Bull Question to those who use Bull as oven....

This morning I made some breakfast and smoked the sausage and gravy on my Bullseye. When I went to get the biscuits out of the oven, I wondered if they would taste "weird/off" if I had instead done them on the Bull. Oven instructions were 375 for 22 mins.

I know that the smoke level/flavor is greatly diminished at that high of heat but curious what others have with regard to using the Bull as an oven? Like could you even do chocolate chip cookies or other things that you may not want smoke flavor added?

Making biscuits on grill mats or tray is a great use of extra space while you're cooking other stuff. They come out great. Just have to adjust timing depending on temp.

Here's the chocolate chip cookie recipe my wife gave me. I don't think it's some family secret since she got it from the internet a while back (ha), but it sure is good. We added some more choc chips because, well, why not? It's great with ice cream, or would be perfect with icing for a kid's birthday.

The Ultimate Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 35 minutes
Yield 8 servings

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp, plus more for greasing skillet
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (optional)

Instructions
• Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with butter.
• In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
• In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter with the sugar and light brown sugar.
• Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed in, then add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
• Add the flour mixture into the stand mixer and mix just until the dough comes together then beat in the chocolate until combined.
• Scrape the dough into the skillet, then sprinkle it with the sea salt.
• Bake the cookie for 30 to 35 minutes until it’s barely cooked in the center.
• Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving topped with ice cream (optional).
Thank you to you and your wife, @Mannydog !
Enjoying this with some homemade vanilla ice cream…

Attachments

• 1BC9F9AF-D4BA-48C7-974F-AF83562A53CE.jpeg
    1BC9F9AF-D4BA-48C7-974F-AF83562A53CE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 1A9157CB-B0B9-45DD-B514-8CB1839BCF7F.jpeg
    1A9157CB-B0B9-45DD-B514-8CB1839BCF7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
I hate to keep beating the same drum, but I look for things to bake on the 590 instead of in the house. If we can keep any amount of heat outside, then we are winning against the Louisiana summer! Also, it holds temperature better than our internal oven. Pizza, cornbread, baked pasta, cinnamon-sugar-tortillas, rolls, biscuits, etc. Next will be that cookie from up above, thank you for that!!

I hate to keep beating the same drum, but I look for things to bake on the 590 instead of in the house. If we can keep any amount of heat outside, then we are winning against the Louisiana summer! Also, it holds temperature better than our internal oven. Pizza, cornbread, baked pasta, cinnamon-sugar-tortillas, rolls, biscuits, etc. Next will be that cookie from up above, thank you for that!!
My buddy swears by Papa Murphy's pizza. Specifically the Mediterranean, I assume bc it doesn't have red sauce so probably crisps up better.

Sorry this took so long ....

HOMEMADE (low carb / gluten “free”) SOURDOUGH BREAD
(For those how are gluten intolerant, be sure to test the bread for gluten.
For best “gluten free” results, add all the added rest times)

The Sourdough start is a fermented base filled with tiny probiotics. These tiny probiotics eat the carbs and burp out carbon dioxide thus making your bread rise. Purchase the start from a store that sells (and uses) ancient grain, non GMO flour in their start

Store starter in the fridge or on the countertop. If stored in the frig, feed it every 1 to 2 weeks. On the countertop, feed it every 4 or 5 days. Refrigeration recommended with feeding once a week.

Store the starter in a glass jar or high quality plastic container. Do not screw the lid tightly on the jar after feeding your starter or the expanding starter will burst you jar. Do not store in metal as it will eat through metal. You can use metal during the baking / mixing process but do not store starter in metal.

Discoloration: If you don’t feed your start it will get a discolored liquid layer on top. If the discoloration is grey or light blue then you can simply mixt in and feed your start promptly. If its red / pink or very dark, then remove and discard all the discolored portions and feed the remainder. It may need as many as three feedings to wake it back up. If you feed three times and it hasn’t woken up, you have certainly killed it. : (

Feeding your starter: mix ¼ cup starter with ½ cup water and ¾ cup flour (used only the ancient grain, non GMO organic kind) If stored in the frig, let it sit out at least 6 hours after feeding it or the probiotics will not be able to process the carbs. When starting out, keep only ¼ of the starter on hand at a time and discard extra that is produced after the feeding process or you’ll have a fridge full of starter. Once you start baking more, you can have more on hand.

Making a classic sourdough Loaf:

Approximately 6 hours before making bread you need to feed your starter. The reason for this is because your starter needs to be in an active state when you mix your bread. You will know that your starter is in an active state when a dollop of it floats in a glass of water. Be sure to keep a ¼ cup for next time.

Mix Dough (makes two loafs):

4 cups cool water

¾ cups starter

8 cups of ancient, organic grain, non GMO whole wheat flower (or for regular carb / gluten bread, 5 cups white and 3 cups whole wheat)

2 tablespoons salt. Salt matters, so use a high quality, non-Iodized salt for better flavor and health benefits. You can use Pink Himalayan Salt, or we use Real Salt Brand, Ancient Sea Salt

Fold Dough: Pull and fold once every 30 minutes for a total of 3 times. This is not like kneading. Pretend there is a baby doll laying on the dough and the dough is an open blanket that the doll needs to be wrapped in. After you have pull / folded the three corners of your dough blanket, the imaginary doll head will be stick out. Grab that fourth corner, pull and fold it over the entire loaf. The dough is very sticky so do this with wet hands.

Bulk rise: After you have folded the dough 3 times, leave the dough covered in a bowl for the bulk rise (8 to 12 hours). Warmer temperatures will result in dough that is ready sooner, colder temps will allow the dough to sit longer. You should have a fully risen loaf in 8 hours. For extra gluten breakdown, you can push your bulk rise to 12 or 13 hours.

Bench and Proof: After the bulk rise, dump the dough onto an oiled surface. Using a wet knife, cut the dough in half to form two loaves. Let sit for 30 minutes (bench rest). Pull an fold the dough one last time to create tension and place each loaf in separate bowls lined with oiled parchment paper. Let rise until it has doubled or about doubled in size. This takes 45 - 90 minutes depending on the temperature. For extra gluten breakdown, you can push this rise to 3 hours.

Bake: Preheat oven to 475. When the oven is ready lift the parchment paper and loaf from the bowl and place both in the cooking vessel. We use a glass pie pan. Place pans in the oven along with a pan of water. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool 1-2 hours.

Storage: The bread has no preservative, so it must be kept in the frig

Last edited:
We really enjoy baking our Papa Murphy's on the Bull
Momma love Her (Gluten Free) "Papa's Favorites" slid onto a Cooking Mat before baking
She feels it gives that GF Crust a better flavor
"It's a lot closer to that 'Brick Oven' taste"
I tried, but it's a pita to slide the Standard Crust off their "Cooking Tray"

I make breakfast with biscuits in mine all the time. They turn out great. the only thing I have found that doesn’t bake well in my recteqs is chicken pot pies. I don’t care for the flavor. But biscuits are great out of there and have a great flavor. I think it has to do with the short time they are cooking.

I try to use it whenever possible, but unless I am running it, my wife tends to use the regular oven. For one, I have solar power and when I see we have run our stove/oven the power draw is huge. Then there is the heat it generates in the house. For anything cooked over 300F, little smokey flavor is developed in the food. From a different perspective, a 40lb bag of pellets from sams club seems to last a lot longer than a tank of propane at a similar price point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back