Bull Pellets Not Flowing in RT700

El Kabong NDN

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Apologies in advance if this topic already has been covered, but I don't know the phrase to describe what is happening with my Bull.

Did my first brisket for the 4th -- 14# packer, put it on at 11pm at 225, held temp great, might've wrapped a bit soon (need to calibrate my probes), took it off to rest at 3pm, served at 6pm. Cut it a little thick and probably needed to trim it better, but overall it went well.

Now, the issue. After the brisket came off, I put a beer-can chicken on for one of my guests, and it turned out fine as well. But the result was the Bull was pretty much running for 18 hours straight. I had filled the pellet hopper before I started, so I didn't run out. But when I opened the hopper this morning during my cleanup, I noticed in the center of the hopper the pellets had run down almost to the bottom, while along the sides, the pellets were still clinging to the wall. I would expect the hopper to empty out as the pellets were used in a more even manner. If I had cooked much longer, it would have looked like I ran out of pellets while the hopper still would have had some in there.

Is this a known issue with the Bulls? Is there a workaround or a part that I'm missing?

Oh, and the results:
575F7CEF-64BF-4082-B194-10FE62855535_1_105_c.jpeg
70CE05BC-21B5-4E1A-ACF6-242CB728F348_1_105_c.jpeg
852A14A4-1803-4FEE-92C4-0A6BB4B3942E_1_105_c.jpeg
D3923EE5-2D71-4EED-B16F-3096DC44EC77_1_105_c.jpeg

Not sure I'm understanding you. My 700 creates a slot (hole if you will) also towards the center of the hopper as pellets feed down. But the pellets on the outersides always slide down into the feedhole and auger. It has never run out or failed to keep feeding.

If I do a long cook I’ll open the hopper lid after 6 or eight hours and adjust the pellets by hand. I have never had them run out but I just make that a part of my routine.

FWIW: It's called pellet bridging, it's a common issue with many brands.

No, it's when they wedge together in the chute, forming a bridge, where it then empties everything below the bridge. It's a common problem outside of pellet grills too, it's a function of things wedging themselves down a funnel.

Here's another example. One of these pieces of brass should fall in to the wheel cutout, but they've bridged themselves preventing proper feeding:

No, it's when they wedge together in the chute, forming a bridge, where it then empties everything below the bridge. It's a common problem outside of pellet grills too, it's a function of things wedging themselves down a funnel.

Here's another example. One of these pieces of brass should fall in to the wheel cutout, but they've bridged themselves preventing proper feeding:

Got it. Thanks

He wasn't talking about bridging though, he said the pellets on the sides of hopper were being held up from falling down... Like there was space between the auger and sidewalls.

What the OP describes is called "funneling" where the pellets can form an open funnel going down to the auger feed opening but other pellets remain at the hopper walls. It happens sometimes and on any brand/model -- it's not exclusive to RT grills.

As long as you check and move pellets towards the middle of the hopper you should be fine.

My pellets form a funnel, and toward the end of my 22 hour cook this weekend, I had about 10# that looked like they might've formed a problem, but as soon as I moved 1 pellet, they all slid down.
I like keeping up with pellet usage, so I have a hint of usage at that temp/duration, so it isn't a problem for me.
As mooncusser says, checking periodically will prevent any problem.

The pellets hang up on the dust from the pellets. There isn't enough of an angle for them to free fall and I clean my hopper sides regularly. I always reach in and knock the pellets down just to make sure they are at the auger opening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back