First Spatchcock Chicken with a hint of Pollen-I passed!!!!!

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Good afternoon, I don't about where you live but here in Senoia, Georgia, the pollen has been thick and relentless. I started by blowing off my porches and then washing down my RecTeq. It was covered in pollen.

Anyway, I tried my first Spatchcock chicken. Watched lots of videos and this is what I did:
Got the chicken from Publix, the butcher spatchcocked it for me!
Then I dried it the best I could, put on a Parmesan and Garlic infused Olive Oil from an awesome place here in Senoia, called SauceDaddys. They are locally owned and great guys. They have tons of sauces, rubs, olive oils and balsamics. You can taste anything there!
Then sprinkled it Jane's Crazy Mixed up seasoning. It is what we had!
Then cooked on 375 for 1 hour, cranked up to 400 after an hour until the breast was 165. Total time was around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Skin came out fairly crispy, but not super crispy, a balance between crispy skin and dry chicken. Honestly we didnt mind and it is my first chicken!
Also threw on some Hasselback potatoes for 1 hour during the cook. They were awesome. Wive loved the chicken and told me how juicy it was.
Also, she does not like a heavy smoke and she mentioned how clean it was. I am sure I could have smoked it up, but happy wife happy life!

Did notice after the cook pollen was new on the grill so I am sure the chicken was pollen infused as well.

Anyway, thanks to all who post and teach us newbies!

Tomorrow I am cooking a rack of St Louis style ribs and a baby back rack. Going to do the 321 and 221 respectively as I am a beginner! I am sure they too will have a hint of pollen!

Happy to receive any feedback on chicken and rib tips!

Attachments

• IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Looks great.. no signs of pollen here in NJ yet that I have seen although we hit over 80 yesterday but barely broke 60 today.
AC has been on for past several days here.

I would like to brown up a little more, is that the rub I use? Also this was a 5lb bird, is that too large?
It did do quite a bit of seasoning on my new 590!

Love the spatchcock chicken. Easy and tastes great. This is how I do mine.
-brine in salt and brown sugar overnight
-remove from brine and rub with a mixture of spices (brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper)
-heat up the grill to 250
-skin side down for 1hour at 250
-flip and bone side down for 2 hours at 225
-baste with bbq sauce at 1 hr. Left every 20 minutes
Like I said, very simple and very good. Juicy meat and crispy skin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back