First time Beef Short Ribs and i have questions!!

cbsmokes

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So i pulled the trigger on a whole steer that i split with a buddy. Now i have a few packages of short ribs that are almost thawed and looking to get onto the RT-1250 today. I have never attempted these before so i am looking for some advice.
1. Should i remove the silver skin as in pork ribs?
2. How much should i trim the fat on the top?
3. Time and temp? I googled "RecTeq smoked beef short ribs" and got 250 for 3 hrs then turn up to 375 for 30-35 min. Thoughts???
4. Does anyone recommend a butcher paper wrap? Is there a stall that i should be prepared for?
I believe internal temps should get to 200-205.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Assuming you have the large plate or chuck ribs what I do is:

1. Leave the membrane on the back of the ribs (I assume that’s what you meant by silver skin like pork ribs). If you don’t the meat can easily separate from the bone.
2. I trim pretty much all the fat off so I get a good bark on the meat. Depending on the ribs there can be a spot where the fat goes nearly to the bone so I leave that and trim it off when we eat.
3. I just go 250 all the way but if you want heavier smoke start lower then raise the temp after an hour or two.
4. I don’t wrap short ribs. They have lots of marbling and can handle not being wrapped. I check every couple of hours and if something starts looking a little dry will spritz.
Ribs are the closest thing to set it and forget it. Once the get to 195-200 start probing. Don’t take them off until they probe like melted butter. IMHO it’s the best and easiest BBQ there is. Good luck!
D74CA968-28A1-49E4-832E-31427A3EFCDB.jpeg
7E81531F-68C6-49F2-9102-432B53614B18.jpeg

Honestly i have no idea which ribs i have.
For some reason the butcher cut with the grain and in stead of leaving the whole rib bone in he/she cut the bones. So i have strips roughly 6"-8" x 2" with 2-3 rib bones in each.

Thanks for the advice. Im getting them on now and i will go with 250 until probe tender.
Excited!
Updates coming!

Honestly i have no idea which ribs i have.
For some reason the butcher cut with the grain and in stead of leaving the whole rib bone in he/she cut the bones. So i have strips roughly 6"-8" x 2" with 2-3 rib bones in each.

Thanks for the advice. Im getting them on now and i will go with 250 until probe tender.
Excited!
Updates coming!
So...? How did they turn out?

They turned out magnificent. I smoked @ 250 for about 3.5 hrs then turned it up to 375 and probed until i hit 205.
The ribs were not uniform in size and weight so i did pull them in 3 different batches and wrapped in foil.

Tried to get a post smoke picture, but the savages i was cooking for could not wait! Myself included!

I will definitely do those again. Maybe ill try the "plate" ribs next and purchase a more uniform rack.

Attachments

• 20220514_135623.jpg
    20220514_135623.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 182
They turned out magnificent. I smoked @ 250 for about 3.5 hrs then turned it up to 375 and probed until i hit 205.
The ribs were not uniform in size and weight so i did pull them in 3 different batches and wrapped in foil.

Tried to get a post smoke picture, but the savages i was cooking for could not wait! Myself included!

I will definitely do those again. Maybe ill try the "plate" ribs next and purchase a more uniform rack.
One "Problem" with beef ribs (Talking plate ribs here) is they look anemic and literally crappy when they are raw - people see that, then they see the finished product on Facebook and go HUH - I must have gotten the wrong ribs. The amount they "Plump up" is amazing and until you cook them you won't think it is right.

Plate ribs code 123A is what you want for what my family calls "Dino Ribs"

I have an added question to this hopfully ya all are still on here making bellys happy one BBQ feed at a time. I am making these but I am wondering how long can I hold them before they lose there amazingness.? and help or advise would be awsome! shooting for a 3 to 4 hr hold...

You can hold them in a cooler with towels around them for 3-4 hours. Just keep track of the meat temp and don’t let it go below 140 until you are getting ready to serve. I’ve held beef ribs in my roaster oven at 150-155 for over 8 hours. Rest will do them good.

You can hold them in a cooler with towels around them for 3-4 hours. Just keep track of the meat temp and don’t let it go below 140 until you are getting ready to serve. I’ve held beef ribs in my roaster oven at 150-155 for over 8 hours. Rest will do them good.
awesome! Thank you for the help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back