Remote Start Regulation

Well as I sit here on a cold gloomy Ohio day, feeling the full affects of cabin fever do I dare mention that removing my grille remote start feature is just the government taking my guns away!.......wait for it!....wait for it!. Aaaah I'm just funning about of course...no way I want that nonsense brought into this topic. Smoke on ya'll just with a bit less automation lol

Well as I sit here on a cold gloomy Ohio day, feeling the full affects of cabin fever do I dare mention that removing my grille remote start feature is just the government taking my guns away!.......wait for it!....wait for it!. Aaaah I'm just funning about of course...no way I want that nonsense brought into this topic. Smoke on ya'll just with a bit less automation lol
I would jump on that in an instant, but seeing I lost em all in a boating incident I guess it’s really not pertinent to me.

Haha.. What i really want to do now is to be able to start my grill with my gun.... Oh sure-- now they are probably going to say thats tooo dangerous too... BOOOOOOOOOO...

Just because a conspiracy theory gets repeated ad infinitum doesn’t mean it becomes “truth!”

We’ll just have to agree to disagree!

I for one am getting sick and tired of being right about more than a few things that some thought I was crazy for believing or prepping for, have even had more than a few of my naysayer friends tell me "damn, you were right Burton". The issue at hand is really this instead........"when lies and deception gets repeated ad infinitum, doesn't mean it becomes truth". So yeah, lets agree to disagree. Now I will insert your favorite smiley you use in most your posts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am heading out to ride my motorcycle all day, time for some 2 wheeled mental health!!!

Shelly x1 is in the house.. Will wait to see Eki's explanation on the right way to install this.. But 'HOPING" i can install this and then just have my girl alexa start the grill for me... Then i can be even lazier.. I wont even have to reach down and pick up my phone and press a button.. That is sooooo 2023.. Now i can just sit on the couch-- eat bon bons and call out to my girl--- 'ALEXA--- START THE GRILL, CHOP CHOP"...... Yeah baby--- 2024 son... !!!

The only reason I bought the Bull in 2018 was the remote start, RT just lost a customer!

i am waiting for time this weekend to tear down the grill. In the mean time, if you got the shelly, get the cos on how to hook it up, be careful, then install it on your local wifi, then get the app and add it, and then if you want alexa, add the shelly skill to the alexa skills. After than you can practice saying"Alexa turn grill on" :)

Joined the group due to this issue and potential solution. Love how quickly people are trying to find a way to bring back the remote start I'm already missing. I'm highly interested in doing this to my RT700, so I look forward to seeing how you get this working. I have a question, though. Is there a reason to go with the Shelly 1 over the newer Shelly Plus 1? The reason I ask is because of my next thought.

Once I see how this is going to connect, I'm wondering how the Shelly will... attach. Just hanging? Zip ties? I'm thinking that a 3D printed part might possibly be an alternative and I'd be willing to model and iterate on it until we have a good design. This may not even be necessary, but it already crossed my 3D-printer-oriented mind. If it does seem necessary or preferred by some, to avoid designing a part for multiple Shelly models, I'd want to settle on one. Now, I'm not sure if we'd be looking at something to screw into the shelf, attach to the board's screws, maybe with standoffs, or what. I simply won't know until I have mine attached and take a look at it. Hell, it might not even be feasible. If it is, however, I'll also then be printing them for sale, since I know not everyone owns a 3D printer.

Lastly, does anyone know if the electronic boards are the same across multiple models? I only own the RT700, so I won't be able to model one for grills that don't use the same board, mounts, and clearances.

Joined the group due to this issue and potential solution. Love how quickly people are trying to find a way to bring back the remote start I'm already missing. I'm highly interested in doing this to my RT700, so I look forward to seeing how you get this working. I have a question, though. Is there a reason to go with the Shelly 1 over the newer Shelly Plus 1? The reason I ask is because of my next thought.

Once I see how this is going to connect, I'm wondering how the Shelly will... attach. Just hanging? Zip ties? I'm thinking that a 3D printed part might possibly be an alternative and I'd be willing to model and iterate on it until we have a good design. This may not even be necessary, but it already crossed my 3D-printer-oriented mind. If it does seem necessary or preferred by some, to avoid designing a part for multiple Shelly models, I'd want to settle on one. Now, I'm not sure if we'd be looking at something to screw into the shelf, attach to the board's screws, maybe with standoffs, or what. I simply won't know until I have mine attached and take a look at it. Hell, it might not even be feasible. If it is, however, I'll also then be printing them for sale, since I know not everyone owns a 3D printer.

Lastly, does anyone know if the electronic boards are the same across multiple models? I only own the RT700, so I won't be able to model one for grills that don't use the same board, mounts, and clearances.
I love the idea of a 3D printed mount :) I have not peeked inside yet, so not sure what is needed. I certainly was planning on just zip tying inside the enclosure because the shelly is not weather proof, and the wire connection screws are somewhat out in the open.

To pre-configure the relay all you need is something like the attached test harness and then install the software on your phone

test.jpg

Step 2 to prepare, install the software from shelly -- you want to end up with something like this

Screenshot.jpeg

Step three (optional) if you use alexa and want voice command, link the shelly skill to your alexa as below. This will allow you to tell Alexa, "turn grill on"

Screenshot skill.jpeg

Final preparation step. If you went through all of that successfully, you should be able to hit the button in the shelly app and listen to the relay open/close in the shelly. Also, test utterance "Alex turn grill on" should also control the relay.

One step I omitted by mistake, you should configure the shelly switch settings in the shelly app. Click the timer icon, and select "Auto-off" and change 30 to 2. This will configure the switch to be a momentary push button. the relay is just a momentary trigger and does not reflect the state of the grill.

interesting, but I think we dont want this relay visible or accessible. I think it needs to be tucked away inside the enclosure where it is safe from weather and fingers
I assume it's being placed behind the control panel, out of sight.
I have a 1070 - there is no weatherproof/waterproof location, which is why I suggested puttying over all the contacts and openings with the sugru.

I assume it's being placed behind the control panel, out of sight.
I have a 1070 - there is no weatherproof/waterproof location, which is why I suggested puttying over all the contacts and openings with the sugru.
OH yeah the 1070 ---- I want one of those :) .... Only you would know, but I believe there has to be room behind the control panel to tuck the relay, it is only the size of a small match box. You are going to have to disassemble part of the grill to get access to the control board for the relay. On my grill, there is lots of room under there. But, if not, maybe a 3D printed enclosure would be better ;)

OH yeah the 1070 ---- I want one of those :) .... Only you would know, but I believe there has to be room behind the control panel to tuck the relay, it is only the size of a small match box. You are going to have to disassemble part of the grill to get access to the control board for the relay. On my grill, there is lots of room under there. But, if not, maybe a 3D printed enclosure would be better ;)
Lots of empty space inside the 1070 enclosure - I've had it apart plenty of times. I'm going to try the TUYA Smart Life app first, because either way I need an app on my phone. And I don't talk to any of my appliances/electronics because the whole idea of it creeps me out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back