Bull Spatchcock chicken

One armed bandit

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Any trick to getting a little crisper skin?
I use olive oil, and then whatever spice combination of the day. The meat’s always super moist, but I can’t get a good crisp on the skin.

Any trick to getting a little crisper skin?
I use olive oil, and then whatever spice combination of the day. The meat’s always super moist, but I can’t get a good crisp on the skin.
It would perhaps be helpful to let us know the entire process you are currently using before we can make suggestions as to what to try differently.

I’ll take a roaster and brine it for usually about an hour. Pat Drive cover with olive oil. Preheat the recteq to 250°. I usually use Ben’s heifer dust or Freaking Greek rub. Usually takes an hour and a half or two hours.

I have not tested, but there is a 0-400 degree I think process floating around you may want to search the forum.

If I remember correctly, keep the bird seasoned in the fridge. When ready, put the bird on the grill and fire it up to 400. Pull when the breast is at 155, thighs at 165.

I will start at 180 - 225 depending upon my mood to get some smoke then crank up to at least 375 - 400 to finish and crisp up skin. The timing of the smoke period depends upon how much smoke you want and how big a piece of poultry. I transition to the higher heat once the internal temperature starts to rise.

Other tricks are to separate the skin from the flesh for the most part. I've tried spraying with things like duck fat spray, but I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

EDIT: If you're just shooting for crispy skin, you can go 375+ for the whole cook. At that point you're basically just roasting.

Last edited:
We've been spray ours with Avocado Oil on the half hour
Then crank the Grill Temp to 450 for the last half hour
Gets the Skin to a nice gold and crispy

1686949399954.png

Spatchcock chicken is really the only way I cook on my rec TEC. I love it. Never really got a crispy skin though. One thing I would try is towards the end of your cook turn the temperature up to around 375 and flip the chicken over for about 10-15 minutes. Worth a try and I think I’ll do that next time. Just be careful not to overcook and dry it out.

I can get non rubbery skin by going to a higher temp, temp depending on how long you want to let it go at the higher temp. Crispy skin is another matter, I can only do it to my definition of crispy by moving the chicken over to the charcoal grill for 5 or so minutes at very high heat, it’ll also burn if you’re not careful. Could probably do the same on the gasser, but I have not tried it.

The feedback above will help you get it dialed in. I let it cook until around 160F and foil for the first rest period. At that time I crank the Bull up to 425F. I then put the bird back on skin side down on grill grates flat side and get a nice crispy skin. I remove when the temps hit 165-170F. Another cool trick is to use the GGs ribbed side up and put a diamond pattern on the birds skin using the same method I use for my steaks. Good luck.

I will start at 180 - 225 depending upon my mood to get some smoke then crank up to at least 375 - 400 to finish and crisp up skin. The timing of the smoke period depends upon how much smoke you want and how big a piece of poultry. I transition to the higher heat once the internal temperature starts to rise.

Other tricks are to separate the skin from the flesh for the most part. I've tried spraying with things like duck fat spray, but I'm not sure that it makes much difference.

EDIT: If you're just shooting for crispy skin, you can go 375+ for the whole cook. At that point you're basically just roasting.
I’m
The feedback above will help you get it dialed in. I let it cook until around 160F and foil for the first rest period. At that time I crank the Bull up to 425F. I then put the bird back on skin side down on grill grates flat side and get a nice crispy skin. I remove when the temps hit 165-170F. Another cool trick is to use the GGs ribbed side up and put a diamond pattern on the birds skin using the same method I use for my steaks. Good luck

Thanks! I’ll give that a try.
I’ve seen on some bbq cooking shows where the pit master “pricks” the dry chicken skin with something like a meat tenderizer (Bold XL Meat Tenderizer Tool 60-Blades Stainless Steel, Ease to Use & Clean - Kitchen Gadgets with Sharp Needle Makes The Toughest Steak Tender - No More Pounding Hammer Or Mallet https://a.co/d/hlcHBrI) but don’t shove it down into the meat. Just prick the skin all over.

Or, if you’ve got time and patience, pull the skin off and scrape the fat from the underside of the skin. Personally, I’d hate to lose all that fat/flavor. But it apparently gives that bite-through crispy skin like they want in competitive bbq’ing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back