RT590, RT700 or other brand?

animallover526

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been researching pellet grills for a while now and have checked out anything from camp chef to LG, smoke n hot, smokin brothers, yoder and Memphis. Many were out of my price point of $1,500.00. I'm a RT lean right now. I guess my biggest concerns about RT are smoke output/flavor and temp range as I want ability to reverse sear thick steaks and chops.

Assuming I go RT, I'm torn between the 590 and 700. I live alone. Other than size and shape, the difference I'm interested in is the rear vents vs. the chimney. What works better? Is the auger better in the middle or on the side? If I go with the 590, I'd probably get the competition cart where by budget constraints, I couldn't add the comp cart.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been researching pellet grills for a while now and have checked out anything from camp chef to LG, yoder and Memphis. Many were out of my price point of $1,500.00. I'm a RT lean right now. I guess my biggest concerns about RT are smoke output/flavor and temp range as I want ability to reverse sear thick steaks and chops.

Assuming I go RT, I'm torn between the 590 and 700. I live alone. Other than size and shape, the difference I'm interested in is the rear vents vs. the chimney. What works better? Is the auger better in the middle or on the side? If I go with the 590, I'd probably get the competition cart where by budget constraints, I couldn't add the comp cart.

Thoughts?
Rec Tec is the smoker and the Bull is the unit. By far the best in all categories. ??

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been researching pellet grills for a while now and have checked out anything from camp chef to LG, smoke n hot, smokin brothers, yoder and Memphis. Many were out of my price point of $1,500.00. I'm a RT lean right now. I guess my biggest concerns about RT are smoke output/flavor and temp range as I want ability to reverse sear thick steaks and chops.

Thoughts?
There both great grills for different reasons, my thoughts are go big and you wouldn't regret it.

There's many folks who love their 590 and 700 here for sure. It comes down to personal preference of course. I could have gotten away with the 590 but I went with the 700 (Bull) for many reasons. I personally didn't like the smoke vents on the 590. I was concerned with rain getting in there while cooking you can buy "vent extensions" but why when the Bull has a covered stack not to mention it just looks better? The 40lb hopper mounted in the rear is also a nice option to me, I'm a lazy BBQ'er and like to fill the hopper as little as possible. You also have the option of the smoke box add on to keep things warm/low temp smoking, etc. In the end you won't be disappointed in either, in my choice it all came down to slightly bigger size, more options available over the 590 and overall appearance. I may not need, want or use all of those options but it sure is nice to have them if I do, or change my mind. The warranty is also the longest at 6 years and Rec Tec's customer service is legendary in the industry. That's very important to me. As for the extra $300 in cost that is substantial, but over the lifetime of a grill and for the amount I use mine I figured the extra cash was a non-issue. Which ever one you choose, you'll be real happy with it and you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
There's many folks who love their 590 and 700 here for sure. It comes down to personal preference of course. I could have gotten away with the 590 but I went with the 700 (Bull) for many reasons. I personally didn't like the smoke vents on the 590. I was concerned with rain getting in there while cooking you can buy "vent extensions" but why when the Bull has a covered stack not to mention it just looks better? The 40lb hopper mounted in the rear is also a nice option to me, I'm a lazy BBQ'er and like to fill the hopper as little as possible. You also have the option of the smoke box add on to keep things warm/low temp smoking, etc. In the end you won't be disappointed in either, in my choice it all came down to slightly bigger size, more options available over the 590 and overall appearance. I may not need, want or use all of those options but it sure is nice to have them if I do, or change my mind. The warranty is also the longest at 6 years and Rec Tec's customer service is legendary in the industry. That's very important to me. As for the extra $300 in cost that is substantial, but over the lifetime of a grill and for the amount I use mine I figured the extra cash was a non-issue. Which ever one you choose, you'll be real happy with it and you can't go wrong.
Tell 'em, greenie. ??

The OP mentions concerns about strength of smoke flavor and range of temp to sear. I don't know if any pellet grill of any brand has magic answers to all of that. They all have a different smoke profile than stick burners - and yet give good smoke. They all don't get as hot as gas or charcoal - and yet they can be made to sear.

There are add-ons like smoke tubes and sear grates to help if you find they're needed. Some other brands also try things like a sliding opening for the diffuser or bolt-on gas grills. For my own needs, the RT-700 has been a good choice so far. I also went into things knowing what it is and isn't - wasn't expecting it to be a perfect replacement for multiple other types of cookers.

The OP mentions concerns about strength of smoke flavor and range of temp to sear. I don't know if any pellet grill of any brand has magic answers to all of that. They all have a different smoke profile than stick burners - and yet give good smoke. They all don't get as hot as gas or charcoal - and yet they can be made to sear.

There are add-ons like smoke tubes and sear grates to help, and some other brands try things like sliding opening for the diffuser or bolt-on gas grills. For my own needs, the RT-700 has been a good choice so far. I also went into things knowing what it is and isn't - wasn't expecting it to be a perfect replacement for multiple other types of cookers.
NEVER pick up the smoke tube when lit, with your bare hands ? :)??

There are add-ons like smoke tubes and sear grates to help if you find they're needed. Some other brands also try things like a sliding opening for the diffuser or bolt-on gas grills. For my own needs, the RT-700 has been a good choice so far. I also went into things knowing what it is and isn't - wasn't expecting it to be a perfect replacement for multiple other types of cookers.
There's no one perfect replacement grill/smoker that can do everything alright, I found that out. With that said however, the Bull comes closer to that than any other numerous pieces of equipment I've owned in the past or currently own now. The smoke flavor that I get in my food is just right for my families taste and mine without any additional smoke generation.

Just a couple cautionary comments that you may have already thought of. First, how much smoke flavor is just right? You'll get lots of opinions one way or the other, but when it comes down to it, you have no idea of that persons tastes in comparison to yours. There's no standard measure for smoke level to compare by. Pretty much the same with the sear. What is your ideal sear? Do you believe pretty stripes are the jamb, or a solid, thick, almost hard crust all over? Again, you'll get well meaning comments like "Grill Grates give the best sear ever." Yeah they do what they do, and well, but is it to your standards? Figuring out other people's standards can resemble work.

There's no one perfect replacement grill/smoker that can do everything alright, I found that out. With that said however, the Bull comes closer to that than any other numerous pieces of equipment I've owned in the past or currently own now. The smoke flavor that I get in my food is just right for my families taste and mine without any additional smoke generation.

Agree. Frankly, a large charcoal, covered, grill, like a kettle or komado, can produce a better product as a "do everything" cooker. But they are more work and require more learned skills. While I enjoy the "dial-a-temp" ease of a pellet grill, it will not replace my other outdoor cookers, but rather compliment them. For my uses, these pellet grills shine as smokers/roasters. I have other cookers that do other types of cooking that I prefer. For example, the classic steak I can get results I much prefer on my komado or a kettle, probably in less time, start to finish, than I can cook it on my Bull and not get exactly what I prefer.

Last edited:
Just a couple cautionary comments that you may have already thought of. First, how much smoke flavor is just right? You'll get lots of opinions one way or the other, but when it comes down to it, you have no idea of that persons tastes in comparison to yours. There's no standard measure for smoke level to compare by. Pretty much the same with the sear. What is your ideal sear? Do you believe pretty stripes are the jamb, or a solid, thick, almost hard crust all over? Again, you'll get well meaning comments like "Grill Grates give the best sear ever." Yeah they do what they do, and well, but is it to your standards? Figuring out other people's standards can resemble work.

UB,
you so often hit the mark with my thoughts on both smoke and sear. I"ll throw in another factor or two. Are you seeking ease of use to an acceptable (your standards) product? ...are you seeking to learn how to make a better product (again to your standards)? ...or are you seeking to learn an art?

I went nutso on some meats. I spent so much time developing methods to get results I wanted on various meats, that I could be called obsessive. But I can make some meats that I really love (and family, friends, & neighbors, but they get what I give em and like it :p ). But I've also made mountains of stuff that was not so good or worse. ? The curse is that it makes seeking restaurants to enjoy these meats that much harder. LOL

For the obsessive, just learning (and enjoying) what high standards are for a particular food is a memorable journey (think BBQ Crawl).

Last edited:

thank you for taking the time to respond. I think I agree with you. I was going to order last night and the 20% discount on accessories was gone. That's an $80 difference on the cart alone and now even the cover is out of stock.

thank you for taking the time to respond. I think I agree with you. I was going to order last night and the 20% discount on accessories was gone. That's an $80 difference on the cart alone and now even the cover is out of stock.
Call RecTec and order it directly from them it will all work out

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back