Bull Question to those who use Bull as oven....

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
This morning I made some breakfast and smoked the sausage and gravy on my Bullseye. When I went to get the biscuits out of the oven, I wondered if they would taste "weird/off" if I had instead done them on the Bull. Oven instructions were 375 for 22 mins.

I know that the smoke level/flavor is greatly diminished at that high of heat but curious what others have with regard to using the Bull as an oven? Like could you even do chocolate chip cookies or other things that you may not want smoke flavor added?

E9764A1C-0F57-41E2-AB87-6F9C69F302F6.jpeg

This morning I made some breakfast and smoked the sausage and gravy on my Bullseye. When I went to get the biscuits out of the oven, I wondered if they would taste "weird/off" if I had instead done them on the Bull. Oven instructions were 375 for 22 mins. I know that the smoke level/flavor is greatly diminished at that high of heat but curious what others have with regard to using the Bull as an oven? Like could you even do chocolate chip cookies or other things that you may not want smoke flavor added?
Bull is great for brownies.

Wife's chocolate chip cookie recipe in a cast iron skillet, baked on my RT-590. I think I used a lower temp to start to try to get a bit of a smoky flavor, but of course you wouldn't have to. Delicious big ol' cookie.

Attachments

• 7BDCF6BA-1896-48A3-BABB-6066294ABEB5.jpeg
    7BDCF6BA-1896-48A3-BABB-6066294ABEB5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • 5536CD33-B307-4BC8-96E9-39E37A8D8D4B.jpeg
    5536CD33-B307-4BC8-96E9-39E37A8D8D4B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • F7736287-A0BB-4EFD-9649-C9365AB9006C.jpeg
    F7736287-A0BB-4EFD-9649-C9365AB9006C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 97
  • 8F569EA5-81A9-4D73-836C-F76518B3425F.jpeg
    8F569EA5-81A9-4D73-836C-F76518B3425F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • 86BF99D1-D4DC-4F03-BAE4-714DD7BDA9C9.jpeg
    86BF99D1-D4DC-4F03-BAE4-714DD7BDA9C9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
Wife's chocolate chip cookie recipe in a cast iron skillet, baked on my RT-590. I think I used a lower temp to start to try to get a bit of a smoky flavor, but of course you wouldn't have to. Delicious big ol' cookie.
Is this a typical CC cookie recipe, or something unique?

This looks delicious. I am also curious about the recipe and how long and what temp you cook it for.

Is this a typical CC cookie recipe, or something unique?
Here's the chocolate chip cookie recipe my wife gave me. I don't think it's some family secret since she got it from the internet a while back (ha), but it sure is good. We added some more choc chips because, well, why not? It's great with ice cream, or would be perfect with icing for a kid's birthday.

The Ultimate Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 35 minutes
Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp, plus more for greasing skillet
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (optional)

Instructions
• Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
• In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
• In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar.
• Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed in, then add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
• Add the flour mixture into the stand mixer and mix just until the dough comes together then beat in the chocolate until combined.
• Scrape the dough into the skillet, then sprinkle it with the sea salt.
• Bake the cookie for 30 to 35 minutes until it’s barely cooked in the center.
• Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving topped with ice cream (optional).

Here's the chocolate chip cookie recipe my wife gave me. I don't think it's some family secret since she got it from the internet a while back (ha), but it sure is good. We added some more choc chips because, well, why not? It's great with ice cream, or would be perfect with icing for a kid's birthday.

Prep 10 minutes
Cook 35 minutes
Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups sugar

Instructions
• In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
• In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar.
• Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed in, then add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
• Add the flour mixture into the stand mixer and mix just until the dough comes together then beat in the chocolate until combined.
• Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving topped with ice cream (optional).
sharing is caring after all

Prep 10 minutes
Cook 35 minutes
Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups sugar

Instructions
Waiting...

Taste great right out of the bowl!

Attachments

• 20210803_194848.jpg
    20210803_194848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
If you have a clean drip pan you will get minimal smoke at higher temps. But... If you were in a hurry after your last drippy mess of a cook and drop something on at high temp, you will get smoked in grease flavoring. Don't ask how I know this. 🙄

If you have a clean drip pan you will get minimal smoke at higher temps. But... If you were in a hurry after your last drippy mess of a cook and drop something on at high temp, you will get smoked in grease flavoring. Don't ask how I know this. 🙄
Grease flavor not high on my list... 🤮

The previous and first smoke (ribs) ended followed by the temp cranking to 400° for 15 min to "let the smoke out" and dry everything up. Cookie came out with no discernable smoke.

Pulled cookie at 35 minutes and it could have used about 10 more. Grandkids loved it! Thanks for sharing, mannydog!

1628042565690.png

This morning I made some breakfast and smoked the sausage and gravy on my Bullseye. When I went to get the biscuits out of the oven, I wondered if they would taste "weird/off" if I had instead done them on the Bull. Oven instructions were 375 for 22 mins.

I know that the smoke level/flavor is greatly diminished at that high of heat but curious what others have with regard to using the Bull as an oven? Like could you even do chocolate chip cookies or other things that you may not want smoke flavor added?

View attachment 11922
I have been using the Bull as an oven for quite some time, from frozen pizza’s to flaky biscuits with no problems at all, except if I spilled something greasy on the drip tray.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back