Possible remote start work around - USE AT YOUR OWN RSK

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
ADMIN MESSAGE: This has been un-tested and un-verified, but this is most likely a terrible idea to follow the "workaround" mentioned below. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Following the steps below, or similar steps, would be using a side-app that is NOT designed for RecTeq or even grilling purposed in ANY form - solely to turn on a grill.

RecTeqForum (and I can probably safely assume RecTeq as well) DOES NOT RECOMMEND OR ENDORSE the below message.

Ok , this is a *USE AT YOUR OWN RISK* post. I am not affiliated with this person in anyway or the app involved. Im just sharing info. It is a remote start solution that was posted. I take no responsibility for anything YOU may screw up.
From Brad L.
Screenshot_20240229-171901.png
Screenshot_20240229-172503.png
Screenshot_20240229-172523.png
Screenshot_20240229-172544.png

From Brad L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, but no aftermarket work around for option for me. I rarely used the remote "on" feature but do use the remote "off" feature quite often, the issue for me in all of this are whatever the real reasons for doing such is.

Thanks for posting this, but no aftermarket work around for option for me. I rarely used the remote "on" feature but do use the remote "off" feature quite often, the issue for me in all of this are whatever the real reasons for doing such is.
I can see being kicked off the official board if this bypasses the need for recteq servers.

While I have no issue with users discussing the remote power on feature being removed and the wide range of reasons and speculation as to why. This particular thread has me very torn.

This "suggestion" or "work around" is using a 3rd party app that was essentially designed to work with turn on/off light bulbs and working with Google Home and Amazon Echo's.

A MASSIVE difference when compared to grills that you are literally starting and stopping fires.

While we try to allow as much open discussion, to the possible likes or dislikes of some people(s), I don't believe this is the best of info and while I'm not removing the thread (at least not yet) - I have added a very clear message to the first post to warn anyone reading the thread that this is not recommended and risky.

While I have no issue with users discussing the remote power on feature being removed and the wide range of reasons and speculation as to why. This particular thread has me very torn.

This "suggestion" or "work around" is using a 3rd party app that was essentially designed to work with turn on/off light bulbs and working with Google Home and Amazon Echo's.

A MASSIVE difference when compared to grills that you are literally starting and stopping fires.

While we try to allow as much open discussion, to the possible likes or dislikes of some people(s), I don't believe this is the best of info and while I'm not removing the thread (at least not yet) - I have added a very clear message to the first post to warn anyone reading the thread that this is not recommended and risky.
@Mike feel free to delete it....others on Social Media have said it works, just a Wifi Controller.... But I see the concern. No problem at all if its gone.

Mike,

Thanks for weighing in on this topic and for showing patience to those of us that make your job very difficult. You are the epitome of a true professional and demonstrate that by letting us vent and discuss issues where many other sites would try to harness our energy and commentary. I applaud you.

ADMIN MESSAGE: This has been un-tested and un-verified, but this is most likely a terrible idea to follow the "workaround" mentioned below. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Following the steps below, or similar steps, would be using a side-app that is NOT designed for RecTeq or even grilling purposed in ANY form - solely to turn on a grill.

RecTeqForum (and I can probably safely assume RecTeq as well) DOES NOT RECOMMEND OR ENDORSE the below message.

Ok , this is a *USE AT YOUR OWN RISK* post. I am not affiliated with this person in anyway or the app involved. Im just sharing info. It is a remote start solution that was posted. I take no responsibility for anything YOU may screw up.
From Brad L.
View attachment 21375View attachment 21376View attachment 21377View attachment 21378

From Brad L.
Lots of folks use this approach in the HomeAssistant ecosystem. It's really nice to be able to have the grill controls on my dashboards in the house. I however never have used the RecTeq remote start. I physically go and check the grill, and press the On button and make sure everything is as it should be.
Just like i could add capability to start my gas fireplace with my smart house, I dont for the same reason RecTeq is disabling the 'feature.

Many of us had the probe alert issue even with the official app. ;)

Edit: You can also IFTTT the Smart Life app, to tell you when grill temps are achieved.
Which IFTTT needs to be used or did you create a custom one?

From Brad L.
View attachment 21375View attachment 21376View attachment 21377View attachment 21378

From Brad L.
Someone may opening themselves up to a liability.

Someone may opening themselves up to a liability.

I wouldn't have said anything like that at all.......just "use at your own risk". The product and device was designed to do such a thing, so I would imagine that most liability would fall on the company and not consumers. More people will die or get seriously injured today in a car accident, than any injury/deaths/destruction due to this app. We need to collectively be fighting/pushing back against frivolous lawsuits, so many these days are scared of their own shadow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back