Possible remote start work around - USE AT YOUR OWN RSK

I wouldn't have said anything like that at all.......just "use at your own risk". The product and device was designed to do such a thing, so I would imagine that most liability would fall on the company and not consumers. More people will die or get seriously injured today in a car accident, than any injury/deaths/destruction due to this app. We need to collectively be fighting/pushing back against frivolous lawsuits, so many these days are scared of their own shadow.
Let’s not forget all the inanimate objects as well.

EDIT: knives, spoons, forks and all those others that without help don’t work.

I wouldn't have said anything like that at all.......just "use at your own risk". The product and device was designed to do such a thing, so I would imagine that most liability would fall on the company and not consumers. More people will die or get seriously injured today in a car accident, than any injury/deaths/destruction due to this app. We need to collectively be fighting/pushing back against frivolous lawsuits, so many these days are scared of their own shadow.
Id like to see any hard numbers on App related , or remote start deaths.... Somebody leaving a cover on a grill and leaving it plugged in is user error. The app also gives temp and awt temp reached alerts..were these notifications ignored?...wouldnt you say "hey ,why is my smoker starting up" ?..... No common sense anymore.

Id like to see any hard numbers on App related , or remote start deaths.... Somebody leaving a cover on a grill and leaving it plugged in is user error. The app also gives temp and awt temp reached alerts..were these notifications ignored?...wouldnt you say "hey ,why is my smoker starting up" ?..... No common sense anymore.
I store my lawnmower mix in the main chamber, keep it plugged in and a full hopper of pellets. Never had a problem. Is this ‘MERICA or isn’t it !
I also have a squirrel theory where they’ll eventually be smarter than us. Their dumb ones get squished- we save our dumb ones.

Deaths, maybe not so much- blowing the cover off on startup and catching an adjacent structure on fire (or worse) probably happens more often. I have no use for remote start and avoid overnight cooks since my 1250 is sitting on a 12x18 wooden deck.

I just switched auto and home insurance providers (Traveler$ to another tier-1 provider) and was asked all sorts of questions about grill, pellet grill, ...

Leads me to believe their may be more of those sorts of claims these days.

Deaths, maybe not so much- blowing the cover off on startup and catching an adjacent structure on fire (or worse) probably happens more often. I have no use for remote start and avoid overnight cooks since my 1250 is sitting on a 12x18 wooden deck.

I just switched auto and home insurance providers (Traveler$ to another tier-1 provider) and was asked all sorts of questions about grill, pellet grill, ...

Stupid costs us all, why do we keep saving them? Darwin anyone???

While I have no issue with users discussing the remote power on feature being removed and the wide range of reasons and speculation as to why. This particular thread has me very torn.

This "suggestion" or "work around" is using a 3rd party app that was essentially designed to work with turn on/off light bulbs and working with Google Home and Amazon Echo's.

A MASSIVE difference when compared to grills that you are literally starting and stopping fires.

While we try to allow as much open discussion, to the possible likes or dislikes of some people(s), I don't believe this is the best of info and while I'm not removing the thread (at least not yet) - I have added a very clear message to the first post to warn anyone reading the thread that this is not recommended and risky.
I get the feeling of being torn. However, I'd argue it's no different than the countless other mods all over the forum. These kind of things is what makes the forum to me.

I appreciate you leaving it up. As with any mod on here, common sense would dictate that anything we do to our beloved grills outside of how it came from Recteq, we assume personal responsibility for the mod we do.

That being said, one of the things I desired from the app for a long time is to control the smoker with Google Home. Losing remote start forced the issue for me and I can confirm this fix works and I gained the functionality I wanted.

Stupid costs us all, why do we keep saving them? Darwin anyone???
10000000000000000000%

We are the only species on this planet that continually prevents proper evolution. We prevent Nature from takings its intended course.
My Point of View = Remove the warning labels on every device, everywhere.
If you are too stupid to operate the device, and die because of that stupidity, well, that's a good thing. The Human race just won by reducing the chance that person procreated and passed along the stupid-gene on to another generation.

10000000000000000000%

We are the only species on this planet that continually prevents proper evolution. We prevent Nature from takings its intended course.
My Point of View = Remove the warning labels on every device, everywhere.
If you are too stupid to operate the device, and die because of that stupidity, well, that's a good thing. The Human race just won by reducing the chance that person procreated and passed along the stupid-gene on to another generation.
Wait no labels on the blow dryer telling you not to use in the shower? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

To those that have tried this hack.... Once you connect the power button to toya and have actually turned on the smoker using Toya... Can you then use the recteq app to manage temps or does the toya app hijack the entire wifi module?

(ive been working on setting up home assistant for the last few days-- so i was excited to see this hack)..

Last edited:

I get the feeling of being torn. However, I'd argue it's no different than the countless other mods all over the forum. These kind of things is what makes the forum to me.

I appreciate you leaving it up. As with any mod on here, common sense would dictate that anything we do to our beloved grills outside of how it came from Recteq, we assume personal responsibility for the mod we do.

That being said, one of the things I desired from the app for a long time is to control the smoker with Google Home. Losing remote start forced the issue for me and I can confirm this fix works and I gained the functionality I wanted.
We should have the option of turning on remotely or manually on the APP. I loved the feature of going to the market and finding a sale and turning it on to prepare it so when I get home it's ready to cook. I wonder if all pellet grills manufacturers are no having you turn on manually.

Yea this update is a bummer. I frequently clean and prep my grill for an early AM start then remote start. I don’t want to walk outside naked in the snow and start my grill at 0300😹 I can see it from the window.

I’m going to try this later this week. According to my app, I have cooked 103 times. I would venture to say that I remote started the grill 100 of that, usually from my couch with the grill in view. However, when I first bought it, I was switching from camp chef, which had different start up and shut down steps. I was in NY visiting family and my wife was home and wanted to grill, so she texted and asked me to start it. I started it from NY, set the temp for chicken, told her it was ready and turned it off when she was done. I bought this specific grill for this feature and I don’t care much for someone else telling me about my safety. Before I found this work around, I was researching Wi-Fi enabled button pushers. $29 on Amazon.

IMG_3188.jpg

Any ideas on how we can prevent future updates to the RT firmware so we can keep the smart life working?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back