Question for the Sous Vide Folks

Those cookies aren’t legal in my state, but my Sith friends in other states can hook you up 🙂.
I have been baking brownies in my Rt-680 and may have to give this a try.
Guess I need to watch Martha Stewart and Mr. Dogg to learn how it's done.

I have been baking brownies in my Rt-680 and may have to give this a try.
Guess I need to watch Martha Stewart and Mr. Dogg to learn how it's done.
Snoop’s cookbook is excellent, by the way. And hopefully brownie-indulging-Martha is way more chill than regular Martha. That woman once berated Miss Piggy for accidentally getting whipped cream on her snout on TV 🙄.

My comment about overkill for brisket and pulled pork was addressing the OP's statement that he bought a sous vide "largely..." to reheat brisket and pulled pork. I should have said it is an under utilization of a sous vide. But my point was that a sous vide is not needed for bbq meats that are cooked to to temperatures that render the connective tissue. Those meats are very tolerant of reheat temperatures.
To add some context, I’ve cooked countless briskets and pork butts for my family and friends for years… until now. As empty nesters, it just doesn’t make sense to cook 8 pound butts and 16 pound briskets for the two of us. So I’ve tried freezing the leftovers, and frankly I think compared to how they come out of the smoker my past methods suck. I have not enjoyed a single serving of previously frozen brisket or butt. So I either quit smoking butts and briskets and butts altogether, or I find a different way. And if vacuum sealed bags and a sous vide heater gives me what I’m looking for, it was well worth the investment if I never sous vide anything else.

To add some context, I’ve cooked countless briskets and pork butts for my family and friends for years… until now. As empty nesters, it just doesn’t make sense to cook 8 pound butts and 16 pound briskets for the two of us. So I’ve tried freezing the leftovers, and frankly I think compared to how they come out of the smoker my past methods suck. I have not enjoyed a single serving of previously frozen brisket or butt. So I either quit smoking butts and briskets and butts altogether, or I find a different way. And if vacuum sealed bags and a sous vide heater gives me what I’m looking for, it was well worth the investment if I never sous vide anything else.
I think you’ve got a real shot with sous vide. It may take some tinkering fo perfect it, but it’s a good idea.

My original reply seems to have been me thinking you were asking about how to Sous Vide Briskette , etc from an uncooked stand point, not as a reheater. My apologies if I confused you with that. Using it as a re-heater can be done, and many suggestions have already been made here about that.
As for the absense of taste you and your wife experienced, I am not sure what to say. I have been grilling/BBQ'ing for a good 30 years now, have tried many styles from many of the places I was either living or stationed at (Guam where they prefer On the coals directly, Hawaii, where they truely do Pit Coal (burying whole pigs in the ground, Japanese with inverse or even open hibachi and wood smoke methods, etc). And while each method brings something unique in a way of flavor, they all are great in their own right.
Cooking Steaks, Briskette, Pork Shoulder etc in a Sous Vide for me has rendered some of the best tasting dishes I have ever eaten. When and how you season makes all the difference, as well has how you finish them off. I would look into some specific recipies and methods of using the SV before writing that off completely.
I can say if the option is there, finishing a steak off in a coal-briskette fired searing grill gives it the flavor profile most people associate with eating a steak.
Hope you find new things to try and enjoy !

I think you’ve got a real shot with sous vide. It may take some tinkering fo perfect it, but it’s a good idea.

I agree. I've been using a sous vide method to warm my sliced, frozen and vac packed tritip for years. For that I just use hot tap water, in a bowl, which ours is set to 140F.

So, I’ve entered the world of a (cheap) vacuum sealer and a sous vide setup largely because I want to make better use of frozen, leftover brisket and pulled pork. A question for those here that also do that-how do you do it? Do you thaw first in the refrigerator, or go straight from freezer to sous vide? How long and at what temp do you set the sous vide to get to a hot serving temp? I was thinking that I would thaw first, put the meat in room temperature water, then set the sous vide to 160*, and serve the meat when it reaches 160*. Suggestions on how to approach this are appreciated!
I've been vacuum sealing my pulled pork and brisket and then just putting it in a pot of water on the stove. I've thought about buying a sous vide machine but I'm not sure what it would really add.

Let us know if you find any deals.
Will do, just need to confer with the head of household operations. I think she will go for this one without much objection. Now, the Sous Vide flamethrower might be another story. My cousin has one, and it is amazing for finishing meat. Mostly, it is just so darn cool.

Will do, just need to confer with the head of household operations. I think she will go for this one without much objection. Now, the Sous Vide flamethrower might be another story. My cousin has one, and it is amazing for finishing meat. Mostly, it is just so darn cool.

I was looking for a "sous vide flamethrower" and found this. Cracked me up. I have that weed burner (Harbor Freight). Gonna give it a try on the next steak, just for kicks.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...1F69A84B6DEAF50EE5421F69A84B6DEAF50&FORM=VIRE

That looks interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back