Portions, Leftovers and Empty Nesters

Like Chris G, I waste too much good food. DW doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive. And stuff can only stay in the freezer so long before it goes bad. I really enjoy my 590 and would like to use it three or four times a week. Maybe I can hook up with the church or some group that feeds the hungry. Lord knows we have plenty of them here in this town. Unfortunately, many of them are young and have just lived a lifetime of poor choices. I would like to supply my extra food to people who deserve it.

For those of you that throw away food after freezing, are you vacuum sealing? I’ve come upon food that is 2 years old, and reheats (sous vide) and tastes (almost) as good as the day I cooked it. The key is to freeze in 1-2 portion size bags to avoid freeze/thaw/freeze cycles

2 years is a while, I did just buy a vacuum sealer, but are you saying smaller bags don't go through that cycle?
I will be happy with 6 months. Our Freezer died last year and my wife wont let me get another one. She does have a point that we keep shoving stuff in freezer and don't eat. So now we are cleaning out the freezer and keeping things tight. Honestly that is fine and keeps me cooking more regularly.

Right now, my wife is about to put me in the barn with all of my grills and accessories! :ROFLMAO:

If we have a lot leftover we may vacuum seal and freeze some. We usually make tacos, stir fry, omelets, sandwiches etc with leftovers, trying to combine other flavors so it doesn't seem like the same thing every night. It's amazing how a small amount of smoked meats can enhance other dishes when used as an ingredient .

As all of you know by now, as a Newbie, I have had several successful cooks on my 590 and Bullseye. So my next question has to do with everyday cooking.
It is just my wife and I, so everything has been fine so far. I do want to cook a brisket, maybe a pork butt. So my question is:

If I get a brisket, should I cut it in half, freeze it and then only cook half or cook it all and freeze of course with vacuum seal.
Same on Pork but.
I love both but hate freezing food. Or am I just unlearned?

What say you!
I usually go ahead and fill my 590 and then freeze what the two of us don’t eat. Smoked meat keeps really well and I add some of the leftover braising liquid if that’s what I did.

2 years is a while, I did just buy a vacuum sealer, but are you saying smaller bags don't go through that cycle?
I will be happy with 6 months. Our Freezer died last year and my wife wont let me get another one. She does have a point that we keep shoving stuff in freezer and don't eat. So now we are cleaning out the freezer and keeping things tight. Honestly that is fine and keeps me cooking more regularly.
^^^^^^I AGREE^^^^^^^^
That's exactly why we got rid of our freezer. I figured it was actually costing me money by the wasted food.

I'll freeze some leftovers from time to time, but mainly I eat a few meals of something and then repurpose it...I love a good pulled pork or brisket omelet for breakfast!...but I mainly give away to neighbors or coworkers.

My freezers get used mainly to store wild game, meat that I stock up on when on sale and produce. You can never have too many frozen veggies on hand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back