Temperature Probes on RT590

Bmr23

I have been using my RT590 now for over a year and have never felt confident in the accuracy of the temperature probes. One always seems to read significantly higher than the other and neither matches up well with my ThermoPen. I have gone through the calibration process and have labeled the probes on the app (and with colored tape where they plug in) so I am always using the same probe in the same port. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Love my RT590 and the great PID controller but I am bout to give up on the temperature probes and just buy an external thermometer like the Chef Alarm.

Just buy a ThermoWorks Signals remote unit like many of us RT owners have done and rest easy. Watch for the periodic TW sales to get the best deal. And, no, I am not affiliated in any way with TW.

https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
To take Jim's excellent suggestion one step further, sign up for the Thermoworks e-mails. They (VERY) regularly announce sales. Don't "panic" buy, wait for a "sale" e-mail. One will be along shortly. :)

Make sure the probe receiver on the controller is tight. When loose they give bad readings. Also make sure you are fully seating the probe plug when plugging them in. There are also after market probes you can purchase on Amazon that are better than the Recteq probes but they won’t work any better if the probe receivers aren’t tightened properly.
I agree with the others that a third party probe is a good thing to have. If a ThermoWorks is out of your budget there are cheaper ones.

If you want a cheaper option, go to amazon and search elgin bbq probes for recteq - I think they are $20 a piece and plug into the recteq controller. I gave up on the recteq probes and I use these. They are accurate and it's nice to use the recteq app.

Obviously thermoworks is top of the line so not discouraging those by any means.

I have been using my RT590 now for over a year and have never felt confident in the accuracy of the temperature probes. One always seems to read significantly higher than the other and neither matches up well with my ThermoPen. I have gone through the calibration process and have labeled the probes on the app (and with colored tape where they plug in) so I am always using the same probe in the same port. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Love my RT590 and the great PID controller but I am bout to give up on the temperature probes and just buy an external thermometer like the Chef Alarm.
These probes will never have the accuracy of a third party company that specialize in the manufacturing of thermometers, etc. The probes are useful guides at best. They don't have a long shelf life and are basically toss away parts.

From what I have seen Thermoworks and Firebird are two of the most recommend units. If you don't want to drop a ton of $$ the Inkbird BBQ 4-T can get the job done. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how accurate you want your device to be.

Make sure the probe receiver on the controller is tight. When loose they give bad readings. Also make sure you are fully seating the probe plug when plugging them in. There are also after market probes you can purchase on Amazon that are better than the Recteq probes but they won’t work any better if the probe receivers aren’t tightened properly.
I agree with the others that a third party probe is a good thing to have. If a ThermoWorks is out of your budget there are cheaper ones.
To build on @Waterboy’s point, I’m pretty sure he is referring to making sure the nuts on the probe receptacles (where you plug them in) are tight. There have been numerous instances where, if they weren’t tight, the probe accuracy was off or, they didn’t work at all.

I have the Inkbird, unit is solid probes are junk and don’t last.

I checked both of my cheap garbage OEM probes with a $2500 annually calibrated Fluke temp monitor from work, I'd say that a 1 degree discrepancy isn't too shabby. You also don't always get more or better by paying more, but I do prefer using external probes for various reasons over the RT probe set up.

Going on year 3 with my 590 and I just don't see the temp probe problem. Maybe I am just way to simple and only use the probes as a "guide". Being an " old curmudgeon" my advice is learn to cook and quit depending so much on gadgets.

I'm a fellow curmudgeon and at times luddite myself. LOL

My 590 probes are a few degrees off as well. I usually set them and before the food is at my desired end temperature, I will check it with my Thermapen MK4. Then finish cooking based on the MK4 readings for accuracy. I understand if you don't have one, but it is a great tool not only for BBQ, but every day in the kitchen. Buy one and you will not be sorry. Cheers!

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

My 590 probes are a few degrees off as well. I usually set them and before the food is at my desired end temperature, I will check it with my Thermapen MK4. Then finish cooking based on the MK4 readings for accuracy. I understand if you don't have one, but it is a great tool not only for BBQ, but every day in the kitchen. Buy one and you will not be sorry. Cheers!

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/
Yes, I have one and I do the same thing. I just wish the ones on the 590 worked better.

I just notice the differential also I also have a Govee 4 probe unit that with in a couple of degrees from my Thermapen Mk4. So I guess that's what I have to do. Use the RecTeq for general reference and fine tune to the Govee.
Yhanks guys

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back