RT590 leaking grease onto deck

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I've had my 590 for a couple months now, and loving it. However, today I smoked a couple chickens and the greased splattered on the inside of the lid and the grease accumulated and dripped out and down onto the patio--quite a bit of it. Not cool. The lid seems to shut tight, so I was surprised. Anybody else dealing with this? If so, what'd you do? Thanks.

I've had my 590 for a couple months now, and loving it. However, today I smoked a couple chickens and the greased splattered on the inside of the lid and the grease accumulated and dripped out and down onto the patio--quite a bit of it. Not cool. The lid seems to shut tight, so I was surprised. Anybody else dealing with this? If so, what'd you do? Thanks.
Are you sure it was leaking off the lid?, Would take a lot of lid splatter. I have written about a leak elsewhere on this thread. It was when I first did a bacon cook to break in the 590.
1. My grill was not on a level area. It was low on the back side.
2. Oil from the bacon ran by gravity down the rods to the back support for the grates, then down the support to the lowest edge where it then ran down the back, right inside and puddled in the right posterior bottom area. The seams inside are caulked with red high temp sealant. But the rivets that hold the end pieces onto the sides are not caulked. Simple==the oil leaked through the rivet holes (around the rivets) and out onto the ground behind the 590.
3. I did a complete solvent clean of the rivets and the holes they come through, and then caulked with high temp sealant. Around both ends inside. NO MORE LEAKS!
4. BUT I also found a level place on the porch for all future cooks, since oil and grease still would drain to a low side and then into the bottom of the pit and could start grease fires down there. Now most of the grease drips off over the drip pan and is either vaporized or drains into the drain bucket.
Not sure if that could have been your problem. I notified RT about it and suggested that they use sealant in the rivet holes--for which they said thanks for the input and gave me a $50 credit for accessories.
eGeS56Hl.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back