Recteq app—go figure!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I had some free time this afternoon, so I deleted the old RT app (I do think it was the current version) and downloaded it again. Tried connecting the RT-340 and still no luck. I have my Comcast/Xfinity dual-band router split so I have a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz access separately. Out of pure frustration, I switched to the 5 GHz router (and switched my phone to the 5 GHz access) and tried connecting. You guessed it; the RT app connected right up. And, I have a 2-year-old 340 with the single-band, supposedly 2.4 GHz only controller. What the heck is going on?

I am suspecting that when you split the router, the 2.4 GHz is still visible in the 5 GHz version. The miracles of technology! This is the first time in about 2 years that I have been able to connect the 340 to the app. We’ll see how long this lasts.

After using the ThermoWorks Signals successfully for nearly two years, I have to say that even though I finally got the RT-340 connected, I find the app to be really clunky. I guess it is good to know that I can now connect, but I probably won't use the RT app very much. Oh well.

After using the ThermoWorks Signals successfully for nearly two years, I have to say that even though I finally got the RT-340 connected, I find the app to be really clunky. I guess it is good to know that I can now connect, but I probably won't use the RT app very much. Oh well.
Glad you got it working. I only use their app for control not monitoring. I haven’t had as many disconnects as I see discussed on this forum but it only takes one to rock your confidence. I also use the Thermoworks and a few others. By the time I finish running probes, you’d think I was trying to jump start Dr. Frankenstein‘s monster. lol.

By the time I finish running probes, you’d think I was trying to jump start Dr. Frankenstein‘s monster.
That’s why I just bought a couple of the Combustion Inc wireless probes; no rat’s nests. Still getting them figured out. Sure wish TW would come up with a wireless probe/receiver that would plug into the Signals. Now, THAT would be a great tool!

The app will not stay connected to my 1250 either, so like SmokeZilla, I only use the app to change temps as I just can't keep it connected. I have had great luck using my Meater probes, so that has become my go-to replacement for the RT probes.

I don't have any issues with the RT app disconnecting anymore, although the app itself is still not quite as functional as I would hope. I also have ThermoWorks, Inkbird and Meater devices with no issues disconnecting those either. Due to having so many home automation devices, security system and security cameras, quite a few on WiFi, I upgraded our WiFi to a mesh network (Google Fiber WiFi 6 mesh router / Linksys Tri-Band Velop, separate 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz SSID's), with quite a number of nodes around the house, some wired and some wireless. I used a WiFi analyzer phone app to determine node placement. Since then, WiFi coverage is more than adequate all around the house including the patio, deck and yard.

I don't have any issues with the RT app disconnecting anymore, although the app itself is still not quite as functional as I would hope. I also have ThermoWorks, Inkbird and Meater devices with no issues disconnecting those either. Due to having so many home automation devices, security system and security cameras, quite a few on WiFi, I upgraded our WiFi to a mesh network (Google Fiber WiFi 6 mesh router / Linksys Tri-Band Velop, separate 2.4GHz & 5.0GHz SSID's), with quite a number of nodes around the house, some wired and some wireless. I used a WiFi analyzer phone app to determine node placement. Since then, WiFi coverage is more than adequate all around the house including the patio, deck and yard.
MarkM,
I like your approach. I also map signals in and around my house. The good news is that I generate a signal that can be picked up from over a 1/2 mile and I am sure it causes grief for my neighbors, but not for me. I use Ubiquiti equipment exclusively for my primary node and for fall forward/ fall back capabilities use a firewalled secondary node (also using Ubiquiti). I currently have 6 APs (2 of which are beam forming, broadcast capable). I am also one of those freaks that could probably self-certify that I meet the construct of NIST 800-171. The issue for me isn‘t connectivity with my network but the seemingly random disconnects between my grill and RecTeq’s servers. For most cooks, it works flawlessly. However, I have had several cooks between 9-19 hours where reliability of data transmission becomes a concern. It was once widely known that server capacity is limited on RT’s side of the fence and I am hopeful they have reviewed their protocols (especially during peak holidays and events) to fix their problems. In summary, all it takes is losing a cooking profile for a long cook a few times to wreak havoc on any confidence you have in the device’s capabilities.

MarkM,
I like your approach. I also map signals in and around my house. The good news is that I generate a signal that can be picked up from over a 1/2 mile and I am sure it causes grief for my neighbors, but not for me. I use Ubiquiti equipment exclusively for my primary node and for fall forward/ fall back capabilities use a firewalled secondary node (also using Ubiquiti). I currently have 6 APs (2 of which are beam forming, broadcast capable). I am also one of those freaks that could probably self-certify that I meet the construct of NIST 800-171. The issue for me isn‘t connectivity with my network but the seemingly random disconnects between my grill and RecTeq’s servers. For most cooks, it works flawlessly. However, I have had several cooks between 9-19 hours where reliability of data transmission becomes a concern. It was once widely known that server capacity is limited on RT’s side of the fence and I am hopeful they have reviewed their protocols (especially during peak holidays and events) to fix their problems. In summary, all it takes is losing a cooking profile for a long cook a few times to wreak havoc on any confidence you have in the device’s capabilities.
Similar experience, now retired. Chemical manufacturing, electrical engineering, server/network administration and programming. 15 AP's, all beam forming. I don't normally have connection issues anymore with the RT app, although I've entered complaints with RecTeq for years now about their their inability to display a cooking profile that's more than a few hours long. I still have a connection, but the data is gone if it's more than a few hours long and then just starts over. That's why I have ThermoWorks and Inkbird devices that I primarily rely on. It's incredible this problem has existed for years and they don't ever fix it. I haven't had a long cook in the last month, so it's possible they fixed it with the last update. Probably not.

Well, here we go again. The app connected—reluctantly—this evening, but but drops out every time I get more than about 10’ away from the grill. Periodically, it reconnects when I’m not nearby, then drops out again. And, when I say “not nearby,” I mean about 25’ away and in direct line of sight to both the grill and router.

I‘m using my Combustion Inc wireless probes on this cook (simple boneless pork chops) and it is rock solid on the same router. Like I said, “Go figure.”

Well, here we go again. The app connected—reluctantly—this evening, but but drops out every time I get more than about 10’ away from the grill. Periodically, it reconnects when I’m not nearby, then drops out again. And, when I say “not nearby,” I mean about 25’ away and in direct line of sight to both the grill and router.

I‘m using my Combustion Inc wireless probes on this cook (simple boneless pork chops) and it is rock solid on the same router. Like I said, “Go figure.”
It's odd that you are having this kind of connection problem. WiFi traffic goes through the access point, not direct device-to-device unless you have some unusual and specific configuration set up (such as a mesh network?).

Thus, I'm left to consider these possibilities:
1. You're actually connecting to your Recteq via Bluetooth, not WiFi. If so, distance from the grill will matter. But -- do any Recteq grills use Bluetooth? Test: Can you connect to the grill if you turn Bluetooth OFF on your phone?
2. Your grill (and the area immediately around it) is in a spot with good connectivity to your wireless (WiFi) router, but when you move that ten feet away, you're getting to a spot that's got poor connectivity, and thus you lose the ap. Adjusting your access point's antennae may help you get better coverage of that area.
3. You've got someone else nearby that has a WiFi setup that's causing interference with your signal when you move into that ten-feet-away area. Changing the channel your WiFi router/access point uses may clear this up. See the article at https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/ho...nnel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/
4. Your phone or grill are sending a WiFi signal that isn't 'clean' and causing interference somehow. Does a different phone connect without problems in the 'dead' area? Other than that simple test, I'd think you'd need some specialized network diagnostic equipment to suss out this being the problem.

It's odd that you are having this kind of connection problem. WiFi traffic goes through the access point, not direct device-to-device unless you have some unusual and specific configuration set up (such as a mesh network?).

Thus, I'm left to consider these possibilities:
1. You're actually connecting to your Recteq via Bluetooth, not WiFi. If so, distance from the grill will matter. But -- do any Recteq grills use Bluetooth? Test: Can you connect to the grill if you turn Bluetooth OFF on your phone?
2. Your grill (and the area immediately around it) is in a spot with good connectivity to your wireless (WiFi) router, but when you move that ten feet away, you're getting to a spot that's got poor connectivity, and thus you lose the ap. Adjusting your access point's antennae may help you get better coverage of that area.
3. You've got someone else nearby that has a WiFi setup that's causing interference with your signal when you move into that ten-feet-away area. Changing the channel your WiFi router/access point uses may clear this up. See the article at https://www.howtogeek.com/197268/ho...nnel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/
4. Your phone or grill are sending a WiFi signal that isn't 'clean' and causing interference somehow. Does a different phone connect without problems in the 'dead' area? Other than that simple test, I'd think you'd need some specialized network diagnostic equipment to suss out this being the problem.
Thanks for taking the time to reply; I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I think I have been down most of those roads without success.

First, I don’t believe a Bluetooth connection is possible with the Recteq grills. That’s one of the first things I thought of, but my research says RT uses only 2.4/5 GHz wifi (my grill is the older 2.4 GHz-only version). If this is not correct, please point me in the right direction.

As for connectivity, the grill is 25-30’ from the router; direct line of sight. All my other devices (ThermoWorks Signals, Combustion Inc Predictive Thermometer, iPad, etc. have no difficulty connecting, and staying connected.

I will look into changing the channel as you suggest, but with all my other devices connecting effortlessly, and staying connected, I don’t know why the Recteq would been a different channel.

My iPad has the RT app installed, but I rarely use it. I’ll give that a try to see if the issue is phone specific.

I’m thinking that the controller board’s wifi circuit is somehow flaky and causing the problem. I’ve pretty well given up trying to make the grill work remotely. I can push the power button and rotate the temp selection knob. My other thermometers keep me well-informed regarding the cook.

It was just that after two years, I finally got it to connect and stay connected for a couple of weeks. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Again, thanks for the input.

First, I don’t believe a Bluetooth connection is possible with the Recteq grills.
Correct. The recteq app and the recteq grills never connect one-to-one regardless of the connection. They both need a WiFi connection/internet access to communicate with one another.

Thanks for taking the time to reply; I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I think I have been down most of those roads without success.

First, I don’t believe a Bluetooth connection is possible with the Recteq grills. That’s one of the first things I thought of, but my research says RT uses only 2.4/5 GHz wifi (my grill is the older 2.4 GHz-only version). If this is not correct, please point me in the right direction.

As for connectivity, the grill is 25-30’ from the router; direct line of sight. All my other devices (ThermoWorks Signals, Combustion Inc Predictive Thermometer, iPad, etc. have no difficulty connecting, and staying connected.

I will look into changing the channel as you suggest, but with all my other devices connecting effortlessly, and staying connected, I don’t know why the Recteq would been a different channel.

My iPad has the RT app installed, but I rarely use it. I’ll give that a try to see if the issue is phone specific.

I’m thinking that the controller board’s wifi circuit is somehow flaky and causing the problem. I’ve pretty well given up trying to make the grill work remotely. I can push the power button and rotate the temp selection knob. My other thermometers keep me well-informed regarding the cook.

It was just that after two years, I finally got it to connect and stay connected for a couple of weeks. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Again, thanks for the input.
Jim, You have done a stellar job narrowing down the possibilities. Have you checked your router to see if it is in auto select mode for the channel. Your symptoms seem to indicate that the selected channel(s) may be saturated with conflicting signals. As a suggestion, do a quick site survey to see what other devices are broadcasting. Especially your neighbors if they are in close proximity. I recommend you do the survey at your grill’s location and work your way back to your router. Look for any spurious signals or signal drop-outs near your walls. If anything is close to the channel selected on your router, pick something at the opposite end of the frequency spectrum or at least 3 “channel jumps” away from the highest item’s signal strength. I have seen similar issues with people that have the rented ISP provided equipment and they use it for wifi instead of an independent router with its own wifi. Especially for Spectrum. Their router’s transmitters are set up so your neighbors can also piggy back on your wifi for their cell phone communications (think VOIP) which is a pain to diagnose. For set up purposes, I would start with the 2.4 ghz ranges as they tend to work over longer distances and you aren’t pushing any limits transmitting your cooking data. Once you find a good channel/signal, turn on the lights in the room where you have your router and if they have a dimmer switch, put it at half brightness (that typically generates the most RF noise). Then, turn on the microwave oven and any ceiling pot lights and see if the signal drops out again. I have a gut feeling you may be picking up too many conflicting/stray signals and they are stomping all over your transmission especially since the antennas on most smokers are not very strong. Another method that is quicker for a test is to move the grill closer to the router and see if it holds a signal. My house was built in the late 60’s and they were using metal wire in the drywall. This turns my house into a giant faraday cage so signal penetration is lousy at best. To overcome this challenge I have Ubiquiti Long Range access points all over my property. I get 98% full signal at 1/2 mile from my house. The neighbors hate me but I am a happy camper, lol. Heck, you may be one of my neighbors and I am blocking your signal also. Hehe.

One final thought if you have unlimited data on your cell phone. Connect your grill using it as a hotspot (which means you will need to be fairly close to your grill) and see if the signal remains strong and connected. That would allow you to isolate the issue before you do all the stuff I listed above.

I apologize for the rambling. Let us know what you find out. Also, if you give us a description of your layout we may be able to provide additional input.

Last edited:
I have never had connection issues; however I hate that there is no option in the app to change the alert tones and to make them continuous until I silence them. :(

I am having the same problem. Started about 3-months ago - prior to that I had no problems staying connected. I just gave up and now use my Meater probes without any drops.

Jim, You have done a stellar job narrowing down the possibilities. Have you checked your router to see if it is in auto select mode for the channel. Your symptoms seem to indicate that the selected channel(s) may be saturated with conflicting signals. As a suggestion, do a quick site survey to see what other devices are broadcasting. Especially your neighbors if they are in close proximity. I recommend you do the survey at your grill’s location and work your way back to your router. Look for any spurious signals or signal drop-outs near your walls. If anything is close to the channel selected on your router, pick something at the opposite end of the frequency spectrum or at least 3 “channel jumps” away from the highest item’s signal strength. I have seen similar issues with people that have the rented ISP provided equipment and they use it for wifi instead of an independent router with its own wifi. Especially for Spectrum. Their router’s transmitters are set up so your neighbors can also piggy back on your wifi for their cell phone communications (think VOIP) which is a pain to diagnose. For set up purposes, I would start with the 2.4 ghz ranges as they tend to work over longer distances and you aren’t pushing any limits transmitting your cooking data. Once you find a good channel/signal, turn on the lights in the room where you have your router and if they have a dimmer switch, put it at half brightness (that typically generates the most RF noise). Then, turn on the microwave oven and any ceiling pot lights and see if the signal drops out again. I have a gut feeling you may be picking up too many conflicting/stray signals and they are stomping all over your transmission especially since the antennas on most smokers are not very strong. Another method that is quicker for a test is to move the grill closer to the router and see if it holds a signal. My house was built in the late 60’s and they were using metal wire in the drywall. This turns my house into a giant faraday cage so signal penetration is lousy at best. To overcome this challenge I have Ubiquiti Long Range access points all over my property. I get 98% full signal at 1/2 mile from my house. The neighbors hate me but I am a happy camper, lol. Heck, you may be one of my neighbors and I am blocking your signal also. Hehe.

One final thought if you have unlimited data on your cell phone. Connect your grill using it as a hotspot (which means you will need to be fairly close to your grill) and see if the signal remains strong and connected. That would allow you to isolate the issue before you do all the stuff I listed above.

I apologize for the rambling. Let us know what you find out. Also, if you give us a description of your layout we may be able to provide additional input.
Thanks, @SmokeZilla, for the detailed information. We are at the old house for a couple of days, so won’t be able to do anything more with the 340 until we get back home.

Interestingly enough, however, we’ve had the same issues at both houses with different neighbors/wireless networks and different housing densities. The old house was out in the country with the closest neighbor a couple hundred feet away and only a half-dozen neighbors within a half mile. The new house is in a conventional city neighborhood where I see a lot more networks.

When I get back, I will try the channel and other trouble-shooting suggestions. I have been considering ditching my Comcast-provided cable modem/router and buying my own high-end unit. My son has been encouraging me to do that—he has done it as both he and his wife work remotely from home—and this may be the time to do it. I will also be moving the old Apple AirPort router this weekend to the new house, so may try connecting to it instead.

My final thought on this is that a purchaser of a Recteq pellet grill should not have to be a network engineer in order to use it’s features. :rolleyes:

MarkM,
I sure hope you have secured your router(s) sufficiently if your Wi-Fi can be seen 1/2 mile away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back