Grilling Notes: Saturday Pizza (Thanksgiving Leftovers) on the Bullseye - 28 November 2020

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
BLUF: The Bullseye performed VERY well as a pizza oven (at least in our first experience).

Today’s event was based on a couple of Youtube videos I’ve seen for Pizza on the Bullseye, combined with our need to use up some of the leftovers from our Thanksgiving feast - PLUS an ongoing desire to learn more about this recteq Bullseye we are become very happy with!

• Grill Location: Hot Springs Village, AR.; 34 37 60.0N 92 54 55.4W - Great late Fall day on Whiskey Cover, mostly clear today, although there are some clouds moving in from the south.
  • Weather at time of Grill: Clear to Partly cloudy, Slight breeze coming out of the North West, Temp 54F Humidity 47%.
  • Total Grill Time: ~29 Min (16:16 - 16:55 CST) [Grill Start to Grill Off] - does NOT = total cook time.
  • Total Event Time: ~59 Min (Prep time + Grill Time)
  • Grill Plates: N/A
  • Temp Probes: N/A
  • Pellets Used: Rec Tec Ultimate Blend
  • Item Grilled: Homemade Pizza (Ham & Pineapple)
    • ~14” Thin Crust (homemade dough & leftover ingredients)
      • Had a little discussion on just how “thin” thin crust was…..the engineer in me wanted to take a measurement, the husband in me accepted the chef’s definition of “thin crust” as stated….
    • Total Pizza Prep Time: ~20 min, + ~10 min to make the dough (this according to the “dough maker”)
    • Total Pizza Grill Time: ~11 min (~16:44 - 16:55 CST)

Misc Grill Observations - all times are CST
  • Grill Start to Target Temp 450F: 54F to 450F ~ 17 min (16:16 - 16:33)
  • Pizza placed on a 15” Pizza Stone (Pampered Chef Classic Collection), parchment paper between dough & stone - On the grill at 16:44 CST
  • Pizza stone temp was ~ 567 F, at a 450 F Grill setting (temp taken with a Fluke 62 Max + IR Thermometer), this was taken just as we were placing the pizza on the stone.

General Comments:

• Strictly from a grill perspective, I think we hit this one just about right; temp, time, etc. "CINC House" had some critiques on the pizza makeup (more garlic, mozzarella cheese [didn’t have any], etc. but it had nothing to do with the grilling portion of the event - this grill is a *great pizza oven! (* assessment base on ONE event for us.....)
    • One critique is we think we could somehow inject a little more “smokiness” into the cook, but it will probably require incorporating either the Trailblazer (easier) or the BGE ( a little more complex) before placing the pizza onto the stone for the high temperature cook...
    • Unlike the BGE where you really need to elevate the pizza stone to get the top & bottom/crust in sync from a cook perspective, on the Bullseye, I THINK because of the shallower lid, placing the pizza stone & pizza on top of the grill is probably just right as is.

Attachments

• Pizza Raw Ingrediants 20201128.jpeg
    Pizza Raw Ingrediants 20201128.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • Pizza Putting Topping On 20201128.jpeg
    Pizza Putting Topping On 20201128.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • Ready for the Bullseye 20201128.jpeg
    Ready for the Bullseye 20201128.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • Grill Helpers 20201128.jpeg
    Grill Helpers 20201128.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • Pizza Just on the Grill 20201128.jpeg
    Pizza Just on the Grill 20201128.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 97
  • Pizza Ready for Grill Removal 20201128.jpeg
    Pizza Ready for Grill Removal 20201128.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 99
  • Cutting Pizza 20201128.jpeg
    Cutting Pizza 20201128.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 98
  • Plated Pizza Slices 20201128.jpeg
    Plated Pizza Slices 20201128.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
That pizza looks really tasty @Sscottfitz. We do pizza every week to 10 days on our 700 and love it.
Any chance you could share the dough recipe? Always looking to try new ways to up our game.

That pizza looks really tasty @Sscottfitz. We do pizza every week to 10 days on our 700 and love it.
Any chance you could share the dough recipe? Always looking to try new ways to up our game.
Waterboy, I'll get ya the dough recipe to be sure, but might be tomorrow - the "recipe keeper" has shut down ops for the evening, so this will probably be a "tomorrow transaction".....<grin>

Waterboy, I'll get ya the dough recipe to be sure, but might be tomorrow - the "recipe keeper" has shut down ops for the evening, so this will probably be a "tomorrow transaction".....<grin>
Gotta admit, I didn't see THIS response coming.....someone (ain't sayin who.....) actually responded to my LATE Sat evening RFI (request for information).....sometimes, you just ask....... Anyway, here is the provided "pizza dough" recipe request:
Ingredients

For the pizza dough:

• 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise® Yeast

• 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

• 3/4 teaspoon salt

• 2/3 cup very warm water 120° to 130°F

• 3 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 450°F.

• Whisk together 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add oil to the water and pour into dry ingredients. Stir until well blended, about 1 minute. Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

• Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky.

• Knead dough on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.

• Cover and rest the dough for 10 minutes.

• Stretch and pat dough with floured hands to fill greased 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet.

• Spread with pizza sauce. Top with cheese and toppings of your choice .

• Bake on lowest oven rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.

• Cool just a minute or so before slicing and serving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back