RT590, RT700 or other brand?

Assuming I go RT, I'm torn between the 590 and 700. I live alone.
Buy the Bull and you'll have plenty of friends to share your culinary creations with. :)

So far smoke flavor has not been an issue with anything I've made. I bought the grill grates and do a lot of high temp cooking on them. Its not 900 degrees but the results have been good enough for me. After 6 weeks, almost forget what a burger/steak on the old grill looked like.

Ok guys, just pulled the trigger on RT700 and competition cart. They look great together. Here's what she's going to look like. Also ordered the 30x60 inch pad for the patio. Would have ordered the cover, sear grates and front shelf but all are out of stock. RT needs to improve their supply chain. Too many items out of stock.

Attachments

• RT-COMPC.04.jpg
    RT-COMPC.04.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
thnx! Should I smoke a few pounds of bacon for the seasoning session?

From what I can tell, there's no reason to do a "seasoning" cook. Even a high fat, high temp cook doesn't coat the entire pit with grease. Just to the 400F burn for sterilizing and get with whatever cooking you'd like. "Seasoning" is highly over rated, IMO. But, if you must, just wipe down the entire inside of the barrel with a fat of your choice.

thnx! Should I smoke a few pounds of bacon for the seasoning session?
I cut up 3 whole chickens (24 pcs) spread the pieces out all over the grates, front to back and side to side ln my Bull. Cooked them hot and fast at 425deg. F for 45mins = done, chicken grease sprayed everywhere! Mission accomplished.

From what I can tell, there's no reason to do a "seasoning" cook. Even a high fat, high temp cook doesn't coat the entire pit with grease. Just to the 400F burn for sterilizing and get with whatever cooking you'd like. "Seasoning" is highly over rated, IMO. But, if you must, just wipe down the entire inside of the barrel with a fat of your choice.
Thanks, what kind of fat are you thinking of and where do I get it?

Congrats on your bull. You will love it. Do the 400 burn in, and if you want to season the grill, chicken or bacon are good choices. But as Roanie mentions, that is not even necessary. I would not (because I did not) feel the need to wipe down inside with fat. After a few cooks, your pit will automatically start to build up a seasoning. But there is no right or wrong way to Q, only the way you like, so do what you like and it will always be a good outcome.

Rather than start another thread, what do you all recommend as the best pellet brand(s) and mixes/blends. I'll be doing steaks, ribs, chicken...not much fish unless I learn better how to cook it.

After a few cooks, your pit will automatically start to build up a seasoning. But there is no right or wrong way to Q, only the way you like, so do what you like and it will always be a good outcome.
Absolutely.......no right or wrong way, just your way. Explore all your options and techniques.....and pick things that work for you.

Thanks, what kind of fat are you thinking of and where do I get it?

I did not wipe the interior of the drum with a fat. But I do wipe the grates with a fat each cook. I generally use vegetable oil. But I've also used PAM, bacon, pork or beef fat. Just on the grates. If you feel the need to season the drum, the method I used for my carbon steel stick burner was just vegetable oil and a papertowel. But seasoning a carbon steel cooker is also about rust prevention.

Love my 590 with comp cart, best decision I made was getting that cart! I hit 550+ all the time also. Neither the 590 or 700 will give you the stick burner smoke flavor, but theres ways to come close with actual wood chunks which works great for me .

Attachments

• 20200531_215836.jpg
    20200531_215836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
Love my 590 with comp cart, best decision I made was getting that cart! I hit 550+ all the time also. Neither the 590 or 700 will give you the stick burner smoke flavor, but theres ways to come close with actual wood chunks which works great for me .
Thanx. I'm familiar with pellet tubes for smoke. How do you use wood chunks?

Congrats on the purchase. I got mine last week and have used it every day since -- and have had some amazing food. It really is simple to use. I'm starting to wonder why I bought the cover.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back