Portions, Leftovers and Empty Nesters

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
As all of you know by now, as a Newbie, I have had several successful cooks on my 590 and Bullseye. So my next question has to do with everyday cooking.
It is just my wife and I, so everything has been fine so far. I do want to cook a brisket, maybe a pork butt. So my question is:

If I get a brisket, should I cut it in half, freeze it and then only cook half or cook it all and freeze of course with vacuum seal.
Same on Pork but.
I love both but hate freezing food. Or am I just unlearned?

What say you!

I would portion ahead, vacuum pack, and freeze.

Something you can also do with left over smoked meat is add it into baked beans (along with chunks of pepper and onion) to make it more of a meal. Did that for years with bits of smoked beef, pork, turkey, and cajun sausage.

Honestly, a lot of what I cook is frozen lately if I get it fresh or that way. I can't really tell the difference anymore. Just don't let it sit too long and it will all be fine. No reason to cook more than necessary and waste it. Only the two of us now aside from the pups. They help sometimes if there is a little left.

Pops, it's just my wife and I. Our freezer almost always has a bit of previously smoked tri-tip, pulled pork, baby backs, and probably some other meat. One of our favorite things is to use the smoked meats in recipes or just to warm and serve. Our most popular is the pulled pork. We pack all the meats in smaller quantities, suitable for single meals for 2.

Yes, to the above. Smoke it all then portion it out and freeze it. Makes for great on the fly meals and or experimenting with things. Wrap it up good and tight (vacuum if you got it), but don't keep it frozen for too long. I prefer warming things up with some low steam, or air fryer.

Having brisket for two is a bit much. I typically buy 12 to 14 pound prime briskets from Sam's Club. After trimming I'll lose 3 to 4 pounds. (I use the scraps to make beef tallow) If it's just me and my wife I'll separate the point from the flat. That usually leave me with two 5lb slabs of beef. I'll vacuum seal one and smoke the other. If I'm smoking the point I like to make burnt ends (Wife's Favorite!) Any leftovers I'll chop and make Bbq Chop Beef Sandwiches for lunch the next day.

Just 2 of us, I buy larger cuts, cook it, vacuum seal, label/date and freeze the leftovers in portion sizes. Too much work to cook small portions so I go big to have more leftovers. My freezer is full of cooked, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, queso, tri-tip, chuck, etc.. Use Sous Vide to reheat, taste like it came off the grill.

Just 2 of us, I buy larger cuts, cook it, vacuum seal, label/date and freeze the leftovers in portion sizes. Too much work to cook small portions so I go big to have more leftovers. My freezer is full of cooked, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, queso, tri-tip, chuck, etc.. Use Sous Vide to reheat, taste like it came off the grill.
Same here vacuum sealing makes it great to warm up we just put the sealed bag in a pot of hot water until warm, Sous Vide.

I try to purchase smaller portions but afraid I throw lot's of food away. No one seems to be a leftover fan.

Rather than brisket for 2 I’ve been smoking chuck roasts. Very good flavor. Takes some experimenting to get the process right, but not more than nailing down a brisket process.
Same here. I love cooking and eating brisket, but I just can’t justify the expense and trouble for just the two of us. I don’t have a vacuum sealer nor a sous vide, so the chuck roast doesn’t seem like that big of a step down from brisket.

I’m a little late to this topic. I try to plan meals around my cooks. Some might still be frozen for later. When I do pulled pork or brisket, we always have tacos, nachos, sandwiches and enchiladas the same week ( some variation of this).

I wish I could do better in this category. Seems like if I have it, I don't want it.

I usually only keep food in the freezer for six months max even if vacuumed.

I completely understand. Actually, I am enjoying grilling again and that is part of the fun for me as I am learning!

I did buy a Food Saver yesterday at Costco, on sale 149.00 with $50.00 off so $99.00!

I will most likely use it to buy the food at Costco and divide it up into single cook portions and freeze. We have had good luck with their meat, the portions are too much for the two of us.

If we have leftovers we usually in during the week.

I am single with a Bull and a Bullseye.....Cook on them 2 or 3 times a week....Well I smoke, then share with my married friends who share their "specials" with me...Always Take smoked meat to the party,do smoke for others and keep a portion for myself... I love to cook, so always cook for myself and enjoy,both the cooking and the food...Smoked everything always taste better........

It has always been just been my Wife and I learned this lesson on an Offset / Stick Burner;
"Always make good use of your Wood and time"
So now, we smoke a Bull load of __________ or a few of these and a couple those
f.e.: Four whole Chickens:
gmUE3ox.jpg

Four Beef Ribs:
xVwvFFf.jpg

Or, one of three racks of Ribs and two Pork Loins:
DQYpHhG.jpg

You get the picture ....

We'll eat some that night and portion the rest out into Vacuseal Bags and freeze them
Reheat whatever sounds good for that next meal
Here's a Thread on how Folks reheat their frozen Barbecue:
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/how-do-you-reheat-your-bbq.3070/#post-32310

Just so happens, we eat Babybacks last night, that I smoked a few week ago .... came out just as moist a flavorful as the night I smoked them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back