Stampede RT590 second rack

Lineforeman

I just finished installing the Gene Gauger second rack in my RT590. I am impressed with the build quality and the ease of installation. Now I just need to get it back out on the deck and give it the smoke test.
98984670-9521-4E03-9909-3FCF7C9A7831.jpeg

May be camera angle - or maybe where @Lineforeman chose to put the rack - it looks like there's more height from the 2nd rack to the top than on the 1070. I've frequently wished the top rack was just a bit lower. If you've got a chubby butt - it can be a tight fit.

Gene Gauger's shelf is legit, heavy duty stainless steel... the other option someone else sells is made from inexpensive expanded non-stainless steel.

Remember bolting mild steel shelves to stainless steel will create galvanic corrosion. The mild steel is anodic to the stainless. So the mild steel will rust even with seasoning. Stainless to stainless will last longer and not have rust in your food.

Remember bolting mild steel shelves to stainless steel will create galvanic corrosion. The mild steel is anodic to the stainless. So the mild steel will rust even with seasoning. Stainless to stainless will last longer and not have rust in your food.
That's another reason why people should choose one of Gene Gauger's shelves over the other option since even the brackets are made from tig welded 304 stainless (y)

That's another reason why people should choose one of Gene Gauger's shelves over the other option since even the brackets are made from tig welded 304 stainless (y)
I am guessing you are talking about the PCS Rack Works shelves when you mention the "other option". The point about rusting is completely out of context. The only way they will rust overtime is if you leave the racks outside (fine if kept in the grill), but why would anyone do that? If you need more height space for a certain cook, just remove the rack, or racks you don’t need & put them back in the grill when you’re done. It’s just like stick burner or offsets grills, nobody builds stainless racks for them because it’s not necessary at all.

I am guessing you are talking about the PCS Rack Works shelves when you mention the "other option". The point about rusting is completely out of context. The only way they will rust overtime is if you leave the racks outside (fine if kept in the grill), but why would anyone do that? If you need more height space for a certain cook, just remove the rack, or racks you don’t need & put them back in the grill when you’re done. It’s just like stick burner or offsets grills, nobody builds stainless racks for them because it’s not necessary at all.
The point being is Gene's are made from heavy duty T304 stainless steel with thick solid T304 stainless rods for the cooking grates while the other is not made from stainless steel using inexpensive thin expanded steel for the cooking grates. It's great that people have a choice for extra shelves though should know the properties of each shelf system prior to purchasing.
There's a reason RT selected T304 stainless for the stock firepot, drip tray and cooking grates due its highly rust resistive properties :unsure:

I just pulled a 9lb butt off the new second rack to wrap it. Put it on last night at 8:30 at 200 degrees after freezing at my grandson’s track meet for 4 hours. Pulled at 6:00 at 164 degrees. I did not get any pictures last night I was still shivering from sitting at the meet. And didn’t take any this morning it is 25 degrees outdoors. It fit fine on the top rack thought.

662D71B7-85F8-4889-97F0-F6FC3A09FBB2.jpeg

100% my man!
1680227506777.png

The point being is Gene's are made from heavy duty T304 stainless steel with thick solid T304 stainless rods for the cooking grates while the other is not made from stainless steel using inexpensive thin expanded steel for the cooking grates. It's great that people have a choice for extra shelves though should know the properties of each shelf system prior to purchasing.
There's a reason RT selected T304 stainless for the stock firepot, drip tray and cooking grates due its highly rust resistive properties :unsure:
Pungo, stainless is a new trend in smokers & while not a bad thing…there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my mild steel racks & yes expanded steel is a bit cheaper than the grates that Gene gets on Amazon. However My racks are extremely heavy duty, I use 5/8 square tubing…all 45 degree welded joints & cleaned up. All my brackets are as stout as my racks & everything I make is built from bar stock 100% custom fabbed & no outsourcing. Just needs to be seasoned & all is good. Gene is a good guy & I’ve spoke with him a few times. Some folks simply want stainless & that’s awesome…but please don’t put it out there that my expanded steel racks are inexpensive/cheap because they certainly are not. No disrespect to you & I’m looking for a debate…just clearing up the misconception of mild steel being a “cheap” option 👍

Pungo, stainless is a new trend in smokers & while not a bad thing…there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my mild steel racks & yes expanded steel is a bit cheaper than the grates that Gene gets on Amazon. However My racks are extremely heavy duty, I use 5/8 square tubing…all 45 degree welded joints & cleaned up. All my brackets are as stout as my racks & everything I make is built from bar stock 100% custom fabbed & no outsourcing. Just needs to be seasoned & all is good. Gene is a good guy & I’ve spoke with him a few times. Some folks simply want stainless & that’s awesome…but please don’t put it out there that my expanded steel racks are inexpensive/cheap because they certainly are not. No disrespect to you & I’m looking for a debate…just clearing up the misconception of mild steel being a “cheap” option 👍
  • Just so you know, better grills have been using stainless steel cooking grates for decades due to it's highly rust resistive properties, so it's nothing new.
  • Expanded steel is relatively thin in comparison to 7mm solid stainless steel rods
  • Non-stainless expanded steel is inexpensive in comparison to 7mm solid stainless steel rods, fact. I know since we've been purchasing it in 4'x8' sheets on commercial contruction projects for decades.
  • We buy a tons of all different types of steel for our commercial construction projects and stainless prices have gone through the roof and are way higher than non-stainless and always has been; therefore we have been trying to reduce the amount of stainless we spec wherever possible due to the higher cost.
  • As I said, "It's great that people have a choice for extra shelves though should know the properties of each shelf system prior to purchasing."
  • I commend you for offering quality add on cooking grates for the RT line of grills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back