Pellet dust

PRC

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
I want to keep as much of the pellet dust out of my hopper as possible. Does anyone know of a product you can buy to sift out the pellet dust before dumping pellets into the hopper? I keep my pellets in Home Depot 5 gal buckets with the waterproof spin on cover to keep everything dry. I would like to find a way to sift out the dust before I dump the pellets into the bucket for storage.

Has anyone used the Oklahoma Joe's Pellet Bucket Kit? It looks like it may work but they are a bit expensive. It would be great if you could just buy the wire-mesh filter that separates wood dust from the pellets, that is part of that kit.

There are a few companies that make such items, Traeger, OK Joe, etc. All overpriced, IMHO.

I've been using pellet grills for 5-6 years and never sifted pellets. No issues with dust. If you clean out the grill every few cooks, you should be fine.

I had an experience with my Traeger. After about two years the auger starting making popping sounds every so often. It was pellet dust that had gotten into the auger tube but could never really get out since it is so fine. With our humid temperature it got enough moisture over time to start making it into hard chunks. Before it totaly jamed up the auger to where it would not turn i emptied out the hopper and took my 180 lb air compressor and shot air from inside the hopper end of the auger tube towards the fire pot. You would not believe how many chunks of hard built up pellet dust and fines came out. it was like the entire length of the bottom of the auger tube had it built up inside it. After that I started blowing out the tube at least once a year or when I started hearing the popping sound.

You can do a search for a dirt or grit screen for car washing. Might have them at WM or an autoparts shop. I use a 5 gal bucket and sift with my hand when the pellets get low.

Is this "Pellet Dust" or "Pixie Dust"? Asking for a friend on the Traeger forum.

Thanks

Last edited:
I always scoop from the bag, not pour.

Small amount of pellets on the bottom of the bag don’t get used, as I don’t want the dust that comes with it. Way less than a dollars worth. Keeps majority of dust out

You could separate the dust with air. Set up a large container with a 10"-12" table fan sitting just above it. slowly pour the pellets out of a small cookie sheet so it's a thin horizontal stream thru the airstream and into the large container. Repeat if necessary. You may have adjust the distance the fan is from the stream and adjust fan speed.

This works just fine toward bottom of the bag, just strain dust into bucket dump clean pellets into hopper. I use the dust in my amaz'n tray.

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_092905.jpg
    IMG_20210922_092905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
Am I still in the right place or did I end up in the looney forum? Must be one of those bait & switch links I followed. I was looking for a BBQ forum. :unsure:

"Dust in the wind" .. Yeah.. I'm in the right place ;). At least that is a good tune.

Sorry.. back on topic. I'll go away peacefully now.

backing up homer simpson GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back