Now What? Brisket did not make it on time..

BigDog

Somehow I purchased an 11 lb. point and smoked it today but it did not finish in time for dinner. So how do I proceed to have it for dinner tomorrow night??

Thanks

If you have a cambria, pizza oven or good cooler, set if for 150F and you can let it ride for up to 24 hours. Whatever you do don’t let it go below 140F or you risk bacterial growth. If that doesn’t work for you let it finish, separate the point from the flat, vacuum pack it and put it in the freezer for the weekend. Don’t forget to save all the juices. They’ll come in handy when you reheat it.

Ok, here is what I am thinking. Let it rest until it hits about 160 F then keeping it wrapped in the butcher paper wrap it in foil then refrigerate. Tomorrow throw all of this in the oven at 200 F until it hits about 160 again. I am not sure this will work??

My oven has a warm setting for 170, I leave it in there wrapped in tinfoil with a pat of lard on the bottom to make sure it stays moist. Pulled the next day and it was great. Make sure to pour the juices that collected in the foil into the pulled meat.

I know it’s too late for what you were asking but I’ve held briskets for up to 12 hours in a counter top roaster. I keep an ambient probe to check the roaster temp and a meat probe to keep an eye on the brisket temp.
IMG_6251.jpeg

Thanks guys for all of the support. I ended up putting it in the refrigerator and then in the oven the next day. I let it rest for about 2.5 hours after the cook and had tried a slice and it was outstanding after I very slowly warmed it up in the oven to 150 degrees the next day it turned into pot roast. I think if I try this again i will put it directly in the fridge. We ate it and have plenty of leftovers but not what I was hoping for. The brisket cook is still a mystery for me but I am sure I will try again in a few weeks.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you could vacuum seal and freeze portions for eating later. I usually slice it and seal up the slices in portions large enough for dinner for 2. Reheat with a sous vide and it tastes like it just came off the smoker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back