Bull RT700 bull never gets over 427 degrees when set on full, any suggestions?

oldcrowews

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I bought my Bull sometime last fall in Oct 2021 I think I have done a pig butt and chicken. Those cooks went fine but today I was trying to cook ribeye steaks and i had the grill set to full and the temp never got over 427 degrees. I had the grill on for over 1 hour before I finally put the steaks on and c;ouldn't get a very good sear. I also had a searing set and used that. Any suggestions as what I can do to get the temp up over 427? I use Recteq pellets.

I bought my Bull sometime last fall in Oct 2021 I think I have done a pig butt and chicken. Those cooks went fine but today I was trying to cook ribeye steaks and i had the grill set to full and the temp never got over 427 degrees. I had the grill on for over 1 hour before I finally put the steaks on and c;ouldn't get a very good sear. I also had a searing set and used that. Any suggestions as what I can do to get the temp up over 427? I use Recteq pellets.
Some have installed a faster auger motor. Make sure fire pot is clean and try another bag of fresh pellets.

Check your RTD probe inside the grill. Make sure it is standing straight up. If it is bent toward the barrel it will affect the grills ability to reach temp. Also if you had grill grates on the left side of the grill it will mess with the RTD probe. Either situation makes the controller think the grill is hotter than it actually is.

What was the outside ambient temp ?
CC temp verified with another digital thermometer ?

I think something is wrong or maybe the pellets? Mine I had on full in about the same temps and I hit 580.

Yeah something isn't right, I can hit over 400F in about 15 min with garbage Traeger pellets. Be sure the temp probe is also very clean, I use isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel to clean mine. Obviously I have a Stampede, but the extra volume between the grills shouldn't cause much difference in time to heat.

Clean the RTD probe in the grill and the check the actual grill temp with a known good thermometer.

You may have to adjust the temp offset.

... Obviously I have a Stampede, but the extra volume between the grills shouldn't cause much difference in time to heat.
I think it would make a big difference in time to heat. The fire pots and augers are all basically the same in these grills, from the Bullseye to the BFG. The larger the grill, the more air volume, larger surface area of the metal drum to dissipate heat, and more metal to heat up. Yes, the BFG and 1250 have faster auger motors, than the others, but use the same mechanisms.

Here's my recent test results of my 700 with the OEM auger motor and the 2 rpm motor, using rectec ultimate blend pellets ~65F outside air temps.

Here's a link to the thread where my test was discussed. https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/any-luck-on-2-5-auger-for-2022-with-recteq.5272/page-2
Rectec OEM 1.6 rpm vs 2.0 rpm auger motor.jpg

Last edited:
Some have installed a faster auger motor. Make sure fire pot is clean and try another bag of fresh pellets.
I’ve got the same problem, bought mine a year and a half ago and obviously never tried the searing of steaks until about two months ago, and I can’t get above 460 and that’s after an hour and a half. I’ve tried sear plates in sear plates out put a piece of foil between the lid and Barrel to see if it would get more airflow, cleaned out the fire pot, cleaned out the auger new pellets still no go…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back