shredded it and the guys tore it up! Since it was a bigger shoulder I had enough to give to the oncoming crew for dinner. I think that might have been my best shoulder that I have done. Butter soft and just the right spice layer to not take away from the pork taste.

I apologize fellas! I didn’t take pics of the end result. I pulled the shoulder at 190. I double wrapped it in foil and let it cool. I took it to the station the next day. Preheated the oven to 250. Unwrapped the roast and cooked it at 250 until the internal was 205. Pulled it and let it sit for about 2hrs. I had 1 small layer of fat that I pulled out. The bone came out clean. I shredded it and the guys tore it up! Since it was a bigger shoulder I had enough to give to the oncoming crew for dinner. I think that might have been my best shoulder that I have done. Butter soft and just the right spice layer to not take away from the pork taste.
Nice job, @FF Cory, even without photos. And, thanks for being one of our valued first responders; we love you folks. I got a little taste of the work—and, the smoke—when I worked as a forest firefighter (that’s what we were called way back then) in California and Yellowstone NP. You folks are amazing. Glad the crew got a taste of your other handiwork.

Nice job, @FF Cory, even without photos. And, thanks for being one of our valued first responders; we love you folks. I got a little taste of the work—and, the smoke—when I worked as a forest firefighter (that’s what we were called way back then) in California and Yellowstone NP. You folks are amazing. Glad the crew got a taste of your other handiwork.
I have a lot of appreciation for the Forestry FF. That’s a different guy to fight. I will take a house fire any day compared to a fire that generates its own power. Thank you though. It’s my pleasure to help others. 19 months left and I’m done. That will be 35yrs at the end of the day.

Outstanding!

I have always been the wrap guy. The other week, I did one rack dry, no wrap, and one with wrap. I did mop it with apple juice/cider vinegar, every 45 min. The rack that i didnt wrap had so much more flavor. I prefered it over the one that was wrapped. I could actually taste the rub and meat. Had good smoke flavor. I feel like, once you wrap your ribs, you loose all the smoke flavor and flavor from the rub. From now on, I will be messing with dry ribs and perfecting them. No need for all that brown sugar -honey -butter mess.

I have always been the wrap guy. The other week, I did one rack dry, no wrap, and one with wrap. I did mop it with apple juice/cider vinegar, every 45 min. The rack that i didnt wrap had so much more flavor. I prefered it over the one that was wrapped. I could actually taste the rub and meat. Had good smoke flavor. I feel like, once you wrap your ribs, you loose all the smoke flavor and flavor from the rub. From now on, I will be messing with dry ribs and perfecting them. No need for all that brown sugar -honey -butter mess.
What was your cook time for the unwrapped? Compared to the wrapped? Was the unwrapped dry at all? I know you mopped it.

What was your cook time for the unwrapped? Compared to the wrapped? Was the unwrapped dry at all? I know you mopped it.
I pulled them both at the same time. It was 5 hours i believe. Maybe they were a little more dry, but not by much. They were still juicy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back