Short Ribs - First time bone in plate ribs

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all. I am still waiting to cook my first "Dino" beef ribs, but found two really good packages of Choice on the bone short ribs at our Wegmans the other day. In all my excitement to make them, I forgot to save the total weight and cost per pound. I know this is a standard cook, but a first for me. I have cooked short ribs on the pit, but never on the bone. I kind of stole a lot of ideas of other folks cooks.

I had 7 pretty good pieces which I trimmed some of the fat from the top first rub was a light dusting of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Rub, then topped that with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Into a ziploc bag overnight. Set pit at 225 and the ribs went on the pit. After the first hour I spritzed every 30 minutes or so until I pulled them for the next step.

I do not usually wrap meats anymore, but my wife really wanted a sauce for the ribs so I had to please her of course. In a half pan I put 1 whole sweet onion cut into quarters, four sticks of celery cut into thirds, 10-12 baby carrots and 6 cloves of garlic smashed. To this I added 2 cups beef broth and a beer (Yuenling was the best I had on hand), and a few shakes of the Santa Maria Rub.

After about 3.5 hours the ribs reached 155 when probed with the theromopen. I then put the ribs into the half pan with the braising liquid and covered with tin foil. Back on the pit for another 3 hours at 225. I tested for temp at this point and they were now reading 195. I raised the temp to 275 for another 30 minutes. Family was getting hungry so I had to pull at this point. Temp when probed was 200 so I knew at least they were edible at this point, but they did not probe as tender as I would have liked. I strained the liquid from the onions etc, removed some of the fat, in a pot to reduce the sauce a bit and added a cornstarch slurry to thicken a bit.

In the end, they should have gone a little longer for more tender...they were a little tight, but man were they good!!! Served them over mashed potatoes, and a mixed veggie, with the sauce poured over the top. Will be making these again.

Attachments

• Short Ribs Rubbed.jpg
    Short Ribs Rubbed.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Short Ribs After 3.5 hours.jpg
    Short Ribs After 3.5 hours.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Short Ribs Braising liquid.jpg
    Short Ribs Braising liquid.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Short Ribs in braise before wrapping.jpg
    Short Ribs in braise before wrapping.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 93
  • Short Ribs done.jpg
    Short Ribs done.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Short Ribs Plated.jpg
    Short Ribs Plated.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 81

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back