Possible remote start work around - USE AT YOUR OWN RSK

How did you jump (extremely reach) to that conclusion? No where, in any sensible way, or having reading comprehension did I say, elude too, or even come remotely close to insinuating, that believe anything will always work 100% of the time. :rolleyes:
Seriously, that is just un-called for.
My response was based on this quote from your previous post: “…by Law, the outlets IN the bathroom are all GFI styled, which means you literally CAN'T electrocute yourself when anything is plugged in to that GFI.” Did you not say that?

And, my point was simply that you CAN electrocute yourself when plugged into a bathroom GFCI (the current term used in the electrical code) if it isn’t working properly. And, you won’t know until you get lit up. Just trusting the fact that a bathroom electrical circuit is GFCI-protected doesn’t necessarily prevent electrocution.

However......it was followed up with "At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you. So the "label" on the dryer is moot, or at the most redundant."

Probably Alexa too since SmartLife works with Alexa? Seems
I can confirm it works with alexa... Though --- since it works with siri-- i wonder if it would work with my apple watch? Just start talking into my watch--- "siri-- start my grill" BAM....

I can now also confirm that you can use smartlife+siri to turn on the grill and it also works from my apple watch.(im sure it would work with android watches too)...

Dick tracy has nothing on us.... So i can just talk to my apple watch "hey siri turn on the grill" and it starts right up..

I wonder if there is a way to have the grill send temp notifications via text to my phone? That way-- if the "gardner"(eyeroll) turns on the grill-- ill know... Or if im cooking and waiting for the grill to get to temp-- it can send me a text that i get on my watch/phone...

Last edited:
Does the Smart Life app log and graph the temperature data similar to the Recteq app? I like to smoke at the Low setting for as long as possible and when the temperature starts to level out then I bump it up.

What about temperature alerts?

However......it was followed up with "At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you. So the "label" on the dryer is moot, or at the most redundant."
download.jpg

Does the Smart Life app log and graph the temperature data similar to the Recteq app? I like to smoke at the Low setting for as long as possible and when the temperature starts to level out then I bump it up.

What about temperature alert

The SL app doesnt graph the temp but it does show the set temp and the current temp.. It also shows auger speed... So far i havnet been able to get a temp alert but i think there is a way to do it with ifttt... I wonder if we can use ifTTT to turn on the grill ? Cause ifttt does do rich alerts..

I wonder if we can use ifTTT to turn on the grill ? Cause ifttt does do rich alerts..
Are you going to IFTTT the grill to turn on once your phone hits your home wifi as a trigger, or an event on your calendar will start it, or what? I know there's a ton of triggers - what would you use?
I like it - but it may be a bit Rube Goldberg-ish for turning on the grill. Looking forward to hearing what the trigger is going to be.

No.. My thought is to use Smart Home/alexa to turn on the grill.. But then once ifttt sees the grill on.. ifttt should be able to see the set temperature and once we hit it-- ifttt sends out a text... Also--- if grill is on then ifttt send me a text notifying me every 10 or 15 mins ect.. That way that pesky grill turning on gardener cant turn on the grill and run away... (again-- eyeroll)..

Ive been up to my neck with work-- so havnt been able to get into ifttt yet... But when i get a min i will... If others on here get a chance to dig around or know ifttt well--- Seeing what they do will be good..

My response was based on this quote from your previous post: “…by Law, the outlets IN the bathroom are all GFI styled, which means you literally CAN'T electrocute yourself when anything is plugged in to that GFI.” Did you not say that?

And, my point was simply that you CAN electrocute yourself when plugged into a bathroom GFCI (the current term used in the electrical code) if it isn’t working properly. And, you won’t know until you get lit up. Just trusting the fact that a bathroom electrical circuit is GFCI-protected doesn’t necessarily prevent electrocution.
You obviously didn't read the entirety of my post, including the part where I said "At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you..."

You took what I said and went the route of trying to argue the extreme (AKA Strawman Argument), saying you can't ever trust anything 100%, but see that's just common sense.

Let's break it down and I will draw a line in the sand for you, since you like absolutes so much.

If by definition and design of how a GFI works I will say this again. YOU LITERALLY CAN'T get electrocuted.
The Caveat being - UNLESS SOMEONE DIDN'T WIRE IT PROPERLY. 🤪 OR IT'S FAULTY, OR... ETC.
Most people already see that as common sense.

You obviously didn't read the entirety of my post, including the part where I said "At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you..."

You took what I said and went the route of trying to argue the extreme (AKA Strawman Argument), saying you can't ever trust anything 100%, but see that's just common sense.

Let's break it down and I will draw a line in the sand for you, since you like absolutes so much.

If by definition and design of how a GFI works I will say this again. YOU LITERALLY CAN'T get electrocuted.
The Caveat being - UNLESS SOMEONE DIDN'T WIRE IT PROPERLY. 🤪 OR IT'S FAULTY, OR... ETC.
Most people already see that as common sense.
Let’s just agree to disagree, Chief, and move on.

Let’s just agree to disagree, Chief, and move on.
Jim, normally I would, but you tried to call me out by insinuating I was giving out false information. You essentially attacked my integrity. I don't take that lightly. There are VERY few things in this world that can piss me off. You happened to find one.

Jim, normally I would, but you tried to call me out by insinuating I was giving out false information. You essentially attacked my integrity. I don't take that lightly. There are VERY few things in this world that can piss me off. You happened to find one.
Chief, I didn't insinuate anything. Neither did I attack your integrity. Get the chip off your shoulder!

I simply pointed out that your comment claiming that if you were plugged into a GFCI outlet "you literally can't electrocute yourself" is not true. Slice it any way you want, but just relying on the fact that the outlet says it is GFCI doesn't mean it will work flawlessly. Common sense says not to do stupid things and rely on the fact that the outlet claims to be GFCI.

And, just to be clear, I did not just call you "stupid." Neither did I demean your integrity. As a brother in arms, I have the utmost respect for those who have served our nation. That said, none of us are always right.

This is the end of the conversation for me. I will not reply to any further posts on this subject.

Chief, I didn't insinuate anything. Neither did I attack your integrity. Get the chip off your shoulder!

I simply pointed out that your comment claiming that if you were plugged into a GFCI outlet "you literally can't electrocute yourself" is not true. Slice it any way you want, but just relying on the fact that the outlet says it is GFCI doesn't mean it will work flawlessly. Common sense says not to do stupid things and rely on the fact that the outlet claims to be GFCI.

And, just to be clear, I did not just call you "stupid." Neither did I demean your integrity. As a brother in arms, I have the utmost respect for those who have served our nation. That said, none of us are always right.

This is the end of the conversation for me. I will not reply to any further posts on this subject.

Not sure if you will see this or not, as I am also "likely"
on your ignore list......but you have said that before in several threads. Why respond to or view threads that piss you off or are of no interest to you? 🤔

Not sure if you will see this or not, as I am also "likely"
on your ignore list......but you have said that before in several threads. Why respond to or view threads that piss you off or are of no interest to you? 🤔
Well, that goes both ways. Not pointing at you, as I *think* you and I have always been on good terms. However,
I was called out again yesterday on a remote start thread that I had not commented on for two weeks because I let it go. Why call someone out while at the same time answering the question ‘tell me you are more concerned about the technology instead of making good BBQ’ without telling me ‘I’m more concerned about the technology instead of making good BBQ.’

Well, that goes both ways. Not pointing at you, as I *think* you and I have always been on good terms. However,
I was called out again yesterday on a remote start thread that I had not commented on for two weeks because I let it go. Why call someone out while at the same time answering the question ‘tell me you are more concerned about the technology instead of making good BBQ’ without telling me ‘I’m more concerned about the technology instead of making good BBQ.’

Nah we are totally good, hell I am good with Jim as well........our differences in thinking/living makes it all interesting, and we are all here for different reasons, and even those reasons can change like a fart in the wind. I don't look for or embrace conflict, but I am also not one who easily lets "things" go either. :LOL:

Remember the simple days when we discussed how to deal with a soot covered light lens? Yup.. I have a spare I purchased and think I swapped 1 or 2 times before giving up on that. Or the auger modifications? Good times.

Anyway.. Happy Easter everyone and hope your cooks come out amazing and shared with family & friends regardless of the method. My 23lb turkey is on :cool:.

Looney Tunes Vintage GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back