Possible change with recteq and Kingsford?

Wondering if pellet quality could be behind this. I'm a brand new owner (have had the Bull for a couple months) and only complaint is I haven't been getting very high heat, it tops out under 479° after 49 minutes (sometimes only 440s). I ordered the 220# assortment of pellets and have been using Kingsford. Back & forth with customer service they asked me to do a pellet test to see if they break cleanly and easily using only 2 fingers. The Kingsford pellets did break cleanly but I had to use two hands... Have used up two 20# bags of Kingsford and just poured my first bag of Cookinpellets. Tried the "pellet test" with these and they DO break very easily with just two fingers. Will see if they heat up better (fingers crossed!).

Wondering if pellet quality could be behind this. I'm a brand new owner (have had the Bull for a couple months) and only complaint is I haven't been getting very high heat, it tops out under 479° after 49 minutes (sometimes only 440s). I ordered the 220# assortment of pellets and have been using Kingsford. Back & forth with customer service they asked me to do a pellet test to see if they break cleanly and easily using only 2 fingers. The Kingsford pellets did break cleanly but I had to use two hands... Have used up two 20# bags of Kingsford and just poured my first bag of Cookinpellets. Tried the "pellet test" with these and they DO break very easily with just two fingers. Will see if they heat up better (fingers crossed!).
You might want to check out this forum post. It might just change your grilling life with the Bull.
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...he-rt-700-its-awesome.3823/page-22#post-47185

While on vacation last week, we drove a couple hours out of the way to go by the Rec Teq "campus/factory". It was very enjoyable, and we even left with a new toy. (Had a Stampede, bought a Bullseye) My wife saw some Kingsford Pellets on the wall that caught her her eye. They are "flavored". We bought 2 of the three flavors. (they had Basil, Sage & Thyme; Garlic, Onion & Paprika; and a third kind I can't recall.) We bought the ones pictured. This might be old news to all of you guys (I am still fairly new to this site), but I found it fascinating!! Also, I called Rec Teq after we got home to see if these pellets were a Rec Teq exclusive (since I cannot find them anywhere online) and they said they were not available "yet". Not sure if they ever will be. Hope you find it as interesting as I did. (and I will make sure to report any flavor enhancements that we notice!)

Attachments

• basil-sage-thyme2.jpg
    basil-sage-thyme2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • garlic-onion-paprika1.jpg
    garlic-onion-paprika1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Hmmm…very interesting, indeed. I’m trying to wrap my brain around how those might work 🤔. I know what it smells like when garlic, onion, and basil catch fire. Maybe it smells different when the sprinklers don’t go off…

Have a look here: https://www.augustachronicle.com/st...ible-growth-evans-columbia-county/4338084001/

Looks like a venture capital company is investing in RecTeq. Not sure what that would be with the Kingsford partnership. Quite possibly Kingsford pellets are being sold by RT under private label.

The venture capital folks may change the landscape even more. VC groups invest in companies but at some time in the future want a return on their investment and the company in which they invested will normally be sold off or best case be able to go public and the VC then gets paid from the initial offering.

I was in a "sold off" scenario. We were sold to a very large national company which initially looked like a good deal but seven years down the road our company no longer exists and the intellectual properties were either abandoned or sold piecemeal. Employees had to avoid having the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

aslong as recteq is able to keep or improve the quality and construction of there grills im fine with investors. i would like to see a bigger product line. i would really like to see a grill i between the bfg and 700 with 2-3 factory racks for under 2k preferably 1699 or about that. but if it was built like a bfg 1999 and 40in wide would be sweet! i would also like to see the bullseye with sturdy folding or telescoping legs for a more compact on the go grill.

Customer service=A+. App=crap. Notifications....the annoying grill temperature setting, or lack thereof and constant notifications. It would be nice to have a high and low range notification for grill temperature.

The charting legends are difficult to read. There is no way to save cooking events. And like MasterTech59 said, the app crashes and you get disconnected during holidays, weekends, etc.

Evidently, the app functionality is of little concern or priority to recteq.

Last edited:
Customer service=A+. App=crap. Notifications....the annoying grill temperature setting, or lack thereof and constant notifications. It would be nice to have a high and low range notification for grill temperature.

The charting legends are difficult to read. There is no way to save cooking events. And like MasterTech59 said, the app crashes and you get disconnected during holidays, weekends, etc.

Evidently, the app functionality is of little concern or priority to recteq.
Press and hold the +/- buttons to change temp instead of pressing repeatedly. You'll also get fewer notifications that way.

I noticed today on recteq site that the pelllet bundle no longer includes regular Kingsford pellets!
Wonder what happen between them?? They definitely stop promoting them like Greg said

BUNDLE INCLUDES​

• 160 lbs. recteq® Ultimate Blend Pellets (4 bags)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Basil Sage Thyme Pellets (1 bag)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Cumin Chili Pellets (1 bag)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Garlic Onion Paprika Pellets (1 bag)

I noticed today on recteq site that the pelllet bundle no longer includes regular Kingsford pellets!
Wonder what happen between them?? They definitely stop promoting them like Greg said

BUNDLE INCLUDES​

• 160 lbs. recteq® Ultimate Blend Pellets (4 bags)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Basil Sage Thyme Pellets (1 bag)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Cumin Chili Pellets (1 bag)
  • 17 lbs. Kingsford® Garlic Onion Paprika Pellets (1 bag)
Well, that’s curious, and adds an even stranger twist to the Kingsford/recteq story. Kingsford doesn’t even promote those pellets-they don’t appear anywhere on the Kingsford site. They were introduced at this year’s recteq fest, then nothing but crickets. recteq didn’t even promote them on their shows, when they were still promoting Kingsford. Ray must have got a great deal on Kingsford’s inventory!

I have never used anything but Pitboss in my 380, been fine. I did have one auger jam that was my fault. I would love to purchase a 380 Deluxe, but I don't think you would ever be able to remove/replace the auger to motor spring pin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back