Question for Frequent Butt Smokers, Shoulder that is...

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
So, I do my share of shoulder. I'd say I smoke 3-5 a month for a household of just me, but I feed the neighbors and family. I've gotten pretty decent, with some coming out better than others just like everyone I'm sure. But, I like to experiment and try different flavors. With that said, I typically enjoy Susie's different recipes at Hey Grill hey, and she knows her stuff as she used to develop recipes for Traeger in the past. The reviews and comments on her Apple Cider (not apple juice) Brined and Injected pulled pork are raving about it, everyone is obsessed, so I wanted to try it but I'm having a hard time with the "fat side down" approach. So, tell me, has anyone done this recipe linked below? Anyone have experience with fat side down vs. up? Just curious, and no I don't want to start a debate where people just write "you lost me at fat side up", looking for advice or experience haha.

https://heygrillhey.com/cider-brined-pulled-pork/

The whole fat side up or down question. In my experience (35+ years), I have smoked them both ways. With the fat side down, it allows for a great bark all over the shoulder or butt except where the fat is, to me all of that delicious fat rendering just goes to waste this way, with the fat side up, the fat will not bark up and or color up but the fat rendering down into the pork just helps keep it moist and very flavorful and most of the time, you do not have to wrap it thru the whole cook.
There are pro's and con's to either way you smoke it but to me it should be nobody's choice but the pit master's, pick the one you like and go with it, it makes no difference after it is pulled as it all looks the same.
I personally like it fat side up because it helps to keep the meat moist throughout the cook, at least that is my opinion.
You will hear many many arguments as to which way is right, so you decide and perfect that style and enjoy.

Happy Smokin'

Ive done shoulders fat up and down and really dont see any difference. There is so much intramuscular fat on a shoulder youre not going to dry it out either way. The whole purpose typically for positioning of the cap on any meat is to protect it from the heat. I know theres claims of the juices running back through the meat as the fat renders when fat up but I personally dont believe it works that way... That being said, I always place fat cap between the heat and rest of the meat so on a recteq I go fat cap down.

All that said I like Susie's stuff as well. I dont think she would lead you astray! IMO theres only one way to find out and thats try it both ways!

I don't think brining a pork shoulder is necessary but you can if you want. I personally don't even inject but that make more sense to me. I will say I do brine my briskets though.

I go fat side up scored which makes it pretty. I also like to elevate my shoulders on a rack with some apple juice/cider under it so it keeps the fat. When I am done, I mix in the pulled pork with that liquid which I believe makes all the difference.

If I am doing mexican pulled pork or carntias, I use orange juice, lime juice, pineapple juice mix under the pork and just use a different rub for mexican style.

When I first started doing pulled pork, the one thing I didn't like it how it would dry out over time. Adding back in the fat/liquid in helps keep it moist and incredible.

Thanks for the replies. To be honest I was trying this recipe regardless of the answers, but putting the fat side up, to me is like people that put the toilet paper rolling off under the roll, I'm having a hard time trying it. And to be clear there is still only one way to hang the toilet paper that makes any sense.

Thanks for the replies. To be honest I was trying this recipe regardless of the answers, but putting the fat side up, to me is like people that put the toilet paper rolling off under the roll, I'm having a hard time trying it. And to be clear there is still only one way to hang the toilet paper that makes any sense.
I agree. The toilet paper MUST come from the top. There is this fact. Any other way is wrong. Lol

I agree. The toilet paper MUST come from the top. There is this fact. Any other way is wrong. Lol
The proof is in the patent 😁

1643257269463.jpeg

Snow squall rolled in with 30mph winds and sideways snow, 10lb butt going on now for an overnight cook at a wind chill of 3 degrees now at 10:30pm. The Bull is going to earn its keep tonight fellas. Tonight will be my new reply when my Traeger buddies say "do you really need a 40lb hopper?"

Attachments

• 3884F406-BAD9-41B1-8569-FAE86F206035.jpeg
    3884F406-BAD9-41B1-8569-FAE86F206035.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Looks great!
The last butt I cooked, I didn't want to deal with the fat cap when pulling, so I trimmed it off. Can't really say I could tell the difference from previous cooks. Maybe next time I do 2 butts I'll do one with fat one without.

So, I do my share of shoulder. I'd say I smoke 3-5 a month for a household of just me, but I feed the neighbors and family. I've gotten pretty decent, with some coming out better than others just like everyone I'm sure. But, I like to experiment and try different flavors. With that said, I typically enjoy Susie's different recipes at Hey Grill hey, and she knows her stuff as she used to develop recipes for Traeger in the past. The reviews and comments on her Apple Cider (not apple juice) Brined and Injected pulled pork are raving about it, everyone is obsessed, so I wanted to try it but I'm having a hard time with the "fat side down" approach. So, tell me, has anyone done this recipe linked below? Anyone have experience with fat side down vs. up? Just curious, and no I don't want to start a debate where people just write "you lost me at fat side up", looking for advice or experience haha.

https://heygrillhey.com/cider-brined-pulled-pork/
Interesting! I'd like to sample yours. I bet it is good.

As far as brines I think what you're doing is more trouble but may be worth it??? I like to do an instant brine with mine. I inject just before smoking time and they turn out great about 18 hours later ready for the cooler.

This is my instant brine mix:

Pulled Pork Injection #1:
•1 1/2 cups Apple Juice
•1 cup Apple cider Vinegar
•1/2 cup Water
•1 cup White sugar
•1/2 cup Salt (sea or kosher)
•4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1. Mix in pan on low heat, stir until dissolved.
2. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Inject.

As far as the fat side, I always place mine down. The pork is greasy enough as it is without more. I have no issues with dry meat doing this. I also trim most of it off. I do have type II so have to watch the grease. My wife also likes that I control the grease. I used to do fat side up, but it really is not best from my experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back