RT-1250 Why did you choose the 1250 over…?

smovider

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hello fellow RT owners!

The subject line pretty much Begs the question of why did you choose the RT – 1250? I am now considering this over the RT – 700. Based on what I’m hearing the first rack or the bottom rack is still too warm for cooking briskets, which means the second rack is where to do most of the slow cooking.

Thoughts or your comments are greatly appreciated

When I bought my 1250, it had a number of upgrades that hadn't yet made their way to the 700. I suppose these days the 700 may give you more bang for the buck if, like you said, didn't need the second rack, front shelf, electrical outlet, etc.

In all fairness, I've never had any issues cooking briskets on the bottom rack. In hindsight, I rarely use the top rack, but I mostly am doing smaller cooks.

I agree with Pacman. Usually do my briskets on the bottom rack and I’ve had zero issues and made some of the best food I’ve ever made, do my Dino’s down there as well. I use the top rack for veggies a lot.

Another board.... Guy ran a thread for about a year, pages and pages long... finally bought one a couple weeks ago. It's OK to take your time thinking it out before shelling out more or less a grand.

I started cooking my briskets on the top rack of my 1250 and have got better results.

I used to always cook fat cap down on the lower rack, to protect it from the heat below. As a Texan, this is known as the wrong way but it was necessary to cook fat down to protect it from the underside heat.

Now I cool on the top shelf, as long as its not too big, fat side up, and a water drip pan below the second shelf for water (moisture) and to catch drippings, and another level of heat protection. Cooking fat side up has resulted in better briskets because the fat renders off easier and into the meat...hello moister flats!

Would I buy a 1250 just for the second shelf? I wouldn't. I have both a 1250 and 700 and the second shelf of the 1250 spends 99% of its life hanging on the back hooks. The pit design of the 1250 isnt great to use with the second shelf in, not a lot of room to work the bottom rack without burning your hands. The "hook" they give you to pull the bottom rack is great if you dont mind dropping grease on your patio, so I dont use it.

In summary, 2nd rack great for right side up briskets, gets in the way most of the time for other cooks.

I went with the 1250 mostly for the larger cooking surface and upper shelf. I thought about the 1070 with cart for a while and decided more space would come in handy, especially when cooking for friends, parties, etc.

After a year of looking at different brands I was ready to buy the 700 with a second rack and the front shelf, then the 1250 was released...bought it and have been cooking briskets to perfection...on the bottom shelf, since.:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back